Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foresthill_1906

Can you identify ..... ?

I inherited this rose from a neighbor who can't remember the name. She called it a "pleated rose". Here in the PNW. it bloomed during the month of June with no repeat. The picture shows touches of pink & yellow which are not present - the flower is pure white. Intense "baby powder" fragrance.

Thanks to all who can contribute to this mystery!

Comments (30)

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    last month

Could you please give us some more information to help us identify it? Is it a bush or a climber? Do you have pictures of the whole plant? Close-ups of leaves and thorns and perhaps buds?

• Forest Hill PNW8b
    Original Author
    last month

The plant is a small bush - perhaps 3 ft x 2 ft with small leaves & fuzzy stems; I don't recall much in the way of thorns. I won't have any more pictures for a month or so.

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

Just a guess, but could it be Snowbird, a lovely little hybrid tea with a bushy compact growth habit and old fashioned bloom form. Introduced in 1936. This rose seems to be grown mostly in California. I got my information from HMF, or Help Me Find Roses. I don't grow Snowbird, but I've always wanted to. Snowbird may repeat, though. I'm not sure. Diane

• Forest Hill PNW8b
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

No, not a hint of hybrid tea in bud form. The closest I've found to match the flower is Mme. Hardy, the OG Damask rose, but that is a much larger 5'x5' plant.

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

Snowbird is not a typical hybrid tea, and doesn't look a bit like one. Diane

• rosecanadian
    last month

Oh, that bloom is profoundly beautiful!!

• Forest Hill PNW8b
    Original Author
    last month

As the bud begins to open, Snowbird has a typical high-centered HT form, then flattens out as (I think) you are describing. My rose does not ever exhibit like that, opening flat from the beginning. It's like a cupped & quartered flower, without being quartered or cupped :-)

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    last month

Certainly not Snowbird. I grow Snowbird in my garden. I thought of Madame Hardy as well and though I don’t grow her, she doesn’t seem to me like a match. I know you don’t have blooms just now you can photograph, but we have some excellent rosarians on this forum who can probably identify your plant if you post close-up photos of the leaves and stems, etc.

• jacqueline9CA
    last month

Can you post pics of the entire bush (even though it is not blooming now), close up of the leaves, prickles, and any hips that might be on it? That will make ID'ing it much easier. Gorgeous bloom!

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    last month

Forest Hill - what is your climate zone where this is growing? It reminds me of 'Sombreuil', aka "Colonial White", but the petals look too long. Hard to tell from just one pic of one bloom. Sombreuil is a repeat bloomer here, but we are zone 9/10. Look at the pics of S on Help Me Find and see what you think. Here is a pic of my S:

Jackie

• jerijen
    last month

Snowbird can easily top 6 ft. in height!

• Forest Hill PNW8b
    Original Author
    last month

Here's a pic of the mystery rose. Someone asked what zone I was in - it is 8b.

• jacqueline9CA
    last month

Do you have any pics of the bush when it had leaves last year (blooming or not blooming)?

Jackie

• Forest Hill PNW8b
    Original Author
    last month

Sorry, jacqueline9ca, I don't have any other photos now.

• jacqueline9CA
    last month

OK - well, it is setting new growth now, so hopefully it won't be long until there will be some leaves for you to photograph.

BTW, how big is that pot it is in?

Jackie

• Forest Hill PNW8b
    Original Author
    last month

jacqueline9ca, the pot is 12" diameter.

• marascz9b
    last month

Could it be White Meidiland? Looks similar to one of the pictures from HMF:

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.165629

• jacqueline9CA
    last month

It certainly does! What do you think, Forest Hill?

Jackie

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last month

It does look like the open flower. Ingrid also grows this flower. I would like to see it's growth habit and it's leaves which are very large and glossy. I've always liked this rose a lot. I got itMenards. Addition to being a beautiful white it is also very hardy In my virtual zone 5. However, Mine is a repeat bloomer.

• Forest Hill PNW8b
    Original Author
    last month

White Meidiland is not a match, primarly because WM has no fragrance. Mine has a very strong fragrance, reminiscent of Peony Duchesse de Nemours, if any of you are familiar.

Additionally, White Meidiland has a petal arrangement where each layer is flat (on a horizontal plane) with the lowest layer of petals being the longest and each succeeding layer shorter. My rose has petals that are the same length in each layer and each petal is turned sideways, on edge (on a vertical plane). Look at my original photo, particularly the petals from 10 o'clock to 12 o'clock where this pattern is most obvious.

The leaves of my rose are very small, reminiscent of Jeanne LaJoie.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last month

Is your plant in sun or shade ? Often times my roses will bloom only once if in shade but multiple times when in sun. I will have to look at some of my other white roses That have smaller leaves Such as seafoam With it's iridescent leaves, And some of the hybrid masks. Such as Penelope And Catherine zemeck ZymetZip.However, if it is a true once bloomer I can't help you!

• jacqueline9CA
    last month

I also have some mystery roses (left over from my D's ancestors) I thought were once bloomers, until I moved them into the sun, and then voila! they became repeat bloomers. Also, if it were mine I might plant it in the ground and see what it does.

Jackie

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    last month

I would love a look at foliage and buds. My thoughts are running along the lines of some hybrid of the once-flowering roses, or perhaps a Bourbon, but nothing specific comes to mind. It certainly looks like a keeper! Does it sucker?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    last month

What kind of substance do the flower petals have? They look rather thin and tissue papery. If they are, then it is probably not a modern rose. So far, what I've seen whispers Damask, but like everyone else, I'd love to see leaves and buds.

• User
    last month

Reminds me of ’Out of Yesteryear’. it’s not especially good at repeating unless its got lots of root room, light and water. So I bet your rose would repeat once it’s freed from that small pot.

’Out of Yesteryear’ has an unusual fragrance that is soft, sweet amd vaguely ”peachy”.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    last month

The "pure white" also strikes me as odd: the only pure white roses I've ever seen are Rugosas. Most "white" roses have tints of honey or yellow or pink or buff...well, now that I think of it, R. moschata (which this is not) is milk white, as is its hybrid 'Dupontii'. Following mad_gallica, I'd like to know about the petal quality, not just whether it's thin, but whether waxy, like silk (crepe de chine), velvety.

Also, does this rose set hips, and if it does, what do they look like?

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    last month

Not knowing the exact way this rose came into your possession (Already in that pot? As a cutting? Cut back, dug up from your neighbour's garden and potted?, etc) is there any possibility this is really/ or would be/ a larger rose or climber that has been kept dwarf (intentionally or unintentionally) as a result of its small pot plus it appears to have been cut right back to the base of some of the canes?

• jacqueline9CA
    last month

I was wondering about the exact same thing, which is why I would put it in the ground ASAP in the sun ASAP if it were mine. Then I would wait about 3-4 months for it to get over any root damage or transplant shock, and then I would feed it.

Jackie