Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_jonash70

warming up black maple cabinets

Kris J
5 months ago

I’m looking for ideas to make this kitchen less stark but painting the cabinets isn’t an easy fix as they are textured. They are nice black maple cabinets but maybe with different backsplash and hardware?

Comments (29)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 months ago

We get to see a lot of terrible kitchens on this forum, and then we get to see a kitchen that has assembled the perfect combination of cabinets, countertops, backsplash & flooring. Your kitchen is one of those.

IMO your kitchen is an example of a stunning, modern/transitional kitchen that doesn't appear cold in any sense of the word. Did you select these finishes? How is the rest of your home furnished? If you have just moved in, perhaps your eyes need time to readjust.

• jo mu
    5 months ago

If your looking for quick simple adj I would get some nice peel and stick backsplash in something simple and white like white subway tiles.  It will brighten up the space.  You can also change the backsplash tile if that is a project your okay taking on

Your cabinets are really nice I wouldn't touch them.

• jo mu
    5 months ago

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/smart-tiles-peel-and-stick-gel-backsplash-tile-morocco-12-x-9-tcpi1232.html

Something like this they have some pretty realistic looking options for peel and stick nowadays 

Maybe order 1 and make sure the color matches your counter tops and isn't too stark

• millworkman
    5 months ago

Looks very nice. Maybe you add some under cabinet lighting would be about it in my opinion.

• jo mu
    5 months ago

You could also add under cabinet lighting

• la_la Girl
    5 months ago

I agree with Beverly - it is a nice kitchen! I wonder if you just need some styling and light counter decluttering for it to feel fresh to you?

A few ideas to take or leave: a large creamy crock or 2 for utensils, a tall white orchid for the island, a small black lamp would be charming to the left of the sink, curated soap dispensers (love Polished Jar for these), a nice french cutting board or two leaned up against the backsplash etc.

• marmiegard_z7b
    5 months ago

Yes to under cabinet lighting— adds not only light, duh, but coziness. Now you can get units that let you change from cooler to warmer. We had ours done by an electrician but of course other people, not us, are able to DIY.

With tgat, you’ll likely be motivated for some decluttering of counters, as glowing expanses of clean countertops look so nice. Try to evaluate your drawers & cabinets for good point- of - use storage for things you might think you have to leave out, but really don’t. Those items are different for each cook, each family but see what you can come up with.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 months ago

I agree with the under cab lighting! I might also swap out your counter stools for something a bit more interesting. Maybe some painted Thonet-style bentwood counter stools? https://www.dwr.com/kitchen-dining-bar-counter-stools/era-stool/1132.html?lang=en_US

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

I agree with @Iri - the busy backsplash takes away from the great cabinets and gorgeous stone countertop. If you can afford to remove and replace, I would look for something that blends with the background of the stone. Ivory, cream or white tiles with light grout.

Or try the peel and stick idea to get a sense of how it would look. Other than the backsplash, your kitchen seems very modern. And it’s really classic.

• k8cd
    5 months ago

I would also change the (minecrafty 😂) backsplash but I am just not a fan of that type tile.

As others mentioned, putting away the functional and bringing in a little style. A plant. Pretty bowls for produce.

If that doesn’t help, try changing the hardware to black? Or maybe the kitchen faucet?

But other than that, I wouldn’t change anything.

• makmartell
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

The only thing I would think about touching is that mosaic backsplash. (I hate mosaic, and it’s dated.) Otherwise? It’s perfect. Leave it be.

• lharpie
    5 months ago

What a lovely kitchen! i’d just change backsplash to something simple as it steals attention away from the gorgeous countertop!

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

Busy backsplash, cold clinical hardware, lackluster stools. Fairly easy to swap them all out for something you love that will bring the room together. The floor feels really cool too but too hard to change. If you are a fan of runners, go for it. I'm not sure the grey wall paint is doing those cabinets justice. What does the wall behind the stools look like? Do you have any inspiration pics? What is the style of the rest of your interior?

• kl23
    5 months ago

@Kris J

Add soft textured and or rounded items that are functional and color-coordinated with your adjacent space. Don't add more clutter to be decorative. Think soft fuzzy. Gift yourself new kitchen towels that are the same solid color and set out a pair of new potholders in the same color. Add the runners @Kendrah suggested and make sure they have the same color in them. If you use placemats, add some but keep the color in mind. Instead of a sleek orchid, consider a soft-foliaged herb or bouquet. Your stools look soft to me, but if you do replace them, as some suggested, think round and soft and there is another chance to add color. I didn't see any lights over the island. If you add some, think about soft curved delicate lines.

Do you have a dimmer switch for times when you are not actually working in your kitchen? Someone mentioned color temperature. Do you think that is affecting your kitchen? Is it too high? I tried putting cold lightbulbs in my bedroom so I could see my navy socks from my black socks and noticed right away that it made my beautiful pine dresser look awful and like it had dull purple-grey varnish on it. I wondered if your cabinets would look warmer with warmer lights on them. Under-cabinet lights are great, so if you get them figure out first what your color temperature should be.

Try this other stuff before tackling any backsplash replacement. And if you do, try photoshopping in different options to help you find "softer" ones, maybe something with a little texture. And for your cabinet hardware, Photoshop in some curves, even if they are the universal design "U" type.

Good luck texting your options. I hope it is fun.

• kl23
    5 months ago

@Kris J

Add soft textured and or rounded items that are functional and color-coordinated with your adjacent space. Don't add more clutter to be decorative. Think soft fuzzy. Gift yourself new kitchen towels that are the same solid color and set out a pair of new potholders in the same color. Add the runners @Kendrah suggested and make sure they have the same color in them. If you use placemats, add some but keep the color in mind. Instead of a sleek orchid, consider a soft-foliaged herb or bouquet. Your stools look soft to me, but if you do replace them, as some suggested, think round and soft and there is another chance to add color. I didn't see any lights over the island. If you add some, think about soft curved delicate lines.

Do you have a dimmer switch for times when you are not actually working in your kitchen? Someone mentioned color temperature. Do you think that is affecting your kitchen? Is it too high? I tried putting cold lightbulbs in my bedroom so I could see my navy socks from my black socks and noticed right away that it made my beautiful pine dresser look awful and like it had dull purple-grey varnish on it. I wondered if your cabinets would look warmer with warmer lights on them. Under-cabinet lights are great, so if you get them figure out first what your color temperature should be.

Try this other stuff before tackling any backsplash replacement. And if you do, try photoshopping in different options to help you find "softer" ones, maybe something with a little texture. And for your cabinet hardware, Photoshop in some curves, even if they are the universal design "U" type.

Good luck texting your options. I hope it is fun.

• housegal200
    5 months ago

Plain white backsplash the exact background white pulled from your gorgeous countertops will get you the feeling you want. No painting the cabinets!

Riverwoods Retreat · More Info

Undercabinet lighting:

After · More Info

Callada Place · More Info

• Cara Fidler
    5 months ago

As seen in this picture, the cabinets don't look black but appear brown. You could change the entire look of your kitchen if you painted the cabinets. Perhaps Cobalt blue, Sage green, pale blue or even white. I would try a backsplash that is not so busy as that was the first thing I noticed, aside from the cabinets.

• duli
    5 months ago

I’d change the backsplash tile. The busyness immediately draws my eye away from all the good features of your kitchen.

• Valinta
    5 months ago

Change backsplash and find room for utensils in kitchen drawers. It appears there is a lot of storage available. Under cabinet lighting as mentioned is a lifesaver.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 months ago

You have a beautiful kitchen, that stone is luscious and works exceptionally well with those gorgeous cabinets. The only thing I don't like is the backsplash. Change it out to a cream subway of the same color you find in the stone and BOOM! you're done and it's fabulous.

• makmartell
    5 months ago

@Cara Fidler - she doesn’t mean that the cabinets are black, but rather that they are black maple (Acer nigrum) - that’s the species of wood.

• just_janni
    5 months ago

another backsplash vote - loved the stacked creamy glass subway tile - that would be gorgeous for your beautiful cabinets and stone counters.

That in itself will lighten up the counter area - but some nice LED under cabinet ligts will perk it up too.

• deegw
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Here's a really crude mockup with a new vs the old backsplash. The new backsplash is busier than you should do in real life but the lighter ones weren't showing up as well in the mockup.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 months ago

That is a great looking kitchen! You may be able to find handles that have a little detail to them ( but that size might make it difficult ).

I agree with others about the splash - you could do so much there.

I would do light fixtures. Recessed is great, but fixtures will give you another layer of decoration for the space. Hang some pendants over the island and do a semi flush over the sink.

Good luck!

• Kris J
    Original Author
    5 months ago

These comments are all so helpful! Thank you! I think a new backsplash plus new faucets and rounded hardware would make a big difference. Thank you!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 months ago

Change all the bulbs in all the fixtures to LED 4000K it will make ahuge difference in the brightness of the spac e. I do agree a new backsplash is in order maybe a nice simple galss subway tile with matching grout . IMO the hardware is perfect so keep it.

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

Add the under cabinet lights first so you see the tile samples in the right light. Your kitchen is simple and classic. I would consider a stacked rectangular ivory tile there.

Here is horizontal.

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

Here is vertical.