Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_403869603

Laundry Room Layout!

Bri B
11 months ago

I recently finished my basement and created this laundry room/utility room. We had very limited space and needed to fit our 2nd fridge (husband is a chef and uses it for work, so it’s necessary) and washer and dryer in this space. Behind the curtain is our sump pump and water softener system, so we can’t move the fridge over.

We are looking to make this space a little more functional and aesthetic, with hopes to put a table on top of the washer and dryer for folding, a cabinet, and some open shelving. We’re also looking for some creative ideas on how to disguise the laundry hook up.

In hindsight I should have asked the contractors to lower the laundry hook up and outlet, but this is the first major renovation I’ve ever done and I didn’t think of it at the time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)

• EastCoast Designz
    11 months ago

The only functional layout for the space is to stack the washer and dry and put the fridge next to it. For storage and a more appealing astehtic add some cabinets above

• EastCoast Designz
    11 months ago

For folding laundry I would use this fold away wall table from Amazon to maximize the space

• PRO
    Yonder Way Designs
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

You could put a table/counter over the units and still have space for cabinetry. We cut a hole in the back/bottom of a cabinet to hide the hook-ups -- still easily accessible, but hidden. We actually stacked 3 stock laundry cabinets from Menards on top of one another to the ceiling (though in hindsight, I wish I had used IKEA's cabinets as I've done elsewhere, as they have a lot more space). An above-the-fridge cabinet would also add tons of storage! If you do a lot of line drying, a folding rack would work nicely on the blank wall where your artwork is resting. I also like using IKEA Trones (shoe cabinets) in shallow spaces for extra storage (in fact, we have some in this laundry room)! Great job on your renovation!

• PRO
    Yonder Way Designs
    11 months ago

Here's a [bad] photo of the inside (this is behind the center door) showing the cutouts for the hook-ups. (Looks like some of my laundry products were leaking -- eek!)

• Bri B
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I love these suggestions- thank you both so much!!!

• S H
    11 months ago

These might be a little more elaborate than you’re looking for, but these were some of the concepts we took inspiration from for our not yet completed laundry area (also pretty much just wide enough for a washer and dryer like yours). The example with the silver could be really fun with some great wallpaper.

Ignorant question, but if the washer/dryer were raised on a pedestal, would that put the hookups out of view for you?

• taliaferro
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I’ll share what I used as a folding surface on top of my washer dryer: Richlite (paperstone). It’s the same material used by Epicurean cutting boards. Ordered from cuttingboards.com for $250.

I also added silicone bumpers (the larger ones used to protect walls from doorknobs) to the underside to permit airflow between the top of machines and the board.

-— -— -— -— -—

Use closed storage cabinets above the fridge and the the washer dryer. And use collapsing laundry baskets.

• latifolia
    11 months ago

We recently did our laundry room with side by side units. The electrician said if we did a built-in counter, we would have to install convenience outlets (as you would in a kitchen). Without that it would not meet code and we could not pass inspection.

I decided to just put laundry baskets on the machines. Above I had heavy-duty KV brackets installed with adjustable shelves.