Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Daylilies That Have Beaten the Odds in 2023

shive
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

This thread is for sharing which daylilies are thriving despite the droughts, bad winters, and late freezes many of us faced in the past year. Most of my daylilies have short scapes and low bud counts, but a few are performing as well or better than they ever did. So share with us your Weather Warriors - those who laugh in the face weather challenges.

These are the ones I would say fall in that category. These each have normal height scapes and bud counts in at least the teens:

Evergreens: Star Lord, Sensational Heart. White Ambrosia. Deeds Not Words and Watermelon Summer

Semi-evergreens: Clown Parade

Dormants: Blue Swallowtail, I Lava You

I may have more among the MLs and Lates, but these are ones that stand out right now.

Debra.

Comments (16)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I noticed while looking at my list that all of mine except two got watered during some months of our drought. Only Clown Parade, I Lava You did not get supplemental water.

For me, buds in the teens are good. For your lists, bud counts might lower, especially if you are in the north.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 months ago

As I was watering this morning, I noticed some more that have met their height requirements and have at least 13 buds:

They are all domants: Browns Ferry Queen of Hearts, Clarification and Serrated Sentinel.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 months ago

Mean Green, United We Stand Blackberry Dragon, Marseilles Watercolor, Fighting Fire, Coral Majority,, Clown Parade m Jellyroll Morton, and, of course, Gypsy Cats so far. The lates and very lates are beginning to bloom but only a few of them.

kay

• shive
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Kay - Thanks for adding to list of weather warriors. I'm thrilled Gypsy Cats is on your list. It's tall here, but I can't tell about bud count yet.

Debra

• lilykate7a
    10 months ago

For me, anything that had buds on it was a warrior this season!!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Kate - I understand what you're saying. I would think those daylilies you've shown in the huge clumps would qualify.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    10 months ago

This is funny to me…..not a single bloom yet. Maybe I can add sometime the next two months!

Sherry

• Nancy 6b
    10 months ago

I finally managed to get here and see what is going on. I will have to go thru the garden and make notes. I mentioned Clown Parade, but does it count when it was just as good last year too? Last year it had a couple scapes with bud counts over 30, this year it has a few more but I have forgotten how many. That may be almost double what it was in previous years. Should be a lot easier to say what is better so far than poorer performers.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    10 months ago

It's a little too early for me to comment on this subject. Bob and I were talking that we think the daylilies were more badly damaged by the late frost we had than we originally thought. They sure seem slow sending up scapes. Some of the scapes are shorter than normal and there looks to be fewer buds on many of them. Unstoppable bloomed today down in the foliage. It's a huge clump but looks like it has suffered.

So far, Small World TNT is having its best year. By the Golden Rule was planted just last summer and is blooming its head off. It has only two scapes, but they are well branched with lots of flowers. I'll comment later when more have bloomed.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Nancy - On this thread, we're just looking for daylilies performing very well this year. It doesn't matter how they performed last year.

Nan - I understand it's too early for you, Sherry, Mantis and Julia to respond, but I look forward to seeing your lists.

My feeling is climate change is going to impact our daylily growing going forward, and it makes good sense to add the ones that perform well despite late freezes, deep freezes and drought.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 months ago

I forgot to add Fighting Fire: adter blooming multiples daily for five 1/2 weeks. it has put up four rebloom scapes.

kay

• shive
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Kay - I'm glad you're getting rebloom scapes on Fighting Fire. I have two clumps of it. One has sent up no scapes at all, and the other has two extremely short scapes with next to no buds on a 7-fan clump. That one usually reblooms, so I'm hoping for better results later.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 months ago

I hope so too. Water Drops and My Heart Belongs to Daddy had only one and two scapes. Water drops has sent up three more and MY heart Belongs to Daddy two more. Intelligent Design was doen in the foliage and has sent up three or four more scapes. Citrix has bloomed its head off and sent tp four sets of scapes so far.

ksay

• Brad KY 6b
    10 months ago

I can't say much since my season is barely started, but looking at the scapes, looks like a very mixed bag. Except for the drought currently, which is mild so far, we have very little in the way of normal any year. We are right on the border weather-wise between the north and the south, so we always flip-flop back and forth. This winter was relatively mild with a few very cold days and those few cold spring days, but nothing really out of the ordinary.

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I have a couple more to add. Fancy Lace is taller than registered and had bud counts in the mid teens. Browns Ferry Queen of Hearts is taller than it's ever been, reaching the registered height of 26 inches this year. Many of scapes have lateral branching and bud counts in the mid- to high teens.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I forgot to add this one: Serrated Sentinel. It's very tall, has fantastic branching and bud counts in the high teens, possibly 20s when all the buds are visible.

Serrated Sentinel

Debra