Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

using a vessel sink as a replacement for built-in sink?

Fori
3 months ago

This sink is from Kohler. It also comes in pink.

I have a sink in a tile counter. The sink needs replacing. The counter does not. Would it be really bad to cut out the sink, add supports as needed, and drop this thing (or another suitably sized white rectangular vessel sink) over the hole? (The old galvanized plumbing needs to be refreshed also so that's not a sticking point.)

...and...uh...can one even cut out a cast iron sink? I can't just remove the whole thing without damaging the tile or vanity. And I don't want to redo the whole bathroom just for a bad sink. Err, a bad sink and bad plumbing.

Comments (11)

• Travis Johnson
    3 months ago

Your height would be off.

An inch or two does not sound like a big deal, but it really is. It just feels weird to be at a sink of the wrong height and can even hurt your back if you spend a lot if time in front of it.

Fori thanked Travis Johnson
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks guys...Palimpsest is correct--being a tile counter where a pink sink is appropriate, this is definitely a low low vanity. It still would be below the 36" height. I wouldn't like the increased height but my kids are taller than I am and this is the bathroom they use. :)

If this concept would actually function, I think it requires the pink sink instead of a white one to look less cobbled together. If I have to use a white sink, I can't have it sitting proud of the counter like that.

• palimpsest
    3 months ago

Could you post a picture?

Personally I was very disappointed that these Kohler colors do Not come on an ordinary drop in vanity sink and alcove bathtub. The colors are most suitable for midcentury houses, but they are not available on basic, typical, midcentury forms. (The colors were introduced in the 20s and 30s, but both made it to the early 1970s. Spring Green was replaced with a slightly darker Spruce Green at some point, but very similar).

Fori thanked palimpsest
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 months ago

You are so right about the colors and styles! I'm about to do my master bath and while Spring Green isn't as nice as the rusty minty green I have to take out, I'd go for it if "Memoirs" didn't look so stupid in a 50s ranch.

This sink is so weird I figured it might work anyway, and cover the damage from getting the sink out. I think it is too pink though. And mechanically this would be asking a lot...

So I've been ignoring this bathroom for years and now that it's time to repipe, I have to confirm what can stay. Not the prettiest but it can be fixed up now that I have time to do it. Vanity should be an easy rehab and everything is solid (set in mud solid). Floor and tub surround are the salmon color with chocolate accents, although salmon on vertical surfaces is a glossy, different shade.

You've actually advised me on wallpaper and stuff for this bathroom, Palimpsest, and I have not followed through, partly out of being too busy but also because I knew some sort of demolition had to happen. (If I'd known how long it would have taken, I might have done it anyway!) All I've done is replace the faucet...

I've been looking for solid surface products (Corian, quartz) in an acceptable pinkish or brown and been unsuccessful. Getting some laminate samples from Wilsonart but I don't think laminate is the right compromise. B&W has a brown that is just about close enough...so I guess all brown is an option. They don't have the trim profile but probably nobody would notice if it didn't match the tub.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 months ago

" Would it be really bad to cut out the sink, add supports as needed, and drop this thing (or another suitably sized white rectangular vessel sink) over the hole?"

No, it's an excellent idea, particularly if you're saving vintage tile.

"can one even cut out a cast iron sink?"

Yes. It's a PIA, but doable.

Fori thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • G W
    3 months ago

My mom did just that with her vintage salmon tile bathroom. She even used a white vessel sink which was what was available. She's really good with color and made it look great. It functioned very well.

Fori thanked G W
  • palimpsest
    3 months ago

I think the Kohler sink at least references modernism, vs. the other pieces.

Peachblow is a pretty peachy fleshy pink. so it might be okay, although if the existing sink is Kohler it looks like Tuscan or Suez Tan.

Kohler does offer Peachblow and Spring Green on the San Souci toilet, which is modern looking.

But I really don't understand the marketing behind a suite that consists either of a modern looking sink, a modern looking toilet and a neo-Victorian bathtub, or a Deco sink and toilet with a neo-Victorian bathtub. Really disappointed in the outcome of the reintroduction of these colors.

Fori thanked palimpsest
  • Fori
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks all!

I do have a white toilet next to it (🙁) out of necessity...if the pink sink looks okay I will get a pink potty. But if I have to get a white sink like GW's mom, I guess the potty and sink can be friends. I've been meaning to get a pink seat...

I've never gotten a sure color name for the sink (and tub and original toilet). I think they are American Standard (I think I remember the toilet being marked). "Bermuda Coral" maybe...

• PRO
    lisedv
    3 months ago

With your white toilet and white vanity, I suggest you go with a white vessel sink. Your counter seems to be the old type that were lower than today's new standards so the vessel sink should be fine.

• elcieg
    3 months ago

My suggestion is not to do a vessel sink in the bathroom. There will be water splashed all over the counter. Use it in a powder room or a wet bar instead...where there isn't constant use.