Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irene_gonzalez5

Is something happening under my floor??

My kitchen floor is 16×16 ceramic tiles (concrete underneath) A few weeks ago I noticed a area sound hollow that hadn't before & just recently when walking in that same area I started to hear a low crackling sound. *These are Not New floors (20+yrs).
Am I just crazy or is it possible something changed underneath?

Comments (6)

• Irene Gonzalez
    Original Author
    11 months ago

The crackling & Hollow sound isn't in 1 spot anymore it's now covering a larger area..like it's spreading.

• PRO
    JP FLOORING SOLUTIONS
    11 months ago

Yes that's what I was trying to say that if u don't fix it is probably gonna keep spreading , I would recommend you either replace the damage areas or think about getting a new floor

• PRO
    Right Flooring
    11 months ago

Also, it could've been that the adhesive has worn out or that the flooring absorbs too much water. It could also be because of the activity in the kitchen space. I agree with the first comment. Buy a piece of the flooring and have it repaired. Have it done right away to prevent the crack from spreading.

• Timothy Winzell
    11 months ago

I'm a wood dealer, so not a tile expert, but I have seen this before. Is your subfloor wood or concrete? In either case, the difference in movement in the subfloor vs. the tile can cause it to debond. I've been told by clients that their tiles came loose and in some cases blew up off of the floor. Best to have an expert look and determine the cause.

• A
    11 months ago

Check for water leaks. With a slab on grade foundation, your pipes are not visible so you may not see a leak. To check the supply lines: With all water-using fixtures and appliances turned off, check your water meter to see if you are using water, or with a well, check to see if the pump is turning on or watch the pressure gauge to see if it changes. If you have any faucets that drip, fix them before checking so you don’t get a false positive. The waste lines (drain lines) are more difficult to check by yourself but a leaking drain line under the slab could also potential cause a problem. Your dishwasher could also be leaking under the tile. If your tile doesn’t run all the way under your dishwasher and cabinets, you may not see it. You may be able to identify that with a moisture meter if you remove the front panel of the dishwasher where the electrical connection are made. Be sure to unplug the dishwasher or turn off the breaker before removing the panel because there are live wires in there. Then use a moisture meter to check the moisture level of the floor under the dishwasher.