Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nita_chanel

Help with exterior stone

Nita Chanel
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

Hi all. We are in the process of building our home. The exterior stone just went up and it does not look like I expexted it to look. During the selections process, we showed examples of the stone we were interested in that were in the same community and confirmed that we selected that same stone. However, what we received looks totally different. Whats worse is that it looks almost exactly like our neighbors home. At this point we are considering either staining all the stone to a blackish color or white washing. Any thoughts or advice on either? Any other possible solutions? TIA!

What we thought we were getting:

What we got:

Comments (14)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    11 months ago

I actually don’t see much of a difference, and the house is beautiful. I guess you’ll have to see what recourse you have with the builder. Did you check the choices of the neighbors to see if you were ordering the same products? Maybe it’s a good thing that you and the neighbors have similar tastes - you’ll get along wonderfully. Hope it works out for you!

• Nita Chanel
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you @ShadyWillowFarm. To me, there is more contrast with the lighter and darker stones than what I have on my home.

• T T
    11 months ago

I would leave it. It looks much like what you thought you were getting.  Colors may vary a bit from lot to lot.

• P.D. Schlitz
    11 months ago

Looks like a happy accident to me, as what you got looks better than what you requested (IMO). Nice home!

• paristerri
    11 months ago

The grout lines in the one you thought you were getting appear to be a very light color but the grout lines in the one you got appear much darker. Could that be why you think it's a different stone?

• tlynn1960
    11 months ago

I immediately noticed the high contrast colorway of the first photo. I think what's currently being added to your home is actually an improvement (less busy) since you've already got multiple gables, differing window/shutter styles and window boxes.

• Nita Chanel
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@ShadyWillowFarm, yes, we took that photo to thr selections meeting and they confirmed what we selected was the same.

• Nita Chanel
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@tlynn1960. yes, there is definitely more contrast. thoughts on darkening most stones so that it is not as ”busy”?

• P.D. Schlitz
    11 months ago

I get that it can be frustrating to get something other than what you were envisioning, esp with so many other stressors/choices in building a new home and this being one of the final elements. That said, I really think you may want to try living with the current stone for a year and seeing how you feel about it then (as this can always be modified later). If you still aren’t happy you could play around with selectively adding more contrast.

Not sure if you are looking for opinions on the current stone, but to me it looks a lot fresher than the first photo— there’s something about dark stone with high contrast whites/grays that always gives me a 70s vibe.

• K Laurence
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Honestly , I think yours looks better than what’s pictured above…. landscaping will make a big difference, keep that in mind, everything will ”soften” in appearance, somewhat.

• res2architect
    11 months ago

New stonework mortar will look darker and when it gets lighter the color of the stone will appear to change too.

• houssaon
    11 months ago

I agree that your application looks better. The stone is beatiful. I would not do anything to it. Let it age as is.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 months ago

• cpartist
    11 months ago

Your morter is darker which is why it doesn't appear to have as much contrast.