Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_obrien

Refrigerator purchase

Obrien Rentals
11 months ago

If you were to buy a house, would you like to get your own refrigerator?

we are remodeling a house to sell and wasn’t sure if people are peticular on what kind to have.

Next question, which type of refrigerator do you prefer. French door, side by side and if you prefer ice and water on the front of it or not.

Comments (6)

• kandrewspa
    11 months ago

If the kitchen is new and the frig will have a built-in look, then there's nothing wrong with providing a frig that fits the opening perfectly, in fact it's desirable. If it's freestanding then it's up to you. I also prefer what latifolia does. DH and I don't use ice and ice makers break more frequently than other refrigerator components. It will also be cheaper if you get one without. I'm thinking if you're going to provide it, no use buying the most expensive thing unless it's in keeping with the overall value of the home.

Obrien Rentals thanked kandrewspa
  • Helen
    11 months ago

Depends on your location and also your market.

Most homes in my area don't convey with the refrigerator unless it is a built in or a paneled refrigerator.

Many people who are home owners already own refrigerators and they are relatively easy to move since most people who are at a certain stage of life use professional movers.

Is this a flip intended for naive people - if so put in a refrigerator of the least expensive kind so long as it is stainless - because that category of buyers have no knowledge of anything relating to quality so long as you have put in trendy looking finishes.

Personally I would rather have the ability to purchase exactly the refrigerator I wanted - let the price reflect that or even make it an selling point with a "credit" towards purchase of a new refrigerator.

What is on trend at the moment for *most* people is a counter depth French door model.

Obrien Rentals thanked Helen
  • Kendrah
    11 months ago

It depends on the part of the country. Some locations where I lived (West Coast) it was really common to move a fridge from place to place with you. On the East Coast, I have never seen it done and it would be a strange expectation.

Look at pics on zillow of places in your neighborhood that have sold fast at a price you are hoping to get and see what kinds of fridges they had.

If you are selling a home in a moderate price range, get a basic stainless fridge, on sale, no water or ice maker on the door. Ice maker in the freezer is fine though. I personally hate side by side and would much rather a french door or just single door upper with fridge below.

It also depends on how much the house costs and how much you are investing. I put a subzero fridge in our last house. Yes, a $10K fridge. It was a huge selling point and I think had a lot of do with the perception of luxury - we had a big bidding war that jacked up the selling price by $60K plus no inspection. The house next door, very similar, sat on the market for 5 months, no offers. Sure it wasn't just the fridge, but man, a nice fridge is a status symbol at certain price ranges of home.

Obrien Rentals thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

We have all fridge, all freezer coluums with a built in kit . We are selling and all the appliances will stay ,the kitchen is probably the biggest selling point for our home next to the view.

Obrien Rentals thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • artemis78
    11 months ago

While I would personally prefer to choose my own (and therefore to pay less for the house), if your market is first-time buyers they will likely prefer not having to figure it out. Agreed that it depends very much on where you live as to whether it's expected--we're in Northern CA where appliances convey with the house unless specifically negotiated/named, almost all homes are staged and typically sold empty, and a missing or older appliance will jump out in the listing photos (possibly excepting laundry, which seems to be missing more often; if the machines are older people will sometimes remove them and list with just the hookups).

I also prefer counter-depth french door with no ice/water in the door. I do think it's personal, though--we didn't even consider models that had ice in the door, and I know others who only looked at those models.