Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_172429742

Are there any privacy screening plants/evergreens that grow in shade?

HU-172429742
last year
last modified: last year

I just moved in to a new home, the lots are sloped and so the neighbors backyard overlooks our backyard. There are many large trees between us, so in the summer I am not worried about privacy,. But while the trees are bare it feels exposed to be in our backyard. I am wondering if there are any options for planting evergreens on our side of the large trees for added privacy? We are located in Zone 6. Here is the area in question, the idea would be to move this smaller woodshed and plant a line of evergreens in it's place to get some more height when they mature

Comments (50)

• wdccruise
    last year

"But while the trees are bare it feels exposed to be in our backyard."

"Spotlight effect

"The spotlight effect is the psychological phenomenon by which people tend to believe they are being noticed more than they really are. Being that one is constantly in the center of one's own world, an accurate evaluation of how much one is noticed by others is uncommon. The reason for the spotlight effect is the innate tendency to forget that although one is the center of one's own world, one is not the center of everyone else's...

"Research has empirically shown that such drastic over-estimation of one's effect on others is widely common. Many professionals in social psychology encourage people to be conscious of the spotlight effect and to allow this phenomenon to moderate the extent to which one believes one is in a social spotlight."

• latifolia
    last year

Holly, mountain laurel, rhododendron

HU-172429742 thanked latifolia
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

I take the point @wdccruise is making and do agree with it. I would strongly encourage you to leave things alone for a full season. For one, your outdoors time is limited by cold weather when trees aren’t leafed out. For another, the neighboring windows that are barely visible through the trees now don’t look like daytime living windows but rather bed or bath windows. Not likely to have anyone looking out at you much of the time. The biggest thing to consider IMO is the loss of light you’ll receive in your yard by blocking it with very tall evergreens which is what would be needed to block out the windows so you can’t see them. The stand of trees that are there do an excellent job of diffusing the view both ways. I wonder how long you have lived there and if you have had the opportunity yet to view your home & property from their vantage point? The plants @latifolia mentions are pretty & can be large shrubs. You’d really need to cut some trees to give them ample space, especially the rhododendron if they grow in your area the same as in mine. They wouldn’t ’block’ a view in the near future but would be something to draw ones eye when in bloom - not sure that’s what you want - to attract attention that is.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Do you spend a lot of time in winter (when the trees are bare) in your backyard? I can't imagine a zone 6 winter would be very conducive to that so perhaps this isn't as much of a concern as you might imagine it to be?

• marmiegard_z7b
    last year

I often have the same feeling, especially my house also has a screened porch off the back, at mud tree level and I can here and see neighbors across the way in winter & somewhat in summer. I’ve tried to learn to de-sensitize somewhat.

Furthermore, I’m so lucky to have the overhead power line at the back of my shallow backyard and can’t plant anything tall— the power company will just cut it down.

I’ve compensated with some plant shelves on porch, ‘cause I like that any.

I CAN plant shrubs, and want more anyway for birds cover, so my plan over time is to plant a few things along there but not worry if decide, and maybe small ornamental trees— might have to source dwarf cultivars—just for soften, and when I’m noodling about down in wild ish yard area ( also plan regular lower- growing native plants) , it won’t be a hedge or fence, but just softened.

Plus, …. deer. So I can’t use medium- sized arborvitae which are typical fast growing screening.

If you actually plan a sitting area, there’s lots of posts here about screening closer to that, either planters, lattice, a few taller narrow shrubs. But good to still leave somewhat porous, or at least focus on aesthetics rather than blackout, because, yes, spotlight effect.

• btydrvn
    last year

From a different perspective…I think evergreens will be prettier for you to look at in the winter….

HU-172429742 thanked btydrvn
  • marmiegard_z7b
    last year

btdryvn, I agree but with caveat of then could choose species for their visual appeal in winter , rather than, “ I need something real tall and real evergreen / desnse FAST!”

In my wild, harsh ( takes a bit of effort to get a hose down there for watering) sunny arrears I’m planting a few things like low- growing junipers, and a few things that might have red or purple foliage in winter, because I can see some of these out the window in winter. Amidst a sea of brown and fallen leaves.

• Mrs. Beasley
    last year

Columnar junipers.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Columnar junipers - or any junipers for that matter - will not do well in much shade. Neither will most conifers unless choosing something like Green Giant arborvitae but those will get much larger than you probably want or need.

A broadleaved evergreen is likely a better choice. Schip laurels grow fast with adequate irrigation, are very shade tolerant and deal well with root competition. Hollies are another possibility but grow quite slowly and are not as adaptable to shadier conditions.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

where are you.. minimum winter temp isnt good enough.. big ckty name... z6 is too divergent to base assumptions on ...

you just moved in.. the next planting time is fall ... lets see how everything leafs out .. and then make some decisions about planting....

as noted.. are you really going to be spending time out there in winter.. i highly doubt it. .. but for the fact that you just moved in.. this is probably not really an issue in the long run ...

all conifers are full sun.. some can tolerate shade more than others.. but what happens when you reduce full sun.. is vigor.. you can plant whatever you want int here.. but it might take a decade or two for it to grow large enough to accomplish your goal ... thats not to say you dont plant something in fall... but just dont have high expectations that you will accomplish anything.. anytime soon ...

perhaps over time.. you can thin the canopy... so you can grow things with more vigor in there....

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

why do you have to move the woodshed.. is there a property line issue you failed to mention??

ken

• HU-172429742
    Original Author
    last year

@ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 moving the woodshed is my preference, thanks. Located near Boston

• HU-172429742
    Original Author
    last year

@KW PNW Z8 Thanks for the advice of leaving it for a season, we do spend a decent amount of time outdoors even in colder weather. Not pictured was the neighbors deck (just to the right of the frame of this picture) which faces towards our house rather than towards the back, as well as their recreational shed faces our deck, so ideally the evergreens would be to give us both privacy from each other.

Definitely not expecting a quick solution but would love something nicer to look at, cutting back some of the trees is also a possibility. We have hemlocks growing within the taller trees so I was wondering if they (or any other evergreen) would take root in this particular spot

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    last year

Here are a few suggestions using Mahonia beali & cephalotaxus & Sweetbay magnolia:

HU-172429742 thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

I do not want my neighbours to see me when I am in my garden And I’m pretty sure the feeling is mutual. Perhaps this is a cultural thing but privacy is of huge importance to me. Impinging on a neighbours’ territory whether by sound or sight is invasive imo. Telling the OP they shouldn’t care and belittling their genuine feelings by putting the word in inverted commas isn’t advice, it's judgement.

• marmiegard_z7b
    last year

Some discussion of perception as well as plant species is especially valid when dealing with hilly neighborhoods and multi- story houses.

In some situations, the slope math would work out that the neighbors may still able to each other unless you have 40” tall screening. Which is not commonly attainable in the time frames usually under consideration, if at all.

But in other landscaping results, the family might feel more protected and private but neighbors might still be able to see you from certain vantage points—and so depends on how successful that would be judged.

And on and on considering when and where you are outdoors and growing conditions in various areas.

It can be useful to look at the deciduous trees and estimate the height(s) at which “ screening “ occurs when leafed out.

• 3onthetree
    last year

Since you moved in winter, wait til July. You'll see how much understory/brush blocks view as well. And may find echoing between houses from their deck use, so you decide on a fence for a tiny bit of acoustic separation, which could affect plant placement. Removing a portion of trees may come into play too. And you get to see over time if there are any water issues with their higher lots. So privacy, acoustic, water mitigation, landscaping aesthetics, space around your drive/yard can all be addressed at the same time.

• Jilly
    last year

The pushback and disdain people get on this board for wanting privacy in/at their homes is so bizarre.

Sorry I don’t have suggestions, OP. I hope you find a good solution.

HU-172429742 thanked Jilly
  • btydrvn
    last year

I think we are all a little attached to how and where we grow up…when we move to new environments… we miss what we are used to…at the same time some of us are drawn to move to new areas that are different..this definitely creates new demands on Mother Nature as we try to include things we love that are not native to our new choices..having grown up in the redwoods it is still hard for me to embrace the (dead looking) trees that lose their leaves in winter…but one thing never changes for me …I always like privacy in my outdoor spaces..in any climate or location

• btydrvn
    last year

So evergreens are always an important element

• Rebecca Parnianchi
    last year

My family enjoys our privacy and we have always been able to ensure this no matter where we live, from dense urban areas to more rural areas.

There are a number of ways you can do this, including: planting zone-friendly evergreens, strategically placed buildings and structures that create a visual screen.

One thing to note is that you don't want overdo it and make yourself feel 'boxed in.' I encourage you to evaluate your views from the areas in your indoor/outdoor spaces where you plan to spend the most time. Note which elements you want to block from view. Then, place a combination of objects (buildings, plants, etc) to block the undesired views, but only the undesired views. This will leave open the areas where there are no issues. The end result will be a private, yet open-feeling, space for you and your family to enjoy!

By the way, your property is beautiful, congratulations! ☺️

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

@wdccruise, if you had actually offered advice, that would be one thing. What you did, however, is quote from social science to belittle the OP's need/want for privacy. Not helpful or kind. The best advice for you is to just bow out.

• arcy_gw
    last year

We live in a stand of burr oaks. Average 100 years old. Come summer the undergrowth completely hides the neighbors. Come winter everytime it snows they disappear again as the snow sticks to the branches. I would not suggest many of the evergreens mentioned if there is any possibility of deer in your area. A few of the neighbors have quite the array in the front yards and they were all decimated this winter by deer.

• btydrvn
    last year

Good point… there are deer resistant evergreens to choose from…but honestly it is not a guarantee…deer can be destructive when hungry…which implies using fence…and…deer resistant choices…are a good idea

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    last year

wdccruise

6 hours ago

@floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK: "Perhaps this is a cultural thing but privacy is of huge importance to me."

Yes, it's you and your "feelings".

It's also the OP's feelings!

HU-172429742 thanked shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

"Yes, it's you and your "feelings". "

As I said above, my neighbours do not wish to see me any more than I want to see them. We don't invade each others personal space by looking into each other's windows so why should we see into others' gardens? Ignoring the feelings of others is not being a good neighbour.

HU-172429742 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • PRO
    last year

Just thinking more about your privacy needs and shade plants. My landscaper clarified "shade" plants as those that will grow in shade, versus those that will thrive. A tree or plant can tolerate shade, but it still needs sun to thrive, as sun provides the fuel to make the food for growth.

Perhaps you might consider a fence between your two properties? It need not be intrusive, but blend into the landscape. A wood fence painted a shade of green can provide privacy and recede into the background.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Diana, the statement your landscaper made is misleading. There are many plants that thrive in shade and will prefer to grow under those conditions. If they receive much direct sun at all it can cause issues and they will fail to thrive.

Since the OP has just recently moved in (winter, when the trees are leafless), it is difficult to judge just how shady this area may be in summer. Many of the suggestions provided by those few who did offer some actual plant choices will work perfectly well in all day filtered shade, partial shade or even shade most of the day. And since the area is quite light in winter, I believe any would work in that location.

A comment was made earlier about "boxing yourself in". This can be a real concern if your choice is a dense wall of tall evergreens. They can become almost intimidating and a sense of privacy becomes more a sense of enclosure or the feeling of being boxed in. As a professional landscape designer, I encounter this sensation more often than one would expect. Much of the sense of privacy is an emotional response to feeling that one is "on view", whether they actually are or not. And that is easily countered by lower growing, thoughtfully sited plants rather than a tall, solid screen. Even a fence can work to provide a sense of enclosure and protection that will offer the feeling of privacy you desire.

Everyone's perception of this is different as is every specific gardening site. Personally, the current situation would not bother me at all. It is a generously sized property and the neighbors' sightlines are not breathing down your neck. And in a zone 6 setting, I would be spending very little time outdoors in my backyard so the perception of the lack of wintertime privacy would be moot :-) Only the OP is in a position to make the determination of exactly how much privacy they want or need.

• marmiegard_z7b
    last year

So, I guess I was trying to say what Rebecca and gardengal said better. No need to fuss over someone’s desire for privacy. The pint is more, the OP is likely going to need a combination of design elements, thoughtfully sited, to produce a form of privacy that is feasible, durable , attractive. And the most desirable may not be the most complete, in the long run.

Hence needs some time, observation and making lists, bubble plans much like house design, & probably some professional assistance, though only the homeowner can inform the professional of needs, wants, would be nice’s. Also may not be found in the big box store.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    last year

Where is the property line (just behind the buildings or somewhere in the trees?)

Which way is north? (Where's the sun in relation to this section of yard?) I see shadows coming from the right ... is that east, south, or west?

What's to the right? Is it open or are there lots of trees there? (What elements make this area shady? (Just what we see in this picture? The house? Something to the right?)

Deer don't read the books on what is and isn't deer resistant ... there are something that are certainly deer candy, but they're not very descriminant. Things I can tell you they definitely will eat (at least in our yard): yew (deer candy), mountain laurel, and juniper.

• HU-172429742
    Original Author
    last year

@BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA

The property line is in the trees behind the shed, North would be behind the camera (This is the north side of those trees/shed, etc.) From this picture the sun rises from the left and sets on the right. The shade comes from the larger shed on the right and the trees in the photo that have not leafed out yet

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    last year

Ouch, that's a difficult situation. There are evergreens that can survive there, but they will grow slowly, and be thin and wispy. Not what you want for a screen.

• btydrvn
    last year

Another option is bamboo fencing…even to just bridge the time til your plantings are full grown..it is inexpensive..pretty…lightweight…yet allowing a little sunlight …breeze…muted view…

• btydrvn
    last year

We installed it over our wire fencing to create a little privacy around our outdoor jacuzzi…still working more than 15 years later

• PRO
    last year

@gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) I certainly take your expertise as a landscape professional with a lot of respect. I stand corrected, and would be interested also in shrubs that thrive in shade in Zone 7 (coastal southern New York).

• Mrs. Beasley
    last year

My friend has the same situation as you do. We live in Northern Illinois and she planted Junipers. I’ll try to post pics.

• Mrs. Beasley
    last year

Her neighbors are directly behind her junipers. She said the junipers would prefer more sunlight but I think they’re doing well in the part sun part shade.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I would never suggest planting a juniper in anything less than full sun. ALL junipers want full sun!

• mrykbee
    last year

Well, these seem to have solved her problem regardless. They don’t need to grow perfectly to 60 feet to do that.

I think I’d plant Western Cedars /Thuja. I had a row of them on the north side of my neighbor’s house with much more shade than this and they did great. Im in an urban area and we just took them out bc they got TOO big even in almost full shade. I don’t have deer.

You have a lot more space and probably have deer. I’d let the deer eat the bottoms. Then plant some kind of bush deer don’t like to cover the holes if they happen. The tops will do their job and give you great privacy.

• mrykbee
    last year

Also, privacy is important in the winter too if you don’t love the view.

• Embothrium
    last year

The shaded junipers shown above have already developed some significant gaps within their individual crowns, are only going to get thinner as time goes on. Any screening planting of evergreens near Boston is going to take decades to size up. Whereas a solid wood fence can be built in a short amount of time. And occupies very little horizontal space. In addition, deer will not jump a solid fence they cannot see over from a standing position. Of course, solid wood fences are not cheap.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Taxus. I have two Hicksii that I love.

• marmiegard_z7b
    last year

I think deer eat those?

I have the harringtonia, which they haven’t touched ( yet!) but they are low- growing.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

That's right, I don't have deer problem here, I guess Taxus are a favorite of deer?

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    last year

Yes, deer adore Taxus ... they come eat the one literally outside our front door.

• Paul F.
    last year

You're not up to no good are you?

• zoey z
    last year

Ginkgo trees measure 14 feet in height and 5 feet in width. They are hardy, require little maintenance, and their leaves turn an attractive golden color in the fall.

Next is the bamboo, which grows quickly and is hardy. Typically, bamboo reaches 10 feet in a pot and 12 to 15 feet in the ground.

The last type is the brightly colored dogwood. It produces white, pink, and red flowers in changing seasons. With a height of 15 feet and a canopy width of 15 feet, it is suitable for medium to large backyards. Suitable for planting in moist, well-drained soil.

• mrykbee
    last year

It isn’t true that a privacy screen will take decades to fill in near Boston. My cedar hedge took 3 years to fill in. They started about 6 feet tall and covered a large Victorian house looming on my pretty darn quickly. Try the now ubiquitous green giants. You have the space.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

@zoey z, I'd be cautious with some of your statements :-) They are not particularly accurate and can be misleading to novice gardeners. ALL the plants you list can and usually do grow much larger than you imply. Also, ginkgoes will not do well in much shade. And flowering dogwood trees come with white OR pink flowers but not really both, unless you call the rosy aging of the whites (much like some white flowered hydrangeas) as multiple flower colors.