jerijen
6 months ago

Comments (16)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 months ago

Wow, Jeri!

• ingrid_vc zone 10 San Diego County
    6 months ago

Beautiful, but very different from how I remember mine. The Teas are nothing if not changeable. It's one of their many charms.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

...and I love Madame Lambard.

• Karen Service
    6 months ago

I always thought that Mme Lombard was a rose that didn't get the admiration she deserved. She is a stunner in your yard, Jeri.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 months ago

Mine is pretty large (about 8' high and a bit wider), blooms most of the time, but I can't say I care for the colour most of the time. It only looks like yours, Jeri, in cool weather. The rest of the time it's quite a harsh pink.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 months ago

I don't know if it's the humidity here, or the higher latitude, or what, but Madame L is always a vibrant, but not harsh pink in bud, and rapidly turns nearly baby ribbon pink by the time she fully opens. There's always a hint of yellow at the base of the petals. I would say she's mostly a cool pink, with a warmer pink at the heart. I suspect it has a lot to do with the weaker strength of the sun here, relative to Cali or Australia.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 months ago

I would love mine to look like that. Last Spring was cool and prior to that I had cut her to about 4', intending to remove her. That didn't happen, and she grew a couple of feet and was covered in palish pink blooms with slightly darker guard petals. The effect was mesmerising.

I expect you're right about the strength of the sun.

• jacqueline9CA
    6 months ago

One thing I like about many discussions/descriptions of ML I have read is the variability of color of the blooms. Everything from a "harsh" pink, to pale yellow, to everything in between. I realize this does not necessarily happen in the same place, or at the same time, but it intrigues me. My Anna Olivier alway has soft colors, but I have seen it produce blooms of pale yellow, pale pink, and buff with brick accents, all together at the same time. Other times it can be 100% pale yellow blooms, or buff ones. One of the wonderful aspects of roses that were lost as hybridizers set a goal of "stable" bloom color.

Jackie

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 months ago

Jackie, I love roses that have different colours on the one bush, too. I much prefer them. I did once see a yellow bloom on Mme Lombard. Strangely, I don't remember my Anna Olivers being anything but a gentle apricot. I am loving a modern rose that I recently acquired called Heaven on Earth which has a relaxed habit and fades from apricot to cream.

• jacqueline9CA
    6 months ago

All of these pics are the same bush of Anna Olivier:

being pink, & yellow, & buff:

mostly yellow

pink & yellow

mostly buff

?

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    6 months ago

Here are some pics - all of one bush of Anna Olivier:

buff

pink&buff

yellow

• jacqueline9CA
    6 months ago

Well, sorry for the 2 almost identical posts of pics of Anna Olivier above. The first one completely disappeared after I spent a while composing it. So, I did the second one with less photos. The first one suddenly posted 24 hours later! The wonders of Houzz are always amazng...

Jackie

• jerijen
    Original Author
    6 months ago

To be honest (and remember, we bloom right through winter) The Madame is at her best in our winters.

• jacqueline9CA
    6 months ago

Jeri, thank you for highlighting this rose. I was looking for a tea I did not already own to put in place of the "might be Bloomfield Abundance" bush (CONSTANT PM infection pretending to be a rose bush) which got dug up last week. I started with the tea rose ladies book, and the list they recommend. None of the West Coast old rose nurseries I looked at had roses in stock as I went down the list, until I got to Madame Lombard, which Rogue Valley Roses in OR said they had in stock. After reading this thread, along with ML being recommended in the "Tea Roses, old roses for Warm Climates" book, and of course at all of the pics on HMF, I decided to order it. Many of my roses are best during our "Winter" ( I think of it more as a period which starts with a "second Spring" in Oct/Nov when the rainy season starts again - we get all sorts of local trees (like acacia), as well as all of the fruit trees, blooming, and what are supposed to be Spring bulbs coming up then). So, your warning does not bother me. Main attraction to me other than it being a good tea rose is the reported variability in the color of its blooms - I love that.

Anyway, my ML came yesterday (after only 2 days in transit!), and I potted it up into a 1 gallon pot, and put it into our deer protected New Garden. The rooted cutting was already about 10 inches high, and had good branching, and a serious amount of roots. I can't wait to see what it does! We have the spot all prepared for it, but of course I won't put it in the ground until next Spring, and only then if it looks big enough. I keep telling myself that patience is a virtue....but I don't often have enough, and this is a good example!

Jackie

• jerijen
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Just keep in mind, FWIW, M.L. mildews through my summers. She's great in the Fall, though.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor