Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Advice on what to do with this tree extremely close to the fence

I believe this is an elm, probably around 70 ft tall and is very lanky. This is a shared tree between me and my neighbors but is on the other side of my fence into his yard and is very close to the fence. Do I absolutely need to remove this tree? I‘d really like to get away with not cutting it down, even though my neighbor said I can, because it gives me privacy from the house behind this pic. Question is if I leave it will it definitely grow into my fence one day?

I was also wondering if I can shave the bark a little bit with a chainsaw to keep it from growing closer to the fence. If a bark is removed to the point where the cambium layer or even deeper is exposed will that stop growth in the affected area? I won’t be cutting it too much to the point the tree will fall.

Comments (19)

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

If it's on the other side of the fence and in the neighbors yard... leave it alone. If it's in their yard, it's not really a shared tree- it's their tree. If it's actually in the middle of your property line, then it's a shared tree. Still, don't chainsaw on part of it, all that will do is cause a wound that may or may not heal well- may or might not get infected, infested, or go to rot.

• Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
    Original Author
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Property survey shows that this tree is right on the property line of mine and my neighbors, leaning slightly more on my side. The had to install the fence in front of it because of the tree, obviously. They are ok with me removing it so I assumed I can do whatever I want with it. But ok, I won’t shave the part but I’m still looking for input on how to deal with this situation. From what it sounds like, I guess its really not a concern regarding this tree potentially growing into the fence one day? If its 70 ft tall already what are the chances of this tree growing any more to the point it will hit the fence before it reaches the end of its lifespan?

• sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    2 months ago

They are ok with me removing it so I assumed I can do whatever I want with it.

I'd be very careful about making assumptions like that. Having professionals remove the tree is one thing, but if you decide to start hacking at it with a chainsaw on your own and potentially cause issues that will hasten the decline/demise of the tree, the neighbors will very much not be "ok" with potential damage to their property (e.g. from falling dead branches).

Keep in mind that arborists are insured for this sort of thing and you're not.

• kitasei2
    2 months ago

If it’s their fence, they aren’t bothered by thr tree, and you benefit from the screen it provides, why do anything at all?? Just relax. And get an ID. I have an elm from the Civil War that I spend significant money on to preserve. They are very desirable trees!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 months ago

"I guess its really not a concern regarding this tree potentially growing into the fence one day? If its 70 ft tall already what are the chances of this tree growing any more to the point it will hit the fence before it reaches the end of its lifespan."

Oh, it's a concern alright! Depending on a confirmation of the ID, elms can live for several hundred years and the trunk girth will continue to expand over that time period, perhaps getting as wide as 1-2 meters.

• kitasei2
    2 months ago

Yes. but it isn’t Heruga’s concern!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 months ago

I was under the impression it was Heruga’s fence. Is that not so? Why would he care otherwise about the tree growing into the fence?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    2 months ago

The question is how many decades is this going to take? Is Heruga going to still be living in this house?

• cecily 7A
    2 months ago

The fence will be replaced before then and they can leave a gap for the tree.

Original Author
    2 months ago

This is my fence that we spent 22k on 3 years ago. Do not want any damage on it. This tree though is not very healthy and is very thin and sparse. Growth habit is very lanky too if that makes any difference in the growth of the trunk. I do plan on living at this here forever which could be several couple decades. As far as the ID I posted the tree with foliage for ID last year and someone said elm. Not quite sure though, this tree already has bloom buds about to open up. It looks like tiny little balls

Here is the link to my past thread asking for the ID. I asked for ID on multiple plants but there are 2 pics of trees(same one) that is the tree in subject now. Jay said Ulmus https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6387431/need-id-on-bunch-of-plants

• cecily 7A
    2 months ago

In several decades the tree will reach the fence. In several decades the fence will need replacement. No action is needed at this time. Mature trees are valuable. It's February and you can't do much in the garden now so you're inventing problems.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    2 months ago

Heruga,

Just make sure your homeowners' insurance is paid up.

If you have to adjust the fence someday to make room for the tree, it's nbd. ;-)

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

You installed a fence that close to the tree on purpose, with it in the neighbors yard on purpose.... and now you want to go there and start messing with the tree? Sigh. Be in accord with your neighbor- you chose to give the tree into their stewardship. If they want it left alone, leave it alone. If they want it cut down, proceed with that. Get in a tree expert to weigh in on the trees health and opinion on if it should be removed at this time if you like. Share that information with the neighbor since the tree is in their yard.

Has the tree grown much in girth or been failing in health over the last three years?

Original Author
    2 months ago

I will take Cecily's advice and leave it for now. That's all I wanted to know, whether this is an urgent issue or not. I however am not creating problems just because its winter and theres nothing else to do. This tree has been in discussion between my neighbor and I for a while.

I guess you missed the part I said this tree is on the property line. So its either the fence stays within my property and giving away a portion of my property to my neighbor with the tree or put the fence behind the tree and take part of my neighbors property along with another neighbor's property if you keep going straight. You are basically telling me I should've kept the tree on my side of the fence and take some of my neighbor's(2) property? Common sense tells me that's alot worse to do. Oh and I did have an arborist come for a quote 2 weeks ago in fact. He slammed me with 1300 just for this one lanky tree. The same company 3 years ago only charged me 1800 for taking down 2 of my other trees both much bigger than this tree including stump grinding. I immediately rejected it. He did say it doesn't look like its in good shape though. But I've already made my decision to leave it alone but keep criticizing me if you want.

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

No one is telling you that you should have taken some of their property, or implied it. They likely would not have allowed you to build a fence on their property, and likely cared much less if you built one on yours even if it was close to a tree. Also, you could have built the fence on the line to accommodate the tree, or you could have worked with the neighbor to have the tree taken down before you built the fence.

But as it was, you chose to build a fence where you did. The tree is now in the neighbors yard. If it is a hazard or problem, work with them about it's removal. Or leave it be.

• sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    2 months ago

He slammed me with 1300 just for this one lanky tree. The same company 3 years ago only charged me 1800 for taking down 2 of my other trees both much bigger than this tree including stump grinding. I immediately rejected it.

$1300 is pretty average (even on the low side) for removal + stump grinding of a large tree in my parts. I had a mature Scots Pine taken out a few years ago (that required the use of a crane from my neighbor's property) for $1600 and a very large Norway Maple last year for $1250. There are a lot of variables at play that can drive up the price as well (including proximity to structures like the fence, or to neighboring properties, along with difficulties in gaining access for their equipment/vehicles).

There's no simple formula that equates tree size with the cost of removal. Most of the cost is is labor time anyway, and the more hand trimming, hauling and chipping they have to do (depending on the specific tree and the location/access), the more it's going to cost.

All that's to say that just because you're uncomfortable with paying a certain amount doesn't mean you're getting "ripped off."

• kitasei2
    2 months ago

Beesneeds, here in NY the fence would not automatically cede property on the other side to an adjacent owner. In fact many municipalities require a setback in order to maintain the fence.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    2 months ago

Elms grow fast, so it won't be all that long before it encounters the fence. Plus, if it's an American elm (hard to judge scale, but it looks like it could be from the photos) it's susceptible to Dutch elm disease which is still quite prevalent in many areas (like mine). If it were in my backyard, I'd cut it down before it gets any bigger.