Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Did you know there's a drop-down for emoticons?

rob333 (zone 7b)
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

I'll find it amazing when people send me emoticons that are a different skin color than what they look like in real life. I mean, I see what you look like in person, but your emoticon is a different color.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸ»
For instance.

It could be set the way you want, and that's great too. But often, I think people don't actually know that it can be changed. What I like are the emoticons that have different hair color and styles.
πŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈπŸ€·πŸ½β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·πŸ»

Just an FYI..
❀️

Comments (23)

• bpath
    7 months ago

🧟 I didn’t know that. But that one at the beginning of my comment doesn’t have a drop down.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Is that a ghoul for Halloween? Whoa. Kinda cool❣️

• matthias_lang
    7 months ago

There's a drop-down where?

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 months ago

Using emoticons in texts and messages is about as cool and with-it as having an AOL email address.

• User
    7 months ago

Emoticon :-)

EmojiπŸ™‚

Cool is knowing the difference. 🀠

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸ»

• User
    7 months ago

https://writingexplained.org/emoji-vs-emoticon-difference

Emoji were created by a Japanese company in the 1990s. The word emoji is a contraction of the Japanese words e and moji, which can be roughly translated to mean pictograph.

An emoticon is a set of characters that mimic a facial expression. The word emoticon itself is a portmanteau of the words emotion and icon.

πŸ’•πŸ€“

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 months ago

Same difference, Mme AOL, not cool or necess to know details .

• User
    7 months ago

It’s always cool to learn something new.😎 You’re welcome.πŸ˜‡

Nastiness is never cool.β˜ΉοΈπŸ‘Ž

• Rusty
    7 months ago

So where is this drop down y'all are talking about?

Rusty

• User
    7 months ago

Rusty, in your emoji, (Expressive Input Key) if you hold down the emoji that you have chosen, it will show you a series of emoji with different skin colour. Most of the emoji that depict a person will give you a choice of skin colour.

• dadoes
    7 months ago

Presumably on iPhones, and perhaps others. Press/hold an emoji that offers such choices, the choices appear. There are others on the keyboard such as number 0 has a choice for a degree symbol and letters have choices for diacritics.

• User
    7 months ago

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/06/difference-between-emoji-and-emoticons-explained

More cool info. πŸ€“ ^^^^

”With that much variation, is it surprising that people get a little (β•―Β°β–‘Β°οΌ‰β•―οΈ΅ ┻━┻ if you confuse :-) with πŸ˜ƒ?”

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    7 months ago

In a related issue, did you know you can hold down the 0 (zero) key and get an option for the Β° (degree) sign?

Way cool. I’m easily impressed. πŸ˜‰

• graywings123
    7 months ago

I get this

And I find emojis helpful in text messages especially to avoid misunderstandings.

• Lars
    7 months ago

I do not get an option for Β° when I hold the zero key down - I hold down the "alt" key and type 248.

Roxsol and I use emojis to give each other clues for Phrazel puzzles. I think her use of emojis is pretty cool, despite what Elmer says.

The puzzles can still be challenging, even with emoji clues.

• dadoes
    7 months ago

Lars, holding zero for a degree symbol is on an iPhone (or iPad), not a computer keyboard. Maybe it also works on other phones and tablets.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I apologize if I used the wrong term. I was speaking of smart phone usage. You'll see a little triangle on the emojis that have the options.

πŸ€ͺ

• User
    7 months ago

Rob, it’s all cool. πŸ™‚

• bpath
    7 months ago

I was happy to learn, by accident, that holding down keys on my virtual keyboards can show me other characters, including ”degree”, diacritics, and more. I texted something to my brother and he was so delighted to know that he could now spell his friends’ names with the appropriate accents (he taught internationally and has friends globally. If he wanted to be truly accurate he had to change the keyboard mid-sentence, which is a real bother). It bugs me that some are different or in different places on the Android phone and the iPad, even the shift keys show difrerent characters.

• petalique
    7 months ago

EeΓ© ΓͺΓ¨ ΓΌuΓ§c Γ§ soupcon can now be soupΓ§on

Thanks! I had no idea. Cheese Gruyère.

• User
    7 months ago

KΓΌhl

Geil!

• yeonassky
    7 months ago

Thank you so much. My friend uses it to represent her colour of skin etc and I've always been so impressed. I didn't know how she did it though and now I know.

Bpath perhaps with your brother's problem he can also add those names to the dictionary. Won't that give him a drop down option? and then he would pick his friend's name with the appropriate symbol having been saved in his personal dictionary. I don't always see the dictionary option but maybe someone knows how to access that all the time. Just a thought.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI β™±
    7 months ago

Lets see…27Β°F…thanks Littlebug & bpath. Learned something new.

tj