Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_smith52

Should I paint this staircase black?

Sheila Smith
5 months ago

Hi
We redid our floors and now need to do something with the dated staircase. I was thinking of painting the rails and treads black and painting the risers and spindles in the same white as the trim. Thoughts?

Comments (11)

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    5 months ago

I‘m not a professional but my first thought is that - if the treads are currently hardwood - painting them cheapens and devalues them.

Sheila Smith thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • bry911
    5 months ago

Yes. I have a black staircase, and everyone comments on it. I am so happy we did it.

Sheila Smith thanked bry911
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    5 months ago

I would agree that painting the spindles black would be a good update. I am also wanting to paint my metal railing black. However, I would not paint the wood on the stairs. I think the wood is beautiful and does not need to match the floor. It already looks like the risers match the woodwork…..the colors must be close. I would paint the risers the same color, but leave the steps alone. For what it’s worth, my floors and stairs have never matched.

debra

Sheila Smith thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • acm
    5 months ago

I'm sorry you didn't find flooring that harmonized better with your stairs, but I wouldn't compound the mistake with paint.

Sheila Smith thanked acm
  • susan49417
    5 months ago

Please do not paint the beautiful wood treads. Perhaps a runner on the stairs to cover the majority of the wood would be enough to minimize the difference in wood tones.

Sheila Smith thanked susan49417
  • Sheila Smith
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Maybe I could stain the stairs in a tone that goes better with the floors and add a runner? Not use paint on the wood but rather strip and stain them instead.

I am curious as to what color you like on the walls? The lighting in my pictures isn't very good but the paint that's on there is Sherwin Williams Gossamer Veil.

The piano ended up there when it was delivered. It is going to stay in that room, but I may have it moved to where the book cases are as I also do not like it's current location.

• Anna
    5 months ago

The staircase is classic and beautiful. Dont paint it!

Sheila Smith thanked Anna
  • Stacey
    5 months ago

I think it looks really pretty as is. A runner would look good too.

Sheila Smith thanked Stacey
  • bry911
    5 months ago

You are not likely to get the stair treads to match the floors.

I love wood... I am woodworker, it is not unusual for me to spend tens of thousands of dollars on wood every year, but I don't love that deep formal stain on the stairs with the more rustic natural floors. I don't personally think it is going to get better if you stain it, but that is just me.

In fact, I think the only reason this looks OK is because of how deep the stair color is, that it is already getting some of that distinguished look that black would provide.

I would have never thought that painting stairs was a good idea until I was really forced into doing it. However, I am a big fan of it now. We painted the posts, treads, and rails black, and left the risers and spindles white. I get a lot of positive comments on it and it has held up well so far.

There are plenty of example pictures of this, so you are not an outlier if you decide to go that way.

Sheila Smith thanked bry911
  • Sheila Smith
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you. That is what I am thinking - paint the posts, treads, rails black and risers and spindles white. I appreciate hearing that you did this same thing and are happy with the results. I just don't like the way it looks now.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths