Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherine_pakosta

window grill size help!

Catherine Pakosta
12 months ago

Deciding between 5/8” or 7/8” window grills for new construction (transitional style). These are from house that was already built but I can’t tell size! Def going with square profile. Help with size?!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    12 months ago

The person that designed the house should be able to answer your question, if they exist.

• millworkman
    12 months ago

Are these between the glass? Removable interior grilles?

• Catherine Pakosta
    Original Author
    12 months ago

They are SDL

• millworkman
    12 months ago

Internal spacer bar with applied interior and exterior grilles then? Will the windows all be casements? Patio Doors?

• nickel_kg
    12 months ago

Exterior view of house might help

• Anne Duke
    12 months ago

Not an answer, but if that was my view, I’d want it unobstructed.

• Catherine Pakosta
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Casement. Exterior view if this helps!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 months ago

If you like the treatment on the already-built house, can you visit it and see what they used?

• cpartist
    12 months ago

I find grills in a window can have a positive effect on the appearance of a home and have a tendency to 'disappear' when viewing out a window. They can be used to help define the separation between indoors and outdoors.

I agree, whereas without grilles, especially on a traditional or transitional home, the windows wind up looking like black holes.

Carry the grill layout in every window in the house where appropriate. I designed a Prairie Style home with Prairie Style grills throughout the home, but the client only bought windows with grills on the front of the house.

Absolutely all windows should look the same.

BTW: Pretty house.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 months ago

Yes, definitely a very nice-looking home!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    12 months ago

Hopefully the pleasant aesthetics of the house is carried all the way around the house.

• Catherine Pakosta
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Yes, all windows will have grilles! Just can’t decide between 5/8” or 7/8”!!

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    12 months ago

Again. it is a personal choice. I prefer the 7/8", which is more popular and substantial. I have always referred to the 5/8" as more historical, as that is frequently in 100-year-old homes.

• cpartist
    12 months ago

I just measured mine. My house is craftsman style and it's 7/8". I have grilles only on the top half to play off the craftsman look.

For your house it really has a more traditional feel, so I'd go with 7/8" to play it up. I think 5/8" will look too skimpy.

• millworkman
    12 months ago

What brand window? Do they have the "internal spacer" to give it the true SDL appearance? I am surprised those are your options. 3/4" is more common from what I recall.

• Catherine Pakosta
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Lincoln with internal spacer.

• millworkman
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

I would ask if you are sold on Lincoln but I will assume so. Is the 5/8" or 7/8" the exterior/interior grid or the width of the internal spacer? If the interior/exterior grille I would for casements and a modern house go with 5/8".

• cpartist
    12 months ago

^^ except her house style leans more traditional with the rafter tails and the overall look

• millworkman
    12 months ago

Ok, but still with casements I prefer the thinner grille (or in this case muntin).