Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Pillows - the Sleeping Kind

rubyclaire
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

The down comforter thread reminded me I should seek guidance from the collective regarding bed pillows. I am a side sleeper with neck and shoulder issues. I just received a new Saatva mattress in their Luxury Firm and will probably change it to their Plush to alleviate pressure point issues on my shoulders.

But I know I need to address the issue with pillows as well. I've read conflicting information on whether the best pillows for someone like me are shaped, firm, memory foam, latex, soft, etc. Anyone with similar issues found a great solution? Funky - I saw your Warm Things recommendation but they are all sold out right now in the Down Alternative :( I'd like not to spend $200+ but will if it is the one! Thanks-

Comments (29)

• Funkyart
    6 months ago

Oh darn-- didn't realize the pillows were sold out. I balked at the price initially too. I believe it was Zalco who originally recommended them... but I was struggling and decided to give them a try. I couldn't be happier... I would recommend giving one a try if you can wait for them to restock.

I also plan to order a Saatva mattress. Ive been putting it off because I want to refresh everything at the same time and I don't have the headspace for it right now. I'll be curious to hear how you like it when you swap out to the plush.

rubyclaire thanked Funkyart
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    6 months ago

When I looked at the link, I can see the pillows are on sale. It doesn't say they are sold out, though.

rubyclaire thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I really think I'm borderline on the Plush vs Luxury Firm scale so we will see. This may take a bit of trial and error and a shipping fee, but it beats the heck out of mattress shopping in person which is torture for me.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    6 months ago

cyn - you are so right!! I'm sorry, I only looked at Down Alternative because of allergies. I will try again and see if I can edit my original post so as not to mislead anyone. Thanks!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    6 months ago

No worries, Rubyclaire. I just didn't want you to give up. I hope they get the down alternatives back in soon for you!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 months ago

Wasn't there a thread about this topic awhile back?

I remember recommending Macy's Charter Club down pillows - I love mine.

This is what I have:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-white-down-medium-density-pillows-created-for-macys?ID=4627445

Looks like prices have gone up a lot since I bought mine, tho...

• Allison0704
    6 months ago

I have neck issues (side sleeper) and have been using the enVy pillows for 5+ years. This after many trial and error purchases. They are not inexpensive but work for me. It did take a couple of nights to get used to, but I am a believer. FYI: They added the 1" insert, which I remove - too high for me but nice option to have if needed.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 months ago

I have an old neck injury, and since I can't seem to follow the physical therapist's advice to sleep on my back (without a pillow at all) - I am a side sleeper - I have tried many pillows, of different configurations, to find one that will keep my head and neck in alignment with my spine and also will not compressed during the night.

Long story short, I had resorted to folding a couple of fluffy big towels and stuffing them into a pillowcase. That worked pretty well, but after a few nights they needed to be refolded - and after washing - and it seemed that I never could quite get it perfectly right.

So, several months ago, I decided to make my own. I used the zip-off cover from an Ikea pillow, and stuffed it with a mix of the shredded memory foam from a Penney's "Big Pillow" and the springy batting from an old sofa cushion. (see photo). That has worked really well - I've had to add more more of this or that stuffing, finally fine tuning it until the firmness and thickness are just right, which it seems to be now.

On the recent thread on this subject, I mentioned that I was using 2 travel sized "My Pillow"s stuffed into one pillowcase. That was also good at first, but over time they seemed to lose resiliency and weren't as supportive. So, I went back to working on my homemade pillow.

• Sueb20
    6 months ago

I am very happy with my Casper pillows. I actually miss my pillow when I’m away from home!

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Sue - do you know which Casper you have?

• dedtired
    6 months ago

I think i am the queen of neck and shoulder problems. Had rotator cuff surgery last June. Now I sleep on a crazy combo of pillows but I love the Brookstone Bio Sense pillow. Its a shaped, memory foam pillow. Perfect for sidesleepers with neck and shoulder issues,

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Raee - I’m not a great DIYer so I’m envious of your problem solving skills!
    I didn’t see a previous thread on this topic but will dig deeper - thanks.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    6 months ago

I was influenced recently and want to call them all liars! I bought the Beckham Hotel collection pillows from the Am**on. They look so thick and fluffy in the picture but are not at all in real life. Not only that but they smash completely flat when you put your head on them. I am debating sending them back. They are cooling like advertised.

• Judi
    6 months ago
  • lascatx
    6 months ago

I've relied on contoured neck pillows for the last 25 years -- the type that are higher on the long edges and lower in the middle and work for back or side sleeping. The first one was a tempurpedic but when I needed to replace it, I found a different brand. I think the one I have from Macy's is like this one but a different brand that is no longer listed. It is lightweight and I can easily compress it for travel. The other one is one I use intermittently -- not contoured and very heavy, is a Tempurpedic sold at Costco. DH uses a Purple. It has a lot of flex, but it's a rectangular slab with 2 pads that can be used to adjust the height. He loves it. My sister has one too, but it's not a favorite with me. I remember liking a Casper pillow when we were looking at mattresses and foundations, but I cannot tell you which pillow it was. I think it may have been a hybrid.

Good luck. Everytime I replace a pillow it can take a few to find the right one. Even one you think is the same can change by the time you need another. And what works one day may not feel as great another day. And your mattress matters. I would get your mattress changed out and then figure out the pillow because changing the firmness of your mattress can change the way your head rests on a pillow.

• Sueb20
    6 months ago

Ruby, I was afraid you’d ask…I have no idea. Sorry!

ETA, found my order confirm from March 2022! I guess I have the ”original”?

rubyclaire thanked Sueb20
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Sueb20 Yes - that's how influencing is done! :)

• OutsidePlaying
    6 months ago

I have been using this Luxome Layr pillow for about 4 years now and love it. I still play with the layers occasionally but usually go back to the same configuration. It took me a couple of nights to get it right for me. A little spendy but totally worth it and still holding up well.

rubyclaire thanked OutsidePlaying
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    6 months ago

So interesting Outside. It reminds me a bit of what raee is doing with her pillows.

• ljwrar
    6 months ago

I use a buckwheat pillow and can shape it to support my neck and head however I want. Really helped my neck aches. It is hard, so I often add a thin down pillow over it.

rubyclaire thanked ljwrar
  • lascatx
    6 months ago

I forgot about that -- I had a buckwheat pillow at one time. It was pretty good, but I had to keep readjusting it. All this pillow talk makes me think back to when I was starting out and could buy a basic pillow for $4.99-$9.99 and be happy for years. I haven't bought a pillow for years, but I fully expect my next one to be $100 or more.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 months ago

@rubyclaire, yes, it reminded me of her description too, without the work and skill required!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 months ago

LOL, no skill required to stuff a pillow cover!! I had a pretty good idea of what thickness I needed, because the Ikea contour pillow was pretty perfect - if it didn't soften & compress over the course of the night. So it was a no brainer to use the zip off cover from that pillow. I happened to have the materials - and lucked out that they work perfectly. (I had saved the sofa cushion because I wanted to try the springy stuffing in the seat & back scushion of my 25 year old favorite chair, in place of the worn out foam & batting.)

I do think that having the right thickness and enough firmness to keep the head & neck straight is key. Most of the pillows I had tried lacked one or the other.

rubyclaire thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Specific ibex
    6 months ago

I’m mostly a side sleeper and have a Coop Home Goods original Loft Adjustable cross cut memory foam pillow. It has a cover and a liner (I use a pillow cover also, then a pillowcase) and extra stuffing so you can adjust it. I tried many pillows before this one and have had this for six years now. Available on the A site. Under 75 for Q size.

rubyclaire thanked Specific ibex
  • pricklypearcactus
    6 months ago

@lascatx I keep thinking that pillow quality has really gone down hill, but maybe it's just me! I remember being happy with inexpensive pillows. Now I feel like princess and the pea constantly feeling uncomfortable and unhappy with anything I purchase. Like many here, I have neck problems as well. (Some combination of athletic injury in my youth, stress at work, working at a computer, and overdoing it with exercise.) I had to mostly switch to sleeping on my back but occasionally need to flip to my side (only one side - the other has a shoulder that cannot be slept on).

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 months ago

I don't blame the pillows, I blame aging...

rubyclaire thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • petalique
    6 months ago

^^^ carolb, you always get right to the truth ;-)

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    6 months ago

So true! I don't remember caring one tiny bit about a pillow when I was 25. Now, I'm considering investment pillows :)