Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elenazone6

How many new roses for Season 2024?

elenazone6
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

I understand that we all find ourselves in different situations, but I'm curious about how many new roses you plan to introduce to your garden?

Have ordered/planning from:

DA - 3

Bring me Sunshine

Munstead Wood - 2

Regans - 8

Bolero

Cosmic Clouds

Love Song

Polka

Pop Art

Queen of Elegance

Scentuous

Yves Piaget

UR - 6

Paul Bocuse
Versigny
Etrusca
Stile' 800
Sonia Rykiel
Dames de Chenonceau

Palatine (?) -8

Crazy Fashion

Crazy Love
Easy Does It
Florentina
Garden Delight
Gruaud Larose
Peach Melba
Sweet Delight

Comments (97)

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

So good to see you posting here, Beth! I'm glad that you're ordering roses to replace those that you lost. It takes a long time to do that. I lost a whole whack of roses and I'm still replacing them. I wish I could buy roses on Etsy. All that I can get here are rose seeds. lol

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 months ago

Getting the David austin catalogue yesterday isnt going to help my no more ordering after Palatine resolve.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

I thought the catalog was much better than last years.

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

They stopped sending me the catalogue about 5 years ago or more. Drat.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 months ago

You guys got the new DA Catalog? They just sent me one last week but it was the 2023 Catalog lol..which they've already sent me 2 of this year.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

Sultry, if you were planning on ordering from DA this year you should request one, at least you’ll get the coupon

4 months ago

I agree that it is a better catalogue this yesr.

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

I got the DA catalog yesterday, which surprised me, since I didn't order from them last year. I ordered from them in fall 2021 for spring 2022 delivery. I haven't opened it yet, but there is an apparently unique code for 10% off on the back cover. Unique, as in it's only one-time-use, and is different on each catalog.

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Austin doesn't sell to Canadians (booo!!) so we don't get their catalogues.

• Diane Brakefield
    4 months ago

Carol, I think that not selling to a fellow Commonwealth country like Canada is really wretched of Austin. Very patriotic of them. Not. Diane

4 months ago

Just when I believed that I would only order from Palatine because of space and time, along comes the DA catalogue.

So anything that I cant get from Palatine will be an Austin rose instead.

Could be Eustacia Vye, could be Gabriel Oak. I will probably order one of the two regardless.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

Kristine, I really like both of them but if you can only get one I’d have to go with Gabriel-he’s pretty much perfect

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Diane - yeah, I know. Boooo!!!

Kristine - oooh!!! Yes, get them!!

4 months ago

I really like the color of Gabriel abd he is one of my grandsons

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Kristine - you have to get it then. :) :)

• berrypiez6b
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Gabriel has such heavenly blooms and hellish thorns- I'm on the fence.

4 months ago

It looks like it may also be too big for any space that I have

• Diane Brakefield
    4 months ago

Gabriel is also Austin's Featured Rose today. I got the email. There were some beautiful pics. Diane

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    4 months ago

The Prince (AUSVelvet) is in stock in GR LLC now. I just added to my order together with Augusta Louise, Distant Drums and WS 2000.

Thanks to Kitty who posted this in another thread @KittyNYz6

4 months ago

GR LLC sure has a wonderful variety of Austins dont they

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Berrypie - lol, yeah.

Forever - mmmm...you got some beauties!!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    4 months ago

Kristine and Carol: Thanks! I wish these new babies will do good

My Heirloom order has come. Love Song, Ebb Tide and Twighlight Zone (for a friend). This is the first time I ordered from Heirloom and I am impressed with their plants. We have mild weather for coming days so I have put mine in ground already.

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Forever - you got some really beautiful purples!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    4 months ago

Newbie, Love Song, Ebb Tide, and Twilight Zone are gorgeous roses and outstanding bloomers. ET and TZ have lovely scents, especially ET. Your friend will love TZ which is my favorite purple of all. I have multiples of each, I love them so much. I'm going to do a TZ album on the seasonal thread before long. I hope your new roses delight you. Diane

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    4 months ago

Carol: yeah these are beautiful purple roses and I am excited.

Diane: can’t wait to see your TZ album. You are the Queen of purple roses 🪻

• Diane Brakefield
    4 months ago

Thank you so much Newbie. I've been checking out Thierry Marx since I watched Ben's video. I immediately noticed the resemblance to Young Lycidas who is purplish, and checked TM out on HMF. I think YL is more beautiful, though. See what I'm talking about on the seasonal thread. I also posted a Jude the Obscure album a bit up that thread. Since nothing's blooming here, it gives me something to do, and I try to spread out the photos over the years, showing these roses' staying power. Diane

4 months ago

Oursteelers, I got the new DA Catalog today! I dont know why they sent the 2023 one first. Maybe they needed to get rid of them haha. I havent had a chance to look through the 2024 issue much yet but it does look nicer than the last few yrs from what I can see so far.

I am not sure what all I am going to order yet. The 10% off might cover the tax and a little more 😅

I guess its better than nothing.

I am going to get another Red Eden. I also want a grafted Sombreuil. I need to replace my Golden Celebration if they still have any. Still deciding what else.

I got Eustacia Vye a few yrs ago and have not been impressed. She doesnt seem to like our heat and himidity. I do have her by a block building so maybe I need to move her.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

Sultry, have you tried Sombreuil own root and were not happy? Mine is own root and it doesn’t seem to be one that needs to be grafted

4 months ago

I had one from a tiny band at my old place and it took about 3 yrs to get a decent size. It didnt bloom that much. I am thinking if I get another one that is grafted it might bloom more and get bigger faster. I want it for my red and white rose area. All the red roses are already pretty big.

4 months ago

Does anyone know anything about TIAMO? I see it on Edmunds 2024 new roses. The bloom kinda reminds me of Munstead Woods shape. It may be more of a true red. I didnt see anything about fragrance.

Ti Amo in Italian, supposedly means, I love you.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 months ago

I just noticed Tiamo too, There is an entry on HMF, the pics there don’t look as nice as Edmunds’. It is a scentless Kordes, I will take a hard pass.

• Jadae
    4 months ago

Some commercial photos of Tiamo had powdery mildew on them. ARF.

I bought the most roses this year than ever before, and Ive been buying roses since I was 14. I had a near fatal surgery last February and said screw it. I'm buying whatever the heck I want. So I did. About 24 roses. Which is a lot considering a few seedlings are also mature in their 7G pots and need to be planted. So, really, about 30. To be fair, I'm removing about 16. Either meh roses, monsters, or seedlings I now have improvements on.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 months ago

I'm with you on that Jadae. Same experience I sept. I'm just getting a fefewfefew and don't want to jinx them. N most others are from cuttings start over the Summer and Fall.

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

I'm the same way...health problems, vision problems...I'm buying what I want now while I can enjoy them!! Jadae...I'm sorry about your terrible surgery experience. Vaporvac...I can't quite understand what you wrote...you almost died in a surgery too? My goodness. Eeek!

4 months ago

Ok thanks for the info! I also just noticed it says on hmf the blooms are only 2.5 inches which would be a lot smaller than I thouht. Those pics on hmf show a glaring red too.

I like more blue toned reds or a very true dark red..not really into really bright reds or orangy reds especially with no fragrance.

I guess I will be taking a pass as well haha. We dont really get powdery mildew here. Blackspot is the main disease.

I will let someone else be the guinea pig for this one lol.

4 months ago

Jadae and Vaporvac sorry to hear you had bad surgery experiences recently. That is really scary! I am glad you are both here to enjoy rose gardening with us!

So far this year, I am mainly going to order old garden roses and a few replacement roses for ones that didnt make it. Maybe one or 2 new modern varieties. I still have many in pots because I still need put in more new rose beds.

4 months ago

I found myself purussing Garden Roses LLC snd am quite taken with The Lady Gardner and either Falstaff or WS2000 . I am also on the wait list for another rose whose name escapes me. I have zero room so eveything would be potted. Someone needs to hide my credit card.

• berrypiez6b
    4 months ago

Don't look at me Kristine, my own credit card is still warm from my seed order.

I thought we all got WS2000 already. Nate must have grown an abundance in preparation for word to travel.

WS2000 is a magnificent rose , but I'm not very fond of it's fragrance.

If you don't already have Evelyn, it is very beautiful and worth growing .

Jubilee Celebration is the rose I have been waiting for - I almost ordered it at Grace Rose Farm for the steepest price I ever considered paying for a rose. Fortunately Garden Roses LLC stepped in.

I delivered a Christmas I.O.U. to my neighbor down the road for a few rose bushes in Spring. If she wants 3 of my old ones, that would be even better - then I'll move the new Austins in !

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

Kristine I really like aThe Lady Gardener

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

I’m hoping to get WS2000 from High Country

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Kristine - lol

Berrypie - oh my!!! Your WS2000 is Glorious!!!! SWOON!! I'd love to get Evelyn again. Hopefully your neighbor wants one of your current roses...it'll be an established rose and will give blooms very quickly...lol

Oh, Oursteelers!!! What a BEAUTY!!! Another SWOON!!! It's lit from within. :) :)

4 months ago

Oursteelers, you’re not helping lol

I have alwsys loved The Lady Gardner maybe time to take the plunge. How tall is she for you?

I like the prices at GR LLC. The rose is less than the pot and soil

4 months ago

Looks like Lady Gardner is fairly large, prob probably too big for a pot. Maybe my new neighbors would like some rose bushes

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

Mine is small right now but the growth pattern looks big, Kristine. She is not one I would consider for a pot.

• sylviaww 9a,hot dry Inland SoCal
    4 months ago

I ordered Geschwinds Orden from RVR because I thought it would stay small … I soon realized my error. HMF says 13’ minimum. I contacted RVR, and they are substituting La Marne. Polyanthas I can deal with.
    My only other order this year will be from Burlington. Lady Kidwell and Clotilde Soupert. She sent me a CS last year, but I let it drown in our El Niño. Trying again.

4 months ago

You will love Lamar And CST CSTS.

• Patrick-7a-MD
    3 months ago

MARJORIE FAIR (Polyantha, 1977) - single, cerise-red with a white eye.

NUR MAHAL (Hybrid Musk, 1923) - semi-double, cherry red.

Marjorie Fair at HelpMeFind Roses

3 months ago

Patrick, you will love Marjorie fair! I have 2 of them thus far and wouldn't mind having half a dozen for the front of a border. Charming, charming rose. I've always wanted to know how to look forward to hearing how NureNurNureNur Mahal Does for you.1 doesn't hear much about this rose.

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Patrick - that is darling!!! The color is wonderful too. :) :)