Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Companion 2023 ......................

Who are your hostas friends? What grows close to them and makes your hosta pop! (Pop is the new Kool word).

So much for planning.

This was drawn by a boy named Hercules who lives in the UK. You send him a photo of your pet and he draws it for you, as he sees it.

Show us your friends' friends who look good in the garden.

Comments (60)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

Ok, a few more:

blurry Heuchera Peach Flambe

Friesland Salvia

Japanese Moccachino Astilbe

Aralia Sun King (2nd year)

debra

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

@old_dirt 6a I love that wild ginger - the leaf is so pretty! I’ve thought about finding a place for some of it but worry about it getting too comfy & spreading too far. Is that an issue? Remember my winters are much milder than yours. I’m concerned because I planted just a few plugs of Corsican Mint - looks like baby’s tears but blooms with teeny blue flowers. It went into a small shady side yard area. It’s now everywhere I look & even coming up between pavers on patio! Easy to pull up but holy cow!

@djacob Z6a SE WI Beautiful plants in your yard. I love the Japanese Astilbe & the Japenese Forest Grass as I call it. I have that along a path on north side so in shade - it’s under a big Acuba Coffee Strike plant - love the yellow in the shade - looks like sun! It’s on right of path in picture. And, of course, more Heuchera & ferns. @ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida - see the small sword fern to left of little blue blird bath & the Tassel Fern at right edge of pic - you should look for that one since you’re venturing into ferns! It’s not a reliable evergreen here but I bet it would be in your FL climate.

Also - since we’re supposed to be talking Hosta, there is a small hosta in this pic on right side - that’s my Halcyon that was reverting on my June. That’s one season’s growth on it. There are more than several small / mini hosta along the left side of path. Last spring I divided some too wide minis & sprinkled them around in bare spots.

• old_dirt 6a
    2 months ago

KW PNW Z8 - I had the ginger for several years before it really started to spread. Now that it is established, it does get a little out of hand. Does not just pull up easily and will pop up in other areas, I think birds might carry the seeds elsewhere.

I know what you mean about the mint. Planted some spearmint & lemon balm years ago. I think I've almost eliminated the mint but don't think I'll ever get the lemon balm under control. In my experience, vinca is the hardest to eliminate or get under control.

I absolutely love your path there!

So many great companion plants here, gives me lots of ideas.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

Two corrections on my post: the Salvia is May Night. (I have East Friesland Salvia in another spot. And the Astibe is just Moccachino Astilbe.

debra

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 months ago

Kathy..I’m jealous of your red heucheras and your stone path!..you mentioned Tassel fern..I think? mine could be gone..my shoulder injury dominated my summer..I don’t remember seeing it..🙁
    beautiful companion plants everyone!!..hostas look great with all plants!..
    I love tropical plants with hostas..
    Paula..you could outdo all of us when it comes to tropicals!..love your fern..

see the wild ginger on the right by the tree?..it’s scattered throughout the backyard..it does spread..

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago

Thanks for your praise of my path Ann & old_dirt! It’s been a work in progress these last couple years as I’ve been cultivating that area more. Perfect spot for ferns & yes, I love my tassel fern Ann! Last spring & summer I pulled out 3 overgrown Rock Rose / Cistus ”Micki” shrubs on the left & sunny side & replaced with Kalaidascope Abelia. The spring before - ‘22 - we had pulled out 2 of the big Acubua shrubs on the right & shade side leaving the one you see that was in the middle. It is acquiring a nice full shape quickly. So, the plantings along this path are a work in progress. It’s on the north side of my house so the right side is shade - a tiny bit of late afternoon summer sun at the top of path by gate. The left side is very sunny. An interesting contrast & also interesting which heucheras do well on each side.

Thanks to both of you for showing me your beautiful ginger plantings. I think I’ll admire it from afar! That Corsican mint I mentioned that shows up everywhere tolerates foot traffic & I do walk in the bed I planted it in. I think it spreads from that too - getting little pieces stuck on my shoes & hand tools. I’ve found little clumps of it between the stones in this path too & where it was planted purposely is on the south side of my house in a bed across the sidewalk from house there - so shade too. I’d leave it between the stones but need to decide if I’m ok with it in these beds too because it will jump from path to beds! It does smell so nice though.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 months ago

Just WOW everyone!!! Such beautiful gardens and so diverse. Well ordered, serene, exciting, tropical.... across the board. We are so lucky to see and share!

I will leave out some that have been shown like the gingers and Lobelia s. both of which I adore.

Actaea 'Brunette'

Actaea 'Cheju-Do'

Actaea rubra under a huge maple.

Aralia 'Sun King' on its 1st full year.

Aruncus aethusifolius

Aruncus 'Horatio'

Various Astilbe with some Trollius that are not terribly happy.

2 months ago

Astilbe 'Bridal Veil'

Astilbe 'Color Flash Lime'

Astilbe 'Fanal'

Astilbe 'Pumila'

Astilboides tabularis

Astrantia

Chelone

Cypripedium reginae

Daylily 'Crimson Pirate'

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago

peren - that pic of Daylily Crimson Pirate is just WOW!

2 months ago

Laurie..outstanding plants!..Astilboides tabularis is a new one for me..looks prehistoric!..love it..
    my biggest astilbe..

a volunteer Jack in the Pulpit bottom left..more..

2 months ago

One of 3 Dicentra 'Luxuriant' on its 1st year. I have older ones but the need work. Dicentra spectabilis has been shown. I am starting over with fresh after many years.

Digitalis purpurea

Epimedium 'Sulphureum'. Epimedium are so adaptable to dry shade.

Northern Maidenhair is probably the fav fern that I can grow.

Royal Fern - Osmunda regalis with Geranium phaeum 'Samobor' & 'Shadowlight'. Also Onoclea sensibilis.

Filipendula vulgaris

Gentian dahurica

Gentian septemfida var. lagodechiana

Gillenia trifoliata past prime. It is a fav.

2 months ago

Helleborus

Hepatica acutiloba

Apparently I did not get any Heuchera pics this year.

Kirengeshoma koreana with a couple of Crocosmia blooms.

Ligularia 'The Rocket"

Lobelia cardinalis. I love them so much I let them seed pretty much wherever they want.

Lupins

2 of 3 Mukdenia 'Karasuba'

2 months ago

Rodgersia aescuifolia

Rodgersia pinnata 'Elegans'

Solomon's Seal

Thalictrum aquilegiifolium

• chamaegardener (Z5) Northeast Illinois
    2 months ago

Japanese maples, conifers, tri-color beech

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 months ago

So many good ideas for companion plants! I always like astilbe mixed in with hostas.

After writing off Elephant Ears for many years, I’m toying with the idea of trying them in pots again.

Laurie, you have such a nice collection. I really like the red berries on your Actaea rubra. Also like the way the Aruncus 'Horatio' holds its flowers. Nice stand of Chelone. I couldn’t get mine going. I’m on the fence about trying Rodgersia again, but I’m glad to see yours is still doing well. If by some freaky quirk of my garden, I have an area that stays moist, I’d try growing Lobelia cardinalis. I’m sure the hummers love yours!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

Wow, Laurie!! I can’t pronounce half of yours!! 😆 Your astilbes are just beautiful! Mine have never done well. Don’t know it they need more sun, more shade, less roots? 🤷🏼‍♀️

Ann, your topicals are very nice. Great addition to your garden!

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

chamaegardener, that’s a lovely garden area!

debra

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Does astilbe self-seed? I have ginger. This is the second year for this patch. I am actually looking for self-seeders. I get a ton ( I have measured ) of seeds blown in across the lake. Out there anything goes and junk grows. I brought in Purslane to seed my floors areas and it is not working fast enough. I realized when my friends look at my garden they see a wall of green. Straight stripe. We see individual plants no matter how crowded. Believe it or not: People like to wash their hair with this ginger. That Taro is another plant that runs rapid through the yard too.

This is the second year for this patch of ginger. It grew from a knuckle off the ginger root. I am digging it out and it is going to the free box.

Oh it will be back.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago

@ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida I don’t think astilbe self seeds but I am sure it spreads by roots or rhizomes under ground but not aggressively. Mine has. I leve my astilbe flower heads on until the following spring clean up. Are those red cone looking things the ginger flowers? Pretty cool looking!

2 months ago

Thank you Kathy! When I redid this bed I decided to leave Crimson Pirate because I like it so much. I divided it since it was a bit congested. You have such a broad array of plants that you can grow and they all look great!

Ann the Astilboides leaves are huge and I think it would look great in your garden. Jack in the Pulpit is such a terrific plant. Your tropicals are so impressive.

Thanks Lisa! The hummingbirds do go crazy for the Lobelia and the clear red flowers make me happy. Crocosmia 'Lucifer' Is a fav of hummers and it is a really easy going plant. I do hope you give Rodgersia another go.

Debra Astilbes like a nice rich soil so if you give them a top dressing of compost every year or two they will be happier. In your zone they would probably appreciate more shade. Tree roots would not be their friend. Love your Moccachino!

Paula your ginger is so nice! I would never be able to grow that here in the garden. Astilbe straussenfeder - the Ostrich plume reseeds quite readily but most others just expand as a clump like Kathy said.

Anyone who has trouble with Astilbe could try any of the Astilbe chinensis such as 'Superba' or 'Pumila'. They are much more forgiving as far as moisture and sun.

chamaegardener I remember you doing this bed and it is looking wonderful.

2 months ago

debra..thank you!..I do love tropicals..I’m with you..I can’t pronounce the names of Laurie's‘ plants either!..my take on astilbes..I don’t think they can be too wet..even when I don’t think they need water when I check the edges are crispy..🙁..the biggest one is growing in a moist spot..

Paula..saw this and thought of you..can you do a caption for us?..

I have one astilbe in the path 4?5? inches from the big plant..haven’t noticed any other babies..

Laurie..love your compliments 🙂..your garden is impressive!..so much to see!..so much color!..I think Astilboides would look great here too..Big works here..Big logs, stones, pots and plants look right with the Big trees..

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes, KW that is the half of the ginger flower. There are other small flowers that pop out of the little humps. Hummers love them. Laurie you would have to keep it in a pot or dig it up for the winter.

Ann I will work on the tree. hahaha

2 months ago

Yes Paula for sure. There are a slew of plants like your ginger that would be worth the effort.

Debra & Ann, oh gosh I use the Latin names so that you can easily highlight the name then right click and choose the option to search Google. That will bring up all the info. Some common names can bring up the wrong plant entirely.

2 months ago

Paula..some ideas..

I need more sun..

I hear chainsaws!..

Laurie..Latin names are accurate..

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 months ago

First 2 are same, few weeks apart, with Camellia April Kiss. Godzilla fern and hardy begonia. Fern.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 months ago

Christmas fern, azalea, and hydrangeas

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    2 months ago

Loving this thread!

Peren.all, I think you almost have all the possible perennial companion plants in your garden!

old_dirt, I know what you mean about having to remove some of the ostrich ferns. I have gotten to that stage too. But they are beautiful, especially in the spring.

Ostrich fern

European Wild Ginger. I have never had it seed itself and spread anywhere. Mine just gets bigger.

White Corydalis

Pulmonaria

I love heuchera!

Berry Smoothie. Finally got a beautiful color due to the fact that one of our trees rotted and fell. That meant my garden got a bit more sun. Unfortunately my neighbor's tree is growing rapidly (a sugar maple) and will reduce my morning sun a little bit more each year.

Peppermint. One of the heuchera in the mini series.

2 months ago

nhl I really like the Corydalis. Does it seed around for you?

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 months ago

Laurie, I am glad you use the scientific names for the plants! I am trying to learn them as I go along….just can’t pronounce them! 😆 If I was on my desktop, I could do the right click, but most often I am on my IPad…..no right click here, I don’t think.

Love the chainsaw caption….. thought “ walking tree” like in walking stick, which is an insect though.

Paula, that ginger plant is beautiful! I need to plant some things for the hummingbirds…. I planted one Poquito Yellow Agastache last year, maybe I will draw some this year. I should get a star for using the scientific name!! ⭐️

debra

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last month

Now blooming is very unusual so this year is a surprise

. I think it is still a companion as green leaves remain green.

• indianagardengirl
    last month

Today in my garden in east central Indiana. Joy is a good word for it.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    last month

Peren.all, regarding the corydalis---yes it does seed itself, but I find it very manageable. In my garden, it seeds right by the plant. So it is easy to see the little seedlings. I just remove a lot of them or even move them somewhere else. But I am not finding them all over my garden. Also very easy to pull them out if there are too many as they grow larger.

I find the plant looks very delicate, but is tougher than it looks!

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last month
    last modified: last month

Indianagirl, lovely hellebores , what is the name? I have about a dozen of seedling or named varieties and love them, so freaking slow but worth waiting...

Peren and KW PNW, love seeing Mukdenia in gardens! I grew some from seed but they were more green, still such dainty treasure.

Also lobelia Cardinals reseeding and Gentian send me drooling!!!!

DJ, I was wondering if you tried Lupins? They are natural to WI area, I have seen some in Green Bay area there were fields of them.

Love anemones! I brought some with me and can not wait for them to multiply again.

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last month

I am back to gardening and seeing so much beauty, loving this thread!

TJ, do you feel brunnera takes a lot of Sun with no problems? It seems like you have open and sunny area.

Same for Beth, that Luxuriant seems thriving, how much son exposure do you have? I struggled with it.

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last month

Nicholworth, I might have missed on it, how do you overwinter you EE?

last month

lindalana..they’re all growing in pots..the alocasias don’t go dormant..I put those pots in my kitchen in front of a French door and also in the family room in front of a window..the colocasias die back more but I always have a few leaves that hang on..those pots are in a spare bedroom..I rarely water the colocasias..overwintering them is a pain in the neck but I love it when I put them out in May and they start growing again..people do take them out of pots or dig them up if planted outside and store in boxes..that would take up a lot less room..some people store them in garages and basements..
    I’m lucky that my husband puts up with my plant addiction..😜

• indianagardengirl
    last month

Lindalana, its a seedling strain of hellebore called Painted Singles. I originally bought two unnamed plants at a local nursery, and was gifted the painted one. I have had them for years and they are slowly filling in under a silver maple. The first to bloom is always this red one, and others are just beginning.

• Ben D (zone 7b)
    last month

Photos from today.

Frankly, I somewhat regret planting these daffodils among my hosta. They look great now, but by the time the hosta are looking their best, the daffodil foliage is at its worst.

This particular bloodroot is not near my hosta -- I've learned the hard way not to mix hosta and vinca. But I am trying to get some bloodroot established in my hosta bed too.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Ben, do you cut back the daffodils to the ground to hide them? I cut back my dicentra secticablis to the ground when it finally was going dormant and then threw some mulch on top to hide it. I remember hearing with lilies to leave the stalk after blooming because it feeds the bulb….. would cut them back anyway! lol

debra

• Ben D (zone 7b)
    last month

Debra, no, I don't cut them back. I understand that's detrimental to them too.

We have a neighbor who used to neaten the foliage, double it over, then tie it into a bundle. I've taken to at least straightening it out and laying it all in the same direction after the flowers are spent.

• indianagardengirl
    last month

Hellebores really getting a head of steam now. This is one small part of my hellebore patch:

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Mine aren’t geared up yet…..sigh

debra

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    last month

indianagardengirl, your hellebores are loaded! I want to plant more this year. Right now mine are under snow, but we need the water so I'm not complaining!

debra, you don't want to be cutting down daffodil leaves. It's hard to place bulbs so that we don't mind seeing them die back, but that's how they'll get energy to come up next year. But it's nice when we can finally clear the dead leaves away.

last month

indianagardengirl..wow!..my hellebores aren’t as loaded as yours yet but they’re coming..they’re on the north side of the house in quite a bit of shade..

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last month

Camellias today, just a sample: April Kiss, Sadaharu Oh, Gay Baby, and Camille.

• indianagardengirl
    last month

Zone envy!!!!! Those are beautiful.

last month

utog..you have more than one Indiana girl with zone envy..me too!..

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last month

Aw, thanks. I envy your gardens!

• indianagardengirl
    last month

Hellebore seedling with a double bloom :-)

More seedlings