Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen_rec

Countertop that can withstand up to 200 degree F?

Jen Records
8 months ago

Hello - I'm in the process of preparing for a kitchen remodel in a 1956 mid century ranch style home and I found the range I'd like - https://www.cafeappliances.com/appliance/Cafe-30-Smart-Slide-In-Front-Control-Induction-and-Convection-Double-Oven-Range-CHS950P2MS1. I'd like the kitchen to look fresh and updated but like it belongs in a mid century home. I'm not aiming for anything flashy. Just easy to maintain and ascetically pleasing materials.

Any suggestion on a countertop material, if it could double as the backsplash that would be a bonus? I'd like to avoid tile and grout lines behind the range if possible.

I can not decide on a countertop material that meets the safety and ascetics I'm looking for. I cook A LOT and I expect to use both ovens and the stove top at the same time, so I think it will get pretty hot.

I don't want quartz I think it's overrated, and I don't want granite because it's to busy for my sapele mahogany cabinet fronts. The other issue I'm running into is the slide in range installation instructions say make sure the wall, counter, flooring and cabinets can withstand up to 200 degrees (image below). So I want to make sure I'm picking the right countertop material to be safe and last.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (24)

• M Miller
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Soapstone for the counter. But for the backsplash, I don't like soapstone as a backsplash because it would be too dark. I recommend that for just behind the range you have a stainless steel panel, and those are inexpensive too, you can buy them to order online or at Home Depot. Then for the rest of the kitchen backsplash, perhaps a classic cream subway tile, or also the 4x4 square tiles are making a strong comeback, and the 4x4 tiles would go great in your mid-century home.

Jen Records thanked M Miller
  • PRO
    DeWayne
    8 months ago

Stainless. With an integrated sink. Or copper. Or Pyrolave, or lavastone, or ipe, or anything that doesn't involve plastic resins.

Jen Records thanked DeWayne
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 months ago

This is why commercial kitchens have SS countertops and backsplashes.

The SS can be plain or embossed. It's going to be custom no matter what.

Any large-scale porcelain tile will work for the backsplash but it will never match the countertops. This product below is 24" x 28" so the seams will be minimal.

Jen Records thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • sprtphntc7a
    8 months ago

soapstone - pricey but gorgeous, look for the hardest version

stainless steel - will give a commercial kitchen feel

granite - try to find Virginia Mist or something similar, it mimicks soapstone. not all granite is busy.

Virginia Mist thread

Jen Records thanked sprtphntc7a
  • Fori
    8 months ago

I have stainless steel because I can't damage it. (I DO still put trivets under hot glass bakeware because I am wary of thermal shock to the pans. I probably don't have to.)

I have a tile backsplash as I didn't want a super industrial look--my 1950s home originally had a tile kitchen so that's my compromise.

You don't need trivets with tile of course, but any dough rolled out on it will look funny. :)

Jen Records thanked Fori
  • Jen Records
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thank you everyone. For anyone that has answered on the thread do you have an induction slide in range? Have you had any issues with the countertop you have next to the range or backsplash behind it?

I'd love solid surface countertops, but the heat rating to be next to the range isn't high enough. Also I see people put quartz behind ranges all the time, but it doesn't seem like the heat rating is high enough there either. Also I've read the 300+ comments on house about it.

Thanks again everyone

• gardengrl66 z5
    8 months ago

I have a gas range in one kitchen and an induction cooktop in the other. We have a regular old subway tile backsplash in one and soapstone in the other. No problems with either. Attaching pics, the soapstone backsplash is trying to decide it it wants to be oiled or plain so excuse the blotches :)

Jen Records thanked gardengrl66 z5
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 months ago

The induction cooktop doesn't get hot. The pots and pans get got.

Jen Records thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    8 months ago

Soapstone is an excellent choice. You could do a tile backsplash if it's too dark for you.

Or, go w/actual 'Lava' in the form of Basalt. many diff finishes and ranges of colors

• Fori
    8 months ago

The oven vent in a range (gas, coil, or induction) is what usually causes backsplash discoloration.

The cooktop portion of a range usually won't have any effect (except for some of the higher BTU gas models that are often installed incorrectly).

Follow installation instructions, use a rear riser when needed, don't pay attention to the glamor shots in range advertising that often show "island trim" in a non-island setting, and be aware what materials can crack or discolor with oven use when they are installed too close to the rear vent (if there is one). Phew.

• mcarroll16
    8 months ago

Do you want something you can set a hot pan on? Then get soapstone or stainless. But if you're just worried about ambient temperature near the countertop, get anything you like, including solid surface. It's going to stand up just fine to normal ovens and an induction cooktop. After all, it came into use decades ago, when less-insulated ovens poured way more heat directly into the room. And as mentioned above, induction cooktops don't really get hot. As long as you are using trivets under your hot pans, any modern countertop material should be fine.

• BPMBA
    8 months ago

Dekton

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 months ago

Soapstone, or a PLAIN black honed or leathered granite with any tile splash. The least pricey option as well.

You're not going to burn up either of them. Soapstone is antimicrobial, can not be burned - the reason it was in your biology lab with those Bunsen burners.

Ovens are encased in built in cabinetry every day! Those prone to catching fire? Not unless you leave the pizza box in there : )

• Jen Records
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@mcarroll16 @fori @BeverlyFLADeziner thank you this is what i was after. im not worried about setting hot pans on the counter. I’m trying to make sure the surfaces near the range will be safe.

someone mentioned its the oven heat that causes discoloration of counters… do you think it wouls be risky to use solid surface as a backsplash behind the range or even formica laminate?

• PRO
    DeWayne
    8 months ago

What are the specs for your range choice? Those are what will give horizontal clearance to combustibles distance.

• darbuka
    8 months ago

“do you think it would be risky to use solid surface as a backsplash behind the range or even formica laminate?”

Both are made of plastic, so yes, it would be risky. The range will vent out the rear top of the range/oven, throwing heat at the plastic containing backsplash. Now, if you had a rangetop or cooktop, with separate wall ovens, that scenario would lessen the risk.

FWIW, I’ve yet to hear of laminate being used as backsplash behind a cooking surface.

• Jen Records
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@DeWayne i think thats what i posted in y original post. It says surrounding counter, floor, etc must be able to with stand up to 200 degrees.

• Jen Records
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@darbuka i currently have laminate behind my stove top, but as you said its a separate stove and oven so thats different.

• Jennifer Hogan
    8 months ago

What you can use depends on the stove top / oven / combined range you are using.

I have an older electric range and a Formica backsplash that has been there since 1970. I had painted drywall in my last home with an older gas range. Because the ranges were both stand alone ranges they were insulated and the venting for the ovens on both units comes out under the control panel toward the burners on the stove. The wall doesn't get hot enough to catch on fire or melt the Formica.

My brother bought a high powered commercial gas range that was not designed to be placed in front of a wall. He had to have a heat shield installed behind the range to protect the wood framing behind the backsplash and wall.

• coray
    8 months ago

How about a quartzite? We have Taj Mahal (in case you don’t want darker gray counters with your warm wood cabs; there are still lighter TM slabs to be found, which would look great with your cabs) and have no issue with heat. We were told we could put a pot right onto the stone.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

" We were told we could put a pot right onto the stone."

According to the Natural Stone Institute, the trade association of the industry, you were misinformed.

• tdemonti
    8 months ago

200*F isnt terribly hot and I think most countertops can wthstand that but ask how the material disperses heat.

When we remodeled, we were told that the cabinet finish was more at risk from the heat than the countertop. We had a thin layer of insulation placed between the range and cabinets. We opted for Corian countertops I‘ve always used hot pads, too.

Jen Records thanked tdemonti
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 months ago

I think you have misread somethings I have never seen install instructions naimg the floor and the heat it can withstand. Kitchens have had wood, laminate , vinyl all of those choices and never an issue. I think you have been given great advice so listen to it. I agree soapstone is a perfect choice