Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

A new Hybrid Rugosa sport

roseseek
6 months ago

Friends have asked me to add a rose to HMF I find rather exciting. Flamingo is a Hybrid Rugosa from the mid 1950's and is a cross between Rugosa and White Wings. Their Flamingo sported white a number of years ago. They grafted it to isolate the sport and not only has the grafted plant continued flowering white, but the original Flamingo has continued producing both pink and white flowers! They have decided to call the rose, "Egret", in honor of the bird they see all over their area of Northern California. They related how they had shown it to Jill Perry who commented, "golly, gee, you're not feeding it enough shrimp!" (For those unfamiliar, it's shrimp in the Flamingos' diets which turn them pink.) Hopefully, it will eventually make its way out into the world! Photo of the sport and original in the discoverer's garden. Photo courtesy of the discoverer. https://helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.90940&tab=1

Flamingo was a reliable, healthy, ever-flowering rose for me in every garden in which I have planted it. How fun to have a white mate to use with it!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022