Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Last Minute Help -- What to wear

Funkyart
11 months ago

I have a party to attend this afternoon/evening ... and I just tied on the dress I'd planned to wear and it is too big.. it is not so big I couldn't wear it but it isn't hanging correctly and so it isn't very flattering. I happen to also have the smaller size (which didn't fit at all a month ago) but it is soooo close to fitting perfectly but is ever so slightly snug around the tummy. I have decided not to wear either dress (I will return the two larger sizes and keep the one that is snug as I am actively losing weight). Really, I am happy to be losing weight and will be thrilled when the smallest of the 3 sizes fits-- but now I am in a pickle as to what to wear!

Reminder, this was the outfit I had planned. Really it isn't that snug so the jacket does hide it... but it is going to be hot today and I don't want to be stuck in a jacket.

It is a casual celebration of a wedding that happened last fall... so not the wedding. I have tried on a bunch of dresses in my closet this morning and most are either too casual or two dressy. I have narrowed it down to three. (photos in next post to keep scrolling easy)

Comments (25)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

1. This is niece#4 (my stylist! lol) pick.. I wore it early this week and she kept saying how much she loved it on me. Today she said I should stop fretting and just wear this.. my only hesitation is that it is black but I will wear it with colorful jewelry. Also this is a picnic-- not a wedding. Does that make black more acceptable?? The top is knit, the bottom is cotton.

2. I love this dress and it fits well but it looks soooo much better with a little sunkissed color which I don't have on my upper arms. Not sure why the dress above looks fine and this one doesn't.. probably just me.. but it does cut in more than the one above.

3. I like this dress but it is a little shorter than I normally wear .. also a touch dressier than I think of for a picnic. It fits fairly well.. a little big but it isn't obviously big.

4. Total wildcard. I LOVE this jumpsuit but I freely admit it is a little earthy crunchy hippie and better for poolside than a celebratory picnic .. it might work better with a raffia belt but I don' thave one... and I am not going shopping before the party. Niece also loves this one.. but she is 25. I think it is a little too casual.. even if i dress it up.

So WWYW to a casual celebratory picnic??

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    11 months ago

I don't think the black looks somber at all. I would wear that dress with some colorful accessories/jewelry and be quite pleased. I love the second dress as well, but if you feel less good in it because of the tan, why bother when the first one seems quite perfect.

Funkyart thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Irish2
    11 months ago

My pick is …#1 😉 coming from a woman who always gravitates to black. I like # 2 also 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Irish2
    11 months ago

@mtnrdredux_gw Now why can’t I express my self so eloquently?

Funkyart thanked Irish2
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Thank you.. I do love the first dress and it is sooooo comfortable. It's an easy choice if black isn't an issue.

I did find a way to make the jumpsuit work-- love it with a boho scarf belt and my jean jacket! A completely different look for it and it would be great for today ... but I am meeting up for cocktails with an old HS friend next week. She is a jewelry designer and going to customize a necklace for me. This is the perfect outfit -- not that it needed a perfect outfit but it looks great and I haven't seen her in 40 yr so I want to look good ;)

PS I took a jumpsuit photo for niece but won't share it here because 1. my hair looks insane and 2. It needs a tank under it .. and a bra lol. I'll take a photo next week though. It looks soooo me!

PPS... how did i get dressed for 59 years without you guys???? Thank you! 😘

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 months ago

Sounds like #1 is #1. I agree that with colorful accessories it'll be just fine.

Funkyart thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 months ago

Funky, wear the dress that will make you feel good and put on your best accessory....your smile. You'll look great.

We're going to a college grad picnic next weekend and my plan right now is a new Johnny Was knit top in charcoal. Hoping the weather will be nice but I'm not expecting hot. I have the same crepe pull on skinny pant in both white and the charcoal, will wear either of those, some jewelry, and lip gloss.

The other guests are going to notice that lovely happy face. By tomorrow no one is going to remember what you wore ;)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

By tomorrow no one is going to remember what you wore ;)

So true.. it is not like *I* am the focus of anything today!

Love Johnny Was styles ... so perfect for spring/summer. I am sure you will look lovely next weekend, Morz8!

• teeda
    11 months ago

I love that black dress, and it seems perfect for your event. I'm sure will accessorize it beautifully. Thinking I probably need a black dress like that myself! Have lots of fun.

Funkyart thanked teeda
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you, Teeda .. the dress is from Chicos. Some reviewers didn't like the gathering at the waist but it works for me.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 months ago

Funky, my point was with that lovely gracious smile, people will focus on you. Your face. Of course a few interesting intelligent remarks coming out from behind that smile won't hurt either but we know you already have that down.

Funkyart thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

You are too sweet 😘.. thank you!

• blfenton
    11 months ago

What shoes are you wearing?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I am wearing one of a variety of pairs of sneakers/slipons ... it will be outdoors on a grassy lawn at the event location. Due to my vision issues on that kind of ground, I will need the solid footing of a sneaker vs a sandal. Waa waa waa. I know that takes the look down but it's a necessity not just for my stability and peace of mind... I don't want family members to fuss or worry.

• teeda
    11 months ago

Thanks, going to check it out.

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 months ago

Agree if you are comfortable in it, you will wear it well. Go and enjoy, Funky!

Funkyart thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • nini804
    11 months ago

Everything looks cute! The black dress will be great with jewelry. I also really like that orange dress with the jean jacket…could you wear Spanx with it until you feel comfortable with the fit? Also…I use Natural Glow for a bit of color…it’s pretty low key, definitely not orange or anything. Last thing…since you love the black dress so much and feel so good in it…could you buy it in more colors? I totally do that when I fall im love with something! Have fun at the party!

Funkyart thanked nini804
  • pricklypearcactus
    11 months ago

My favorites are dress #1 and dress #3, but that may be a personal taste choice. I wear black all of the time, including to weddings, so my personal opinion is that black is just fine. All of the outfits look very cute. Like nini804 I've used Jergen's Natural Glow as well, though it usually takes a little time for me to put on color from it. Also, congratulations on your continued weight loss! I know it makes dressing for events a hassle, but you've worked so hard and it's a really wonderful accomplishment on your health journey.

Funkyart thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you all! ❤️ I did wear the first dress and glad I took my denim jacket because the temp took a dive as a storm front moved through-- thankfully there was no rain just grumbly thunder and crazy humidity. I was comfortable ... and as my sister dropped me off at home, Mom said I looked gorgeous lol. Not a compliment I often get from my mom-- not that she doesnt compliment me but not usually that enthusiastically. lol

Nini.. the dress comes in only two colors and I've returned the other. It is displayed on the site as a beautiful hot pink but it's more like a deep red raspberry. A deal breaker for me. I'd absolutely buy it in every color.. well, every color other than red and bright yellow.

I DID think about wearing spanx with the orange (sable) dress but I kind of want to earn it the old fashioned way lol. It really will be a big success when it fits perfectly. It isnt even that snug but enough for the pockets to pull ever so slightly. When it fits it is going to look great-- and it is such a "me" dress, I am not willing to settle for almost a good fit.

Thank you, Pricklypear-- you've been on this ride with me and I appreciate your encouragement and I was so glad to see how great you looked in your cocktail dress! I have a long way to go but these rewards along the way help keep me motivated.

Many thanks to all!

• Bunny
    10 months ago

WTH happened to the front of that jean jacket? Or is it some shape you photoshopped over the middle to hide something?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I did a quick and dirty cut and paste to represent the dress under the jean jacket.. to show the dress with a jacket vs a sweater (a different post).

Sorry, I didn't feel like taking the time to do it the "right" way.

• Bunny
    10 months ago

Ah, now I see. I viewed the top half, the bottom gives it away.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 months ago

Aww, i bet you were gorgeous! WTG Funky

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    10 months ago

😘