Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deaka1023

What kind of tree might this be?

Kez (Z7 OK)
11 months ago

This is a tree growing in my friend’s forsythia she has cut it down numerous times but it always comes back anyone know what it

is?

Comments (16)

• Jay 6a Chicago
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Looks like one of the Swida/Cornus species. Swida racemosa? Cornus floridana and Cornus japonica are the only 2 Cornus species that were moved to Benthamidia. Cornus canadense, Bunchberry is now Chamaepericlymenum canadense, and all other north American Cornus species are now Swida.🤷‍♂️ Not my doing, I'm just the messenger.😏

• Kez (Z7 OK)
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you so much!

• ViburnumValley central KY Bluegrass z6
    11 months ago

I'm firmly in @gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) 's camp. Styphnolobium japonicum just refuses to roll off the tongue.

I'm curious: is there a concomitant alteration of the accepted/predominant common name when members of a genus like Cornus are unceremoniously swept over into Swida? And what gives that now Nyssaceae are lumped with Swida under Cornaceae?

In the name of all that is good and holy...

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Take a deep breath, Jay. This sounds like one of your blips which I’m sure you’ll think better of later.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 months ago

I don’t understand why some are so resistant, offended even, by the ever evolving nomenclature of botanical taxonomy. As science unveils more and more secrets about a plant’s origin, it’s important, in terms of scientific accuracy, to make the necessary corrections. I am fascinated by the research personally and am surprised that some plant professionals are not. But ridiculing the science, the taxonomists, and changes in plant names is…..well, head scratching to me.

That does’t mean that it’s easy for me to immediately start using the more accurate nomenclature, not at all. But it doesn’t take long, really it doesn’t. I would hate to think that botanical taxonomy is a dead, stagnant science, never evolving as all sciences must in order to remain relevant.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    11 months ago

If there was a love option Id give you one rhizo and thanks! The majority of plant people I know are like you and welcome changes and advancements in taxonomy.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 months ago

It's not a change in taxonomy that is objectionable - as noted, those are to be expected with time and continued study - but rather the officious and pedantic method with which it is presented.

And then to be so rudely chided when not immediately accepting of those changes.

I can't be bothered to address the rest of the nonsense that was written.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    10 months ago

New taxon names reflect the most recent scientic studies and DNA findings. Everyone is free to use synonyms or common names, the main objective is to convey to the listener exactly what unique species/entity you are referring to. Botanists always strive to be current with the most recent treatments, but even they don't always agree with a change and will continue to use another taxonomist treatment which again boils down to making the listener unserstand what species is being discussed. Cornus was split into 3 genera after hundreds of years of study and observation. I can't remember or spell or correctly pronounce the new name for Cornus canadensis, so I use Cornus, but I still accept and respect the new name.😁

• krnuttle
    10 months ago

For the dummies like me Cornus floridana is a Japanese Dogwood. the rest of the names are for various dogwood trees. Thanks to google I know what the plant is.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    10 months ago

I don't want to give the impression that botany people always use the most current nonmenclature religiously. It's not like that at all. Botany people do want to know the most current name, and then it's their perogative to accept it, or reject it and continue to use whatever treatment they believe. And we like to mix things up and purposely use older synonyms to make the conversation more interesting. Then there's common names, and some plants have several common names. We use common names for laughs you know they generate a lot of humor. Then we have our own nicknames for plants which is a laugh too woohoo. Finally, we use codenames that contain enough information that the other plant person should be able to figure it out. I suppose symbols or hyrogliphics could be a 6th way of naming plants. I have to give out new names and send the memo. If I didn't, I'd feel like I wasn't being honest and careing, but everybody's free to call plants whatever they want, as long as it doesn't hurt anybody. You know, don't tell someone it's celery, when you know it's poison hemlock. It's a horrible invasive here. Who in their right mind would bring poison hemlock to this continent?

10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

I'm guessing there must have been a purge...6/27/2023

I just looked at an email notification of a post on this thread from @Jay 6a Chicago, which arrived with me at 2:14 pm today. There it gives a blurb of what the poster wrote; in this case, all I can read is that blurb because there is no complete posting at the end of the thread and I'd really like to read what apoplectic response I managed to elicit from my contribution a month ago.

Here's what I got to see; if anyone else managed to capture the rest, feel free to fling it my way.

"Viburnum Valley, why do you run your mouth about things you have absolutely no knowledge of? Your word salad of phoney intellectualism is a joke. You..."

With apologies in advance to Robert McKimson and Mel Blanc...

"Who's responsible for this unwarranted attack on my person?"

"Looks like the boy genius is tryin' to show me up."

"That's a joke son, I say, that's a joke."

"Now what, I say, what's the big idea bashin' me on the noggin' with a rollin' pin!"

"Stop, I say stop it boy, you're doin’ a lot of choppin’ but no chips are flyin’.”

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 months ago

VV, I may have contributed to that purge :-) As a previous poster to this thread, I received notice of the newest comment earlier today, read it and then promptly reported it. It was rude, malicious and a very personal attack, all of which are against Houzz policy. I will also be reporting the most recent comment by the offending party, which has been written in the same abusive manner.

People are entitled to differing opinions and are free to state them without fear of unpleasant reprisals from those who seem to be unable or incapable to present themselves and their views politely on a public forum. I have also been the recipient of Jay's verbal abuse and will not stand for it myself or with others!

Jay maybe knowledgeable wrt plant ID and especially with native species, however that does not give him the right to go on these abusive personal tirades against whomever whenever the mood or personality strikes. His statement in another thread that he is leaving the site was received by me with some relief. I have been jumped on by him and his fellows just a few too many times to be very tolerant any longer.

10 months ago

Are you sure? Perhaps you meant...(interpreted via Wm. Shakespeare)

"... thou clay brained guts, thou knotty pated fool, thou whoreson obscene greasy tallow catch!”

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    10 months ago

Well, I can't say this is "fun", but it's certainly entertaining.

Not to mention confusing, lol.

My filling in the blanks is probably much worse than the actual missing comments.

Then again, maybe not :P

• Marie Tulin
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

i think this thread needs to cool down and though im clearly not the god of garden web ( no power at all even of persuasion)

peraps we should let it die a peaceful death.