Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

A list of "annuals" that overwinter as bare root (eg Pelargonium)?

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

As many of you have experienced, it isn't difficult to 'revive' these geraniums come the spring.

(Dahlias and alocasia are two others that can be stored bare root in a cool dark setting and then regrown...year after year)

I am just curious as to what other 'tender' perennials) do you overwinter similarly, as simply bareroot in a box.

Comments (22)

• 41 North (Zone 7a/b, NE, coastal)
    2 months ago

Coleus and various begonias are easy. So too, canna, ginger, spike dracaena (those overwintered in the ground this years), even bananas can be treated as annuals. I don't do like geraniums except for the scented ones though, tried to love them, but not luck. My summer climate is too WET and HUMID for them.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked 41 North (Zone 7a/b, NE, coastal)
  • rosaprimula
    2 months ago

Loads of them. Pretty much almost anything which goes into winter dormancy with a robust enough root system, so all geophytes, numerous hardy and tender perennials, from paeonies to geraniums, verbascum, phlox, asters. osteospermum, verbenas, liatris,...Nearly all nursery stock was field grown and either lifted and stored in cool dry conditions and sent off as bare-roots. Even now, the box stores will almost. certainly be carrying a slew of woody shrubs, bulbs and tough perennials which have been dug up and stripped back to their roots and a small amount of woody top growth or crown material.. I would imagine someone with more familiarity with nursery stock (GG comes to mind) could draw up a fairly comprehensive list.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked rosaprimula
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 months ago

By 'bare root', do you mean the plants dug from their summer bedding or pots, stripped of foliage or cut back, then stored - roots exposed - in a cool, dark location? Other than pellies, I can't think of any annuals or temperennials that are treated in this manner. And I don't consider any bulbs, tubers, corms or rhizomes as "bare root" stock.

It may well be that plants are marketed differently in different regions but in my area, selling plants bare root is a very limited practice. Only box stores or dodgy wholesalers and mail order vendors sell bare root perennials here. No one sells bare root annuals. Retail nurseries and garden centers sell a very limited selection of bare root stock - fruit trees. cane berries, a handful of shrubs (lilac, forsythia, willows. dogwood), roses and a few early veggie starts like asparagus, leeks and onions, strawberries. Everything else is sold as a growing (although perhaps dormant) plant with soil around the roots.

Part of the reason is the vast majority of retail nurseries here are not growers but only resellers and they don't have either the growing or storing facilities for bare root stock. And storage is critical. I shy away from anything bare root that cannot be found in a better retail nursery as the product deteriorates rapidly if not stored correctly and the box stores, et al do not achieve this criteria at all successfully.

btw, bare root stock should be sold while fully dormant. My local nursery - the best and largest in the area - pots all the stock they receive as bare root as that extends its window of salability by months, if necessary.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    2 months ago

By 'bare root', do you mean the plants dug from their summer bedding or pots, stripped of foliage or cut back, then stored - roots exposed - in a cool, dark location?

Hey 'gg', that's exactly I was referring to when I wrote "as simply bareroot in a box".

Other than pellies, I can't think of any annuals or temperennials that are treated in this manner.

That's interesting 'gg'. So I wonder what is special about pelargoniums that allow for such storage?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 months ago

May I suggest Missouri Botanical Garden plant finder? They tell the truth. They aren't trying to sell flowers, so they don't say lobelia erinus, for example, is an annual. Yes, we use them that way, but they're actually perennials. Look it up ahead of time, and you'll have a better time than just trial or error. You'll never overwinter anything that is a true annual. But a tender perennial, you have a good chance.

Original Author
    2 months ago

I suggest Missouri Botanical Garden plant finder? They tell the truth.

For sure that is always an option ie "to google".

But for me the appeal to post here is that one is able to get feedback from experienced gardeners that I "know".

But a tender perennial, you have a good chance.

Yes. Such as a pelargonium.

But it seems that 'simple' bare root storage from Fall to Spring isn't a widely successful technique for tender perennials?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 months ago

Missouri Botanical Garden has been on target more than experienced gardeners, from my past experience. But to each their own. Google doesn't cut it either. Some sites get it right, some don't. MO Bot, always gets it right.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 months ago

" MO Bot, always gets it right. "

I beg to differ......they do not always get it right! I have encountered numerous errors on that site. Most of the time the info is accurate if somewhat generalized and is certainly presented with a focus on plant performance in the St Louis, MO area. And some issues are not addressed at all, like how suited a plant would be for storage over winter in a bare root state. This is definitely a topic where input from gardeners that do practice this methodology is significant.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 months ago

To each their own ;)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    2 months ago

I've never tried them bare root in a box, but do overwinter brugmansia dry in a corner of the garage in a way similar to geraniums.

I also found it interesting that calibrachoa survived the same treatment, and bounced back very well once I started watering the pot again. It was supposed to be an overwintered rosemary, but the rosemary mostly died.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • beesneeds
    2 months ago

I grow pelargonium as a perennial and annuals. I keep mothers in their pots and they get brought into the closed porch during the winter. Mostly dry, but still enough water that they live on. Midwinter I start watering more once the light tilts- and then I get my growth flush for cuttings. Cuttings are ready to plant out in the gardens as annuals once warm weather hits. Sometimes I get a good one out in the garden with a nice shape- I dig it up in the fall, knock most of the dirt off, and into a pot it goes to hold through winter. I usually grow out mothers for 6-8 years before the shape is gone or I get another summer grower that is just really nice.

I have accidently killed the heck out of some of them by pulling them for storage and they went too dry and poof... no come back. They died instead of dry storage. An experiment pushed too far. So I do it in the dirt and some moisture to make sure they live to be mothers again.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked beesneeds
  • LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    2 months ago

I’m certainly no expert, but I always considered the lifting of bulbs, tubers and corms as different than bare root. And yes, most bare root storage always seems somewhat out of my skill set and not something I would get too excited about dabbling in as a personal home garden grower. Indeed, the one time recently I ordered the latest trendy tree which was sold bare root - my treasure arrived, I soaked over night, planted the next day, watered diligently over the next few months, and the thing was a perfectly dried out stick at the end.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I grow pelargonium as a perennial and annuals.

Same here @beesneeds. I have one permanently in a container that I bring in each Fall and this year I have 3 bare root that I recently potted up. These plants are so good for so many reasons.

Original Author
    2 months ago

but I always considered the lifting of bulbs, tubers and corms as different than bare root.

But there is little difference in terms of technique i.e. shake off the earth, make sure it is dry and then box it away till spring in a coolish dry location in your home.

• LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    2 months ago

I guess the way I see it is with corms, you actually aren’t preserving the roots, but the storage mechanism which produces the roots. Whereas I always looked at bare root as keeping the roots somewhat intact. I guess it could said that the corm is one big root. But I’ve never heard the term used for my tropicals.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
  • Jeb zone 5
    2 months ago

Around 90% of Pelargoniums (what we call geraniums) originated in South Africa where there is a pronounced dry cool season. They have evolved to withstand dry conditions with fleshy stems and roots that retain water to get them through the dry times. The stems and roots probably have what is called a waxy cuticle which is a physical barrier that allows the plant to stay hydrated when it is not actively growing and experiencing dry conditions. When geraniums are stored dry over the winter they usually lose their leaves which cuts down on transpiration and conserves water too. Storing a tender perennial with bare roots is not the same as storing dormant tubers, bulbs or rhizomes which are storage organs normally without any top growth. Storing tender perennials dry in a box is not the same as overwintering dormant hardy perennials, shrubs or trees which have a very defined dormant period and usually require low temperatures for several months in order to regrow the following season.

My grandmother used to hang geraniums from the rafters in the cellar of the old farmhouse, it would get cold but not freezing and most of them would be alive when spring arrived. The cellar had a "dirt" floor, that may have increased the humidity which helped them get through the winter. I have never had any luck storing geraniums dry over the winter and am not aware of many (if any) other plants can be treated this way to keep them alive during the winter months.

Original Author
    2 months ago

The stems and roots probably have what is called a waxy cuticle which is a physical barrier that allows the plant to stay hydrated when it is not actively growing and experiencing dry conditions.

Its got to be something like this as I am always impressed at how "plump" the stems are after being boxed up for months on end.

Storing a tender perennial with bare roots is not the same as storing dormant tubers, bulbs

I was mostly referring to the technique, the procedure, which for me is identical whether it be for tender geraniums or say...alocasia corms.

I have never had any luck storing geraniums dry over the winter

Lots I can't do from 'scratch' but so far (a few years now) saving geraniums as bare root has been really good. So I say 'Jeb'...give it another go.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    2 months ago

Reminds me, I should bring in the potted 'BullsEye' geraniums from the garage and start them into growth to take cuttings.

Just brought all seven plants in and all looking good, now cut back and cleaned up as well.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I should bring in the potted 'BullsEye' geraniums from the garage

@FrozeBudd_z3/4, how cold does it get in that garage of yours?? Its gotta go below zero right?!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    2 months ago

The garage does fall well below freezing during our deepest bitter cold spells, this is when I move the tender potted plants up against the warm wall of the house and pile those containers over with heavy blankets, or temporarily set them in the house. Of tender plants being held over are a few other geraniums, petunias, penstemon 'Arabesque Red', salvia 'Mystic Spires', verbena bonariensis 'Vanity', I wanted to see how second year plants perform and take cuttings as well, and the alstroemeria 'Inca Ice' that I decided to give a winters rest.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 months ago

I have grown columbines and clematis from bare root but they are not tender perennials I guess. I have also seen hollyhocks being sold that way.