Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_77209130

can I see the most etched, bleached, #*@!d up black granite you got

User
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Should I believe the people who say that black granite is basically impermeable, or the people complaining about messing up their counters within the first week of installing it? i heard sealing is verboten—has anyone ever had other disasterous issues NOT caused by oversealing?

…What does the worst part of your worst black countertop look like and how did it meet that terrible fate?

Comments (36)

• User
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Are any of these significantly more or less resistant to damage than the others. I’d be curious to hear people’s favorite/least favorite?

List of black granite:

-Black Galaxy granite
    -Cosmic Black granite
    -Altair granite
    -Black Antique granite
    -Ubatuba granite
    -African Galaxy granite
    -Orion granite
    -Negresco granite
    -Absolute Black granite
    -Black Pearl granite
    -Black Fusion granite
    -Matrix granite
    -Angola Silver granite
    -Black Impala granite
    -Black Mist granite
    -San Gabriel granite
    -Marinace granite
    -Viking Black granite
    -Atlantic Black granite
    -Via Lactea granite
    -Titanium Black granite
    -Sedna granite
    -Black Sun granite
    -Jet Mist granite
    -Cheyenne granite
    -Azteca granite
    -Black Thulu granite
    -Kosmus granite
    -Porto Rosa granite
    -Magma Black granite

• eld6161
    10 months ago

We used Black Absolute in three kitchens. No issues.

• antmaril
    10 months ago

I have Black Pearl in my condo kitchen. it appears to be bullet proof. No problems at all.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

I have used black granites in literally dozens of my clinets kitchens and bathrooms. I love galaxy black if you like copper for an accent but absolute black is my usual go to. No you do not need to seal just get polished and enjoy.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    10 months ago

Black GRANITE is very dense, and has a very low perm rate. It doesn't have ay pores to allow liquid in. Sealing it causes problems because of that.

But more stones than granite are sold as "granite". Even marble sometimes is sold as "granite". So, you have to test what you are looking at. Names are irrelevant. Distributors make up names. If you find something you like, test for absorbancy with a bottle of water. Test for inclusion of carbonates by a lemon wedge at the edge of the slab. Test for hardness with a glass bottle and the edge of the slab. If it doesn't darken with the water, or change texture with the lemon (etch) and cuts the glass, then feel confident in taking it from like to love.

• eandhl2
    10 months ago

I had UT in my previous home. The only issue I had is they sprayed a sealer on it & i would get cloudy places. i scrubed the sealer off and never had a problem. i walked on the counters, hot pans on it it looked as good as new when we sold. i used about 20% rubbing alcohol and 80 % water to clean it.

• M Miller
    10 months ago

Black granite does not etch or stain. It does not etch because it does not contain the mix of minerals that have the chemical reaction that results in etching - unlike e.g. marble which is made of calcium carbonate. Black granites do not stain because they are too dense, i.e. have low porosity.

There are two things that could give rise to your incorrect belief that black granite etches or stains. (1) It has been sealed when it should not have been because it is too dense to absorb sealant. Consequently the sealant sits on top creating a hazy look and streaks which people mistake for etching. (2) It is not actually black granite. Unfortunately there are some granites being sold that are more of a light gray, and been dyed to black in order to charge the higher prices that black granite would get. You can take a bit of acetone to the granite, and if some black color comes off, it has been dyed.

Don't spend too much time thinking about your long list of granite names. The names can vary from stoneyard to stoneyard. You are better off going to a reputable stoneyard and asking to see their black granites, rather than asking about different granite names.

User thanked M Miller
  • User
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you everyone! If this stuff is really this good i wonder why everyone doesnt have it? is it just because its going out of style, or because of the price?

So i heard a rumor that absolute black isnt ”true granite” and is dyed black, so consequently isnt impermable, and can fade. is this true of all, none, or only some of the granite being sold as ”absolute black”?

• User
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I love the look and feel of soapstone but dont trust myself with it. is it as hard to take care of as people say?

• darbuka
    10 months ago

There are many, many threads on this site, dismissing the myths about soapstone. Get a hard variety, like Stormy Black, Anastacia, or Belvedere, (there are others), and care is easy, Just dish soap and water to clean. And, the hard varieties do not scratch or chip easily. Plus, unlike other counter materials, soapstone is easily reparable by the homeowner…a little bit of mineral oil will make scratches disappear.

You can oil or wax the counters to darken them, or not. Soapstone is the densest counter material. As such, it cannot stain, or etch. Never needs sealing. Any patina (darkening of the stone in places of heavy use), is on the surface of the stone, and can easily be removed. Many people never oil…or, like us, eventually stop…and just let the soapstone do its thing.

The key, is to test slabs for hardness. And, if possible, purchase from actual soapstone dealers, like M. Teixeira, Garden Soapstone, or Vermont Soapstone…not from generic stone yards that mostly sell granite, marble, quartzite or the manmade stuff we call ”quartz.” Search for soapstone dealers in your area. Teixeira has several locations across the country.

• M Miller
    10 months ago

“If this stuff is really this good i wonder why everyone doesnt have it?”

You can say that about anything. People have different tastes.

“is it as hard to take care of as people say?”

Soapstone is not hard to take care of. Many people don’t even oil it and prefer it natural. If you are interested in soapstone I advise you find a stoneyard very familiar with soapstone. There are a number of stoneyards that might carry a few soapstone slabs, but their ignorance about soapstone is appalling. Find one with deep knowledge about it. You want to see a few different soapstone varieties to see what appeals to you - some are softer, some harder, some more black, some lighter or with a green tone (I love those), some with more veins, some with less.

• darbuka
    10 months ago

Btw, soapstone absorbs heat slowly, and evenly. It’s the only natural stone that is non reactive to heat…therefor, you can take a hot pot or pan, and place it directly on the counter without fear of cracking (which can happen with granite, quartzite and marble), or melting it…which will happen with manmade counters (quartz), which are 33 1/3% plastic resins (by volume). Even a hot lid taken from a hot casserole, or pot can melt the resins in quartz.

• artemis78
    10 months ago

Granite is pretty ubiquitous these days, so there are all types of vendors of it, some trustworthy and others not so much. Who you buy from and what they're actually selling you (vs. what they claim it is) makes a huge difference.

I will say that my in-laws have polished absolute black that was put in 25 years and looks like new. They do take good care of it and clean it well each evening. No fading, stains, or chips and is great with heat. I don't believe they have ever sealed it.

• sushipup2
    10 months ago

If you don't wany a shiny surface, get the granite honed/leathered/antiqued. And if you worry about faked dyed black granite, follow this tip:

Before purchasing a granite slab, perform the following test to find out if it has been doctored:

Take a clean white rag and apply some acetone to the surface of the granite. If any residue or black color is observed on the top, do not accept it, it has been dyed. If you get no dye from the acetone then take some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) and apply it to a different part of the slab.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    10 months ago

There are imposrted slabs sold as absolute black that are dyed. I don't know how to tell other than going to a repuatable stone yard. I have had polished absolute black in a previous hoome, in my current home I have leathered absolute black and leathered nightfall. Four years in it looks brand new. We learned years ago to avoid granite cleaners, they always leave a haze. We just use cheap vodka in a spray bottle with a microfiber cloth. Antibacterial and no haze.

• User
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Interesting! Great info and advice. I’m getting from this thread that it’s hard to find a reputable stone dealer. Given I’m not an expert, what the best way to vet them? We have a lot of time before we would be putting the countertops in, so no rush, but in the meantime Im trying to learn all I can.

• User
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Amazing. Thank you!

• Buehl
    10 months ago

I have polished Absolute Black and 15 years later it looks as good as the day it was installed. No etching, no haze, etc.

There is one scratch, but it was caused by something that will scratch just about anything -- my diamond engagement ring. I didn't know it was under something and when I dragged it across (with some force), it scratched the counter. Fortunately, it's a small scratch and no one has ever noticed it. In fact, I have to search with a very bright light and looking very closely to find it!

We just use dish detergent (light on the amount) most days and, as long as you dry them immediately with circular strokes, there are no streaks or haze. To get an even better shine for parties, I use Method -- it doesn't leave a haze and our counters shine!

I like Black Galaxy, but the copper specks (inclusions, I think they're called) did not go with my Kitchen.

As others have said, beware of dyed stones. When disreputable quarries run low on AB, they sometimes dye gray stones black. It's usually stone from China, but don't rule any out without testing.

From the "Stone Information and Advice (& Checklists)" thread:

Tests (especially for Absolute Black) (using a sample of YOUR slab):

• To verify you have true AB and not dyed: Clean with denatured alcohol and rub marble polishing powder on the face. (Get denatured alcohol at Home Depot in the paint department)
    • Lemon Juice or better yet some Muratic [sic] Acid: will quickly show if the stone has a lot of calcium content and will end up getting etched. This is usually Chinese stone, not Indian.
    • Acetone: The Dying usually is done on the same Chinese stone. like the others said, acetone on a rag will reveal any dye that has been applied
  • Buehl
    10 months ago

Regarding sealing:

• You should not seal granite with an absorption rate under 0.25%
  • rebunky
    10 months ago

…What does the worst part of your worst black countertop look like and how did it meet that terrible fate?

Ok you asked for it! Prepare yourself for a long rant….😬

My granite is on your list. San Gabriel, although my stone yard labeled it Negro San Gabriel.

Mine is in a leathered finish. It is only on the perimeter counters. My island is a polished granite. It looks black in the photo after this one. It actually has greens and rust colors.

The only area that is a problem is surrounding my sink. White hazy ugly stains! You will see in the pictures the same white stains are on my Blanco silgranit sink in the Cinder color. So it affected two different surfaces in the same manner, so I don’t think the haze is from a sealer that should not have been applied,

My guess is the white stains are caused by our city‘s hard water, since the problem is only around the sink. It took about a year to get real ugly.

Here is my kitchen when it was brand new but not quite finished to give you the overall look of the perimeter granite. Overall it reads matte black.

Here is a close up of the granite (that was the backsplash tile I ended up picking) and it shows part of it in direct sun. So you can see it is actually more of a dark gray with pretty green inclusions and then the occasional beautiful blue sparkle.

Here is a different angle where it looks more black, but you can see a couple of the blue mica flecks if you blow it up. I love them because they look like tiny sapphires!

Okay, now on to the UGLY zone around the sink.

This picture below is maybe after a year installed, at the worst point, when I was so fed up and searching for a remedy.

The white haze just kept building up even though I was scrubbing daily and only using what the sink manufacturer recommended. I researched on Gardenweb and on the web for anyone with this problem with black granite and/or the blanco silgranit sink in the dark color.

This picture was taken right after I had scrubbed with a vinegar/baking soda mixture until my arms hurt. That did nothing, so I moved on to barkeepers friend and then to soft scrub with bleach. Trust me, it is clean as it gets, yet still looks totally disgusting. 😤

Here is after I oiled it with mineral oil (a remedy I learned on this forum) which basically lasts until I start using the water again. The white stains come back in a couple days.

Close up - before and after.

I just bought some acetone and I am going to try and see what that does and go from there.

Maybe it will show black on the towel to prove mine was dyed. Or maybe it will show if it got sealed when it should not have been sealed.

It makes me so mad because other then the sink area, I still love the look of the stone.

Although I do admit, my dream was soapstone. I did not get it because nowhere in my area carried it at the time. This was the closest I could find to a look-a-like.

Okay, rant over. 😮‍💨

• antmaril
    10 months ago

Rebunky - I have the same problem on the left side of the sink with my polished Black Pearl countertops. I thought I was the only one. Other than that one area, the countertops seem bullet proof after nine years.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    10 months ago

I think you posted a similar dilemma a few days ago. You are getting very good advice here from homeowners who actually have black granite in their kitchens. To address your question as to why "everyone" doesn't have it, well why doesn't everyone live in a center hall colonial, or drive a white car? Freedom of choice and personal tastes. I have honed black Virginia Mist granite on my beverage bar, but honed white Danby marble in the rest of the kitchen. It's a large kitchen and I wanted to mix it up a bit.

My advice to you is research as much as you want (DeWayne gave you a lot of links), decide what works for you, and go to a reputable stone yard and select the actual slabs you like. Make sure they mark them with your name and give them the name of your fabricator so you know you're getting what you want/paid for. Once they are installed, keep them clean and don't stress about every little mark. As I said in your other post, a kitchen is a work place, and nothing is "bullet-proof." Everything will change and age with time. Just make sure you use your kitchen for making great food and fond memories with friends and family.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    10 months ago

@HALLETT & Co. Didn't you know that vodka is not to be wasted and is intended for internal use only? :-)

• colleenoz
    10 months ago

@rebunky, if you think your white stains are caused by hard water, why haven’t you tried a product like CLR which is designed to remove lime buildup?

And as a laboratory technician I would urge you to check the SDS (safety data sheet) for Methyl Ethyl Ketone before purchasing or attempting to use it.

• rebunky
    10 months ago

@colleenoz

I didn’t use the CRL because the instructions on the bottle said not to use on natural stone.

I was not going to use MET, but thanks for the heads up.

I have some regular acetone, so I was going to use it to strip off any possible sealer they may have put on it before I bought it. The stone yard did not say it was sealed so I assumed it wasn’t, but you never know.

The only thing that semi worked for me (out of the gazzion things I have tried) is pouring vinegar on top of layers of papertowels put over all the stained areas. I let that sit a few hours. Then scrubby dub dub. Then I will do a thick poultice paste of baking soda and water and let that sit on the stains overnight. Then I rinse and scrub. Then I start carefully scraping tiny sections and picking at the white stuff with a razor blade. After a couple hours, I did manage to get a thin layer or two off in a small area before I gave up in pain. I have learned to live with it and whenever it really bothers me, I just oil it down and it looks brand new for a couple days.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    10 months ago

@GN Builders L.L.C I promise it is rock gut vodka, not Titos!

• colleenoz
    10 months ago

Try repeated applications of vinegar rather than baking soda. Lime is basic so acidic vinegar will dissolve it. Baking soda is also basic, so it will have no effect.

• rebunky
    10 months ago

@colleenoz

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice and I will try just the vinegar this time. Good to know the baking soda is not going to cut it so I won’t waste anymore time with that. I will do the paper towel/vinegar soak and keep repeating the process until it starts to dissolve it. I will post back here if it’s a success! 🥰

• colleenoz
    10 months ago

Good luck!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    10 months ago

Houzz photo

Farmhouse Kitchen in Harleysville, PA · More Info

• Tallulah B
    10 months ago

If it’s only the counters around the sink getting off colored, that area could be done in a lighter stone. Black countertops darken a kitchen, sucking in light even when they’re shiny, so lighter shades are more common. When I worked at a granite countertop fabricator shop many years ago black and baltic brown counters were the most common colors we removed. Baltic brown looks like it has poo all over it, and lots of people just like light kitchens.

• Buehl
    10 months ago

"Black countertops darken a kitchen, sucking in light even when they’re shiny"

If you have a good lighting plan with a variety of lighting, it won't be an issue. We have recessed lights throughout the Kitchen, undercabinet lights for task lighting, and pendants over the peninsula and sink. Our Kitchen is never dark unless we turn off all the lights at night.

We have AB counters as well as stained cherry cabinets (not light) and no issues with brightness. In fact, we rarely use our lights on full b/c it's too bright!

• User
    9 months ago

The belief that black granite is impermeable is not entirely accurate. While granite is generally a durable and resistant material, it can still be susceptible to staining and damage if not properly cared for. The effectiveness of sealing can vary depending on the specific type and quality of the granite, as well as the sealer used.

It's important to consider a few factors when evaluating conflicting opinions:

1. Variability in Granite Quality: The quality of granite can vary, and some varieties may be more porous or prone to staining than others. It's possible that those who had negative experiences with black granite countertops may have had a lower quality or improperly sealed granite.
    2. Maintenance and Care: Proper maintenance is crucial for any countertop, including black granite. Regular cleaning, avoiding harsh chemicals, and promptly wiping up spills can help prevent staining and damage.
    3. Individual Use and Habits: The way countertops are used and maintained can differ among individuals. Some people may have different cooking and cleaning habits that could impact the longevity and appearance of their countertops.

Regarding your question about disastrous issues unrelated to oversealing, while it is relatively uncommon, there have been cases of chipping, cracking, or staining of black granite countertops due to heavy impact, exposure to extreme heat, or the use of abrasive cleaners. However, such instances are not the norm and typically require significant force or misuse.

• Elli Alva
    2 days ago

Thanks four your opinions, it really helps me a lot .

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths