Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_80806104631

living room decor/layout

A N
9 months ago

Hey everyone! Im trying to decorate/ design my living room and was looking for any recommendations or suggestions. I think I’m going to pick a neutral color and either natural wood or black.

I would like to add dimension to my fireplace so was thinking of adding a stick and peel wallpaper or 3d wall panels but not sure how to connect everything.

At the moment I cannot update the sofas but I’m going to buy accent chairs. I’m not sure what color curtain to go with.

Any help or suggestions are welcomed :)

Comments (9)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 months ago

Your room cannot really contain the two sofas. You have no room for any accent chairs. But everyone has to work within a budget so let's see if we can make the best of this situation.

I don't have the actual dimensions of your room and the furnishing, but going from the photos I believe the layout below might work. Place the two-seater in front of the window and the three-seater as you walk into the room. (Hope there is enough room before you hit the column.) It's the only way you can possibly hope to be able to view a TV which I assume will be placed over the fireplace.

After moving the furniture post new pics of the space so we can assist you with area rugs. This is a good place for pattern and color. You'll be surprised at how much better the room can appear.

Work on the layout first, then the rug, and last paint and or wallpaper. Frankly with the right art and accessories, the room might not need either.

This is just to illustrate how different rugs will change the room.

• Yayagal
    9 months ago

The first rug is the best choice.

• kandrewspa
    9 months ago

I don't think you need to do anything with the fireplace wall. The stone is dimensional enough. Proceed as Beverly suggests and then update this post showing where you're at if you get stuck. I would repurpose one of those sofas (maybe in a basement mancave?) and get those accent chairs. Usually one piece of leather furniture is enough in a room.

• A N
    Original Author
    9 months ago

That’s how I had it before but it looked a bit off again maybe I didn’t provide the whole picture. The room is a bit odd shaped. I have a shoe cabinet next to the door, the fire place is off centered, I’m not sure what to do with the other side (right side) of the room, the pillar is right in the middle, ideally I’d like to add a console cabinet on the right wall and add a projector screen top of the right wall but i don’t know where to put the projector

Or what type of art to go for?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

As I mentioned. The sofas are just too large for the room. The room is sized for apartment-size furnishings.

Find a new location for the shoe cabinet & the water bottles. Is there a garage? Maybe that's where the shoes & the water should be placed.

• A N
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Yes the sofas will be replaced eventually, the water bottles basket and mirror will be removed. I think I want to add two accent cabinets on each side of the fireplace and painting or pictures on top of the cabinet. Not sure if this will make it too congested?

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago

Is one of the sofas a double seat power-recliner that needs the space in front to be clear so the seats can be reclined?

I think if you do double cabinets on each side of the fireplace it will look congested. Are you handy enough to do floating shelves? You won't be able to put very heavy things on them, but you could put photos, paperback books, and some other decorative things that are now on your mantel.

What is the gray object on the mantel? Btw, I think I would paint your mantel and fireplace surround a dark charcoal gray.

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago

I know this doens't look like your fireplace or room, but I'm hoping to show you how some floating shelves could work, how you could use art and even use some peel-stick wallpaper in an usual way to give some drama to the room that makes your sofas look less important!

Modern Farmhouse in Dallas, Texas · More Info

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago

Here is another room with bare space under the floating shelves. I wouldn't recommend a clock, and of course your fireplace isn't marble columns but very different, but you can see it is very casual, and has some storage on one side but not the other

East Village Apartment · More Info