Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janice_templeton55

pony wall size

J T
11 months ago

I would appreciate thoughts on the size of a pony wall in a bathroom remodel shower. The shower bench will have granite on top and the pony wall will have a granite cap as well. Otherwise large format (24x48) tile.
We like more rather than less glass to allow as much light as possible. I don’t like the look of glass framing the end of the bench - thus the pony wall a give a more finished look to the bench.
Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

You are only showing the length of the shower

What is the depth?

Does this have a curb, or is glass to shower floor? I see nothing wrong with a curb...or lower the "floor" of that shower.

Are you using "heavy" glass and yes, that is best if you want frameless doors.

A door is best hinged to solid wall.....not glass to glass.

Better Bench side and (all curb if there is one ) ......granite.

No pony wall. Ruins what you want : ) and a 28 inch door is plenty. Leave ten inches at all top glass, or at least on door.....for steam escape

Essentially? as below and a lot better looking than a pony. Just use the granite side versus tile. But It looks better this way.: ) In no way does it look "unfinished."

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago

I do not like built in benches or niches in showers. Have you actually seen the work of the tiler you are using? That size tile requires avery perfect structure underneath it and a very experienced tile setter for sure not some random contractor. As for the pony wall I need to see the whole bathroom plan . Yes you need a space for the stem to escape for sure.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

There is nothing wrong with a built in bench. ........The OP did not show or mention a niche. The BENCH eliminates the need for one, actually. Set the shampoo right there.

For the cleanest easiest appearance? Two or three granite corner shelves, planned at the time shower is being built.....12 inches on two wall sides, straight across front with simple straight ease /polish gives you a foot spot shaving a leg, and product space.

Clean, easy peasy.

That said, there are plenty of circumstances, personal, and an argument FOR the bench.

• JJ
    11 months ago

Thanks for the helpful comments! In answer to questions - curbless, 42" wide - so 42x72. Bench with it's own hand held shower for future - designing to age in place. Not using full ADA dimensions though (for example a 36" shower door). This master bath is upstairs. If full ADA is ever needed we will remodel downstairs bathroom.

• JJ
    11 months ago

Sorry for this messy sketch...we know a right hinged shower door attached to wall structure is far better... we were concerned that walking past the 32" shower door, opening it, then reaching back to the main shower valve would feel awkward. (Note: we do not want a pony wall as large as the one you see in the sketch - much smaller or no pony wall)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

I won't ask your age. I am not against the age in place concept........it is just that age in place and ADA are in actuality, quite a bit different.

Age in place more aptly describes A FIRST FLOOR PRIMARY suite, despite not full A.D A dimensions and heights.

More than that? By the time you would need ADA on a main living floor? Other complicating factors arise. Outside help, procuring goods and services, transportation.......meal prep. Even social isolation factors in. It rarely succeeds over time, and is actually often more expensive than a move to assisted or semi independent living. Don't ask how I know.....: )

Back at this bath? Don't over think a future need on an upper floor, unless planning a chair lift, or elevator , and that means put the hand held on same wall with main shower head. You can add a seat for a broken ankle, as I will mention the cool s.l.ip.p.e.r.y granite on your tush won't feel that great. LOL. The whole concept needs a bit of thought. Including a curb, to keep the water IN the shower. If you can't step over 4 inches? You already have problems. Beats wiping up a bath floor too.

• JJ
    11 months ago

Jan - Thanks for making sure we aren't missing details... yes, ADA and age in place are extremely different. We've both had extensive ankle surgeries from injuries (non-weight bearing with a walker and we could not use our shower with a curb) thus curbless and a 32" shower door was a must in our bathroom remodel. We will opt for blocking rather than grab bars everywhere we might need them in the future. Floor waterproofing outside of shower and in floor heat as well.

Back to pony wall - I like the clean look in your sketch and photo example. I think we'll eliminate the pony wall. The granite is very different from the tile (see below). Which do you (or anyone!) like better? 1. whole bench in granite or 2. top of bench and outside of shower vertical end in granite - front side of bench in the tile?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

I'd do just the top of bench and side in granite. What is the shower floor, which needs a pitch, what is the drain , linear or centered?

You don't need to waterproof a bath floor barring an absolute flood! Never would there be enough standing water and bear in mind if you heat that floor....avoid turning on the heat until a full month post tile. Or risk cracks in the tile.

A slide style hand held also functions as a grab bar. Grab bars? By the time you realize you need it's usually after the fall. They make sense no matter your age, and come in very decent looking modern options. Really, if your shower floor is matte, a mosaic, and grouted? It doesn't really GET slippery, the fall would be due to something else. Worse. Ditto a bath floor. Matte finish

• JJ
    11 months ago

Shower floor (and entire bathroom floor) 24x48 large format, R11. Same tile on walls, but not R11 of course. All Arizona tile Unica Moon as in photo. Full length (adjustable) linear drain with drop in tile for clean look. Floor appropriately sloped to the linear drain.

We specifically chose a tile person with lots of large format experience. Waterproofing extends a few inches out of the shower. Ditra heat in the bathroom floor (thanks for the month wait to use tip!)

Totally agree on fall before grab :-), but good for universal design as you say. Moen grab bars to match other Moen components - not like hospital grab bars thankfully! No bath mats - trip hazard!

Still leaning toward no pony wall...granite on top and side of bench - thanks for that nudge!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

@ JJ

Yes, the granite side solves your perceived "unfinished" angst.......But.

Look again here below. See how the side of the bench is in harmony with the back wall of the shower, ditto the curb front. The most visible wall is the back. Was my suggestion a compromise? In a way, yes. Have I changed my mind ? In a way, yes. Why? Because you do not have a curb. That granite will not be repeated elsewhere in the shower. Maybe a couple corner shelves at the plumbing wall in granite. Please DO skip a niche.

Look again, picture that square....

We could probably debate this all day. : )

• cpartist
    11 months ago

I do not like built in benches or niches in showers.

Funny I don't recall anyone asking if you liked them.