11 months ago

Amarylis

Red Oriental Lily

Rhododendron

Brad

Comments (12)

• organic_kitten
    11 months ago

You have some gorgeous blooms, Brad. I especially love that red Amarylis .

kay

• lilykate7a
    11 months ago

The garden amaryllis is gorgeous! As is the oriental lily-what blooms! My rhododendrum finally bloomed after five years!

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 months ago

I do like that Amaryllis. Do you know the name of it? Is it kept in the ground over winter? Most I've seen are ones done indoors. Lillies took fabulours in a clump.

Julia

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    11 months ago

Nice blooms, Brad ! I’m curious if the amaryllis are hardy for you too.

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    11 months ago

Beautiful blooms! Like all the others, I like the amaryllis. We always have a few in the house, but they won't overwinter here. I love the pink lily. Ours haven't started yet, but they are getting close.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 months ago

Wow Brad. What a sight to see. Everything looks lovely. I especially like the amaryllis. Is it one of those dutch bulbs that you planted and it survived? I'd think it would be way too cold for them there.........We have neutral to alkaline soil, so no Rhodies here, but they sure are pretty in spring..............Maryl

• Brad KY 6b
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Thanks everyone for the comments. I got the Amaryllis a few years ago locally from a friend. She didn't even know what kind of flower they were, but they always bloomed wonderfully for her. She had some in shade and some in sun; the ones in the sun flowered better. They just live outside in the ground year round, just as easy as daylilies. The lilies are on the left of my mailbox and the Amaryllis on the right.

The Rhododendron didn't really start blooming well until I started using pine needles for mulch. It is still erratic as some years it is full of blooms and others just a few. And occasionally it will have some blooms in the fall

Every year I have several neat flowers that naturally grow in the creek area. This year I have one called Butterweed. Quite pretty and lasted at least a month or more.

closer view of the Amaryllis

Brad

• Nancy 6b
    11 months ago

Love that amaryllis, Brad. I looked it up and found a place on line to order, then something came up and I forgot to ever place the order. I need to do that. I think it was a fall planted bulb, so I should have time. I think I have those same red lilies blooming here, and rhododendrons, Brad. Do you know if I should be trimming my rhodos back, they seem to be getting really wide and gapped?

• shive
    11 months ago

You have lots of pretties as a prelude to daylily season!

• Brad KY 6b
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks Debra!

Nancy, from what I've read, if you trim back Rhododendrons you may not have blooms for a couple of years. So I've been afraid to try it though my father-in-law trims his back with no problem. Maybe depends on the variety? Actually, mine got that way for a couple of years but then filled in. Perhaps it is the way the grow?

Brad

• mantis__oh
    11 months ago

Way ahead of us! Surely, that is an Asiatic lily. Do you know the name? Here, the orientals are among the last to bloom. Nice color, and perfect leaves on amaryllis and lilies.

• Brad KY 6b
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Manits, I don't know the name of the lily. It is the most profuse and reliable I've ever had. All others, whether oriental or asiatic, eventially died off. This spreads like crazy.

I don't know the difference between Oriental and Asiatic. Is there a general way to tell?

Brad