Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Quick question: shoes or boots?

Sueb20
2 months ago

I posted about this dress several weeks ago. The wedding is next week, cold climate, not very formal (location is a farm). These are two options from my closet.

Dress on me. Oops, I meant not me.

Dress on me with boots.

And with shoes.

Should I wear darker stockings if I do boots? These are sheer black.

Or do I have to go shoe/boot shopping?

Comments (49)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 months ago

The shoes make your legs look longer, so I would choose those.

Sueb20 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Re Tired
    2 months ago

Short booties might be cute and practical, but I agree that the shoes make your legs appear longer than the knee-high booots.

Sueb20 thanked Re Tired
  • HU-163897337
    2 months ago

I think the shoes are a little dressier, which, IMO, works better with the sheer dress fabric.

Sueb20 thanked HU-163897337
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

Tough one. I agree that the weight of the boots seems to overwhelm the dress. Not sure about the shoes.

A few directions:

1. best for the dress, maybe a navy or emerald suede block heel pump

2. most flattering, always a nud-ish stocking and heel

3. best for weather and locale - warm boots

4. most au courant - booties

Maybe booties but on the dressier side. Is the dress black or navy?

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Jilly
    2 months ago

Of the two choices: shoes.

PS: The dress looks great on you and you have great legs.

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • rubyclaire
    2 months ago

I prefer the shoes if choosing from what you have. If you need more coverage/warmth, then I think a dressy bootie similar to what mtn posted would also work well.

Dress is cute on you!

Sueb20 thanked rubyclaire
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 months ago

Pretty dress and it looks very nice on you. Thinking shoes might be tricky for that venue. A bootie or one similar to what Mtn shows would work really well.

Sueb20 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 months ago

I agree the boots look a little heavy for the dress. If they were a sleeker more dressy style I'd vote yes for them.

Your shoes should work fine and are flattering - quite nice.

It's a wedding - you can tough it out for that length of time 😊 It's not like you'll be on the slopes exposed to weather for an afternoon.

The last 'venue' we went to that was similar was a ranch. I wore nude satin heels that perfectly matched my nude dress and felt very cute. What I hadn't considered was the walk from the parking (clear out by the paddocks and stables) to a nicely restored and furnished barn was gravel and killer on heels. Not walking on heels but on the heels themselves! (I wasn't pleased that the wind was blowing like a banshee in that valley that day)

Sueb20 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • maire_cate
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

That's a pretty dress and it looks great on you - I vote for the shoes. For some reason I find the boots distracting.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    2 months ago

It's supposed to be unseasonably warm in the midwest nesxt week. Not sure where you are going but that would make me vote for the shoes over the boots.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Ok, shoes win. My IRL fashion friend also voted shoes. I did order a couple of pairs of regular plain black pumps, too.

Mtn, the dress is black.

I have a pair of short black booties with a heel that I could try.

I’m not worried about the warmth of the shoes…wedding will be indoors and heated. I just mentioned cold climate so we’d all know naked legs are not happening.

Jilly! I adore you but you need to get your eyes checked!

• Bunny
    2 months ago

Shoes, with darker stockings.

Sueb20 thanked Bunny
  • nicole___
    2 months ago

If it were me.....black leggings and black ankle boots.

Sueb20 thanked nicole___
  • pricklypearcactus
    2 months ago

Between the shoes and the boots, I also prefer the look of the shoes. If you're looking for ankle bootie options, I purchased these to have an option for wearing with dresses in cooler weather.

LifeStride Women's Georgia Ankle Boot

$69 at The Big A*. They come in both black and navy.

Sueb20 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Kswl
    2 months ago

Bootees with dresses can, IMO, only be pulled off successfully by very tall thin people whose legs are so long they actually need to look shorter. The rest of us humans look like our legs were cut off at the ankles in some dreadful fashion punishment.

Of your two pics I think shoes are more flattering and would never recommend bootees with an above the knee dress for anybody. Very pretty dress, BTW!

Sueb20 thanked Kswl
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 months ago

The shoes look much better than the boots imo. I’m tall and even I would wear shoes or a sleek bootie rather than the boots with a buckle. Cute dress on you. I think the more sheer hose are more dressy and a better fit for the dress.

Sueb20 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Funkyart
    2 months ago

The dress is so cute ... and looks very comfortable! I like the shoes over boots or booties.

Speaking of shoes-- did you get the vintage havanas yet? Wondering how they fit/feel ...

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • lisaam
    2 months ago

The shoes look great with you in your dress. Agree that on an event farm the walk from the car to the venue is likely to be gravel. I also like the lower ankle grazing style of bootee with dresses,

Sueb20 thanked lisaam
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Funky, LOL, after all that? I got email from Macy’s saying they were delivered the other day at 2 pm. Nope. So that night I ”chatted” online with a rep who essentially said, oh sorry, we’ll refund you, try ordering again.

So I ordered a pair from Zappos. I’ll report back.

• Funkyart
    2 months ago

Oh bummer .. but please do let us know what you think!

Saks off Fifth has reduced prices on a lot of styles-- but the 2 I liked didnt come in my size. It might be worth checking out. Sizes were limited but they were between $60-$80

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

Cute dress!

I agree about shorter boots.

And this reminded me of picking up my son from playcamp after work many years ago, and having to walk across a grassy field in high heels to get him - not fun!

Therefore, on a farm, I don't think I'd want to wear spike-y heels...

P.S. I have a pair of black leather ankle boots with 2.5" heels that I've worn a number of times with a similar length and style dress. The heels are a bit thicker than those pictures above - more like this:

I like the stockings in the photo - that's what I usually wear - a darker sheer might look good too.

Sueb20 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

I think shoes are more flattering and would never recommend bootees with an above the knee dress for anybody.

I agree booties are not the most flattering, but that is not always the most important issue. if it were I would wear one outfit and one pair of shoes everywhere I go.

Note too, that it is specifically recc one wears booties with a dress that is above the knee, to elongate the leg. The shorter the better, which is partly why this tends to be a look for young women.

• Kswl
    2 months ago

Booties with short dress:

Awkward

Bootees with a longer dress

Better.

I don’t represent the majority opinion, lol!

• gsciencechick
    2 months ago

I also like booties with dresses and I am short. But honestly I’d probably try to avoid wearing a dress altogether and try to wear pants.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

This is absolutely 100% au courant.

If I wore this, I'd be institutionalized! That little horizontal band of flesh, to me, looks awful

• Kswl
    2 months ago

The reason this is so funny is that we are looking at the same pictures and have completely opposite opinions—- which I guess is the best reason in the world for people to just wear what they like, what they want and what they think looks best on them regardless of what anyone else thinks.

We went to a tribute band concert last night and the place was packed with fans, mostly over 50 but a decent number of younger people who have apparently discovered seventies and eighties music 😎 In our row of seats were people wearing jeans, casual dresses, workout wear, nultiple hoodies, church dressy and —no kidding— one couple in a tuxedo and she was wearing a long emerald green taffeta skirt with a white silk blouse, hair piled on top of her head and high heeled mules with a festher puffball on the toe box! Some looked great, some looked not so great, in style, out of style, but no one’s outfit was so bad or inappropriate that it made anybody faint, so it was all good.

Sueb20 thanked Kswl
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

I agree that there is far more latitude then there ever was, and that is a good thing!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Ks, be honest: it was you in the taffeta skirt, wasn’t it?

• chinacatpeekin
    2 months ago

Tbh when I saw the picture of the tie-dyed long dress and ankle boots, I thought “that looks like something I’d wear- and do!” Personally, I love flat Chelsea boots, socks and leggings and a longer cardigan with the right dress (not short with bare legs- I’m 73). I am sure many here will never believe it, but not infrequently I get stopped on the street and complemented by other women when I wear that kind of thing.

Sueb20 thanked chinacatpeekin
  • Kswl
    2 months ago

Lol, SueB! I wish it had been, she looked FABULOUS! I would have bought the entire outfit except the shoes, no idea how she keeps them on her feet. They were really, really cute though. Truth be told, it was cold and I was much more casually dressed than I normally am for anything in the evening; I'd had a busy day and didn't bother to change because...you know, good enough. DH looked great though so he did the heavy lifting for our couple image.

Sueb20 thanked Kswl
  • arcy_gw
    2 months ago

Shoes. Hands down. Chasing fashion fads when you are old enough to know better just looks weird. The boot thing with dresses looks dumb on everyone but we can look the other way for the too young to know better.

• rubyclaire
    2 months ago

I guess she told you :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

It’s Little Miss Sunshine!

• DLM2000-GW
    2 months ago

Thank heavens. I have been losing sleep over shoes-boots-booties, shoes-boots-booties. Now that the final word has been issued (and being of an age where I should have always known better) I will no longer chase that which is inappropriate. Amen.

• Jilly
    2 months ago

Chinacat, love your post. ❣️

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

Chasing fashion fads when you are old enough to know better just looks weird.

No, it looks like you area aware, open, flexible, engaged.

• eld6161
    2 months ago

Age appropriate? That can be a discussion in itself.

• Bunny
    2 months ago

Age appropriate? That can be a discussion in itself.

Indeed. Mine involves music.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I know no one can rest until the final decision is in, so just to report back after a final try-on... I am wearing short booties and lightweight tights. It is going to be around 40 degrees and raining tomorrow. I was surprised when I tried on the short boots (which were in my closet, and are comfortable but dressy) I didn't look ridiculous. My BFF, who is just a little taller than me and has a definite boho style, wears this combo all the time and no one jeers or laughs. I think I'll be fine! PS over 50 anyway so I'm invisible, right?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

Isn't it funny how a style we may have pooh-poohed in the past can look so much better as times and styles change?

• Kswl
    2 months ago

SueB, I can imagine no universe in which you are invisible 😉

Sueb20 thanked Kswl
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

You go, Sue. I think it suits your personality, too. I am sure you look great.

Another day when i am not sneaking over here while I need to do other things, I have a lot more to say on the broader topic.

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Funkyart
    2 months ago

I agree that the booties fit your personality --- i think that is so important in how we dress. In fact, I am in the process of purging the things that DO NOT fit my personality or style (even if they fit!)

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • Kswl
    2 months ago

To me that may be an oxymoron but to someone else it may be the difference between attending a wedding or staying home, so I say whatever gets you out the door 👍

• Funkyart
    2 months ago

LOL on formal crocs. When I had my oral surgery 2 years ago, i got the giggles when I was coming out of anesthesia ... one of the recovery nurses was wearing the sparkly silver crocs. As I became more alert (mouth filled with gauze) I just kept exclaiming that her crocs were "AWESOME". That gave my sister the giggles... the next day these arrived in the mail lol. I have not actually worn them but they are a fun reminder.

• hhireno
    2 months ago

I was in Famous Footwear recently. There were silver crocs on the clearance shelf. My only thought was ”If I ever need to play the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, those would be perfect.” Since I haven’t been cast, I left the shoes behind.

Sueb20 thanked hhireno
  • DLM2000-GW
    2 months ago

If you didn't overthink it - if none of us were prone to overthink things - what on earth would we talk about!? KIDDING! Glad you were comfortable and felt appropriately attired. The croc lady probably had a blast and for sure her feet didn't hurt.

Sueb20 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

Bet they were chilly, tho... 😃