Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_mcleod

Help! With a yellow suggestion!

Janet Mcleod
last month
last modified: last month

Help! Anyone have a suggestion of a nice yellow color? It needs painting a d has faded quite a bit..the color now is a pale yellow that tends to look apricot in the sun..Id like a more bright yellow but not harsh. The roof is black All ideas would be greatly appreciated. Theres a large palm tree in the yard so something that goes with a lot of flowers etc

Comments (15)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last month

There is an old house nearby that is painted what I would call "buckskin" - the sort of a rich yellow tan of a buckskin horse. It looks great - the roof isn't black, but I can see black working.

Janet Mcleod thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • ginatay124
    last month

Benjamin Moore York Harbor Yellow and trim Ultra Pure White:

Janet Mcleod thanked ginatay124
  • ginatay124
    last month

Sherwin Williams SW6695 Midday:

• ginatay124
    last month

If you do a Houzz search on “yellow exterior” photos, you will find ideas. If you see a photo you like, click on “more information, and sometimes the paint color will be listed in description or in answered questions at the bottom of the page.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Sweet butter

Lemon meringue

The only way to know? Test on the house: )

Janet Mcleod thanked JAN MOYER
  • Maureen
    last month
    last modified: last month

Be sure to consider the all important undertone and test the narrowed down colors. Also suggest painting the door and shutters. FYI: BM consultants are very knowledgeable and their paint is excellent - worth the price. Think big picture and how you want the house to feel and with a softer shade, the garage door can be the same color and it will blend/not stand.

Janet Mcleod thanked Maureen
  • hbeing
    last month

pick a yellow that is much, much subtler than you anticipate.

Janet Mcleod thanked hbeing
  • btydrvn
    last month

Whatever color you pick I would paint the whole house the same color..the contrasting trim is unnecessary and distracts/ competes with the landscaping

Janet Mcleod thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    last month

This would be a good time to remove the shutters..as well…since they are not appropriate on this home..there are enough nice architectural details to make your home interesting without accentuating them with a contrasting color…i also think you could expand your walkway more creatively with more random shaped stones and a slightly wider…more free form layout..

Janet Mcleod thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last month

I would go with Grecian Ivory SW

• elcieg
    last month

OP is thanking us for our comments, so she has not left the building...pondering our suggestions?

• elcieg
    last month

Celery, several years ago my daughter painted her entire cottage in Grecian Ivory. She has changed her furniture and accessories here and there and that wall color is still on the walls. One of the best, flexible colors I have come across in my (many, yikes) years of decorating. Her trim is Divine Icing, which is no longer available in our neck of the woods.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

I love Devine Icing. The Devine line was bought out by Valspar and then Valspar was bought out by Sherwin Williams. I still get the color through my local BM store. They have the formula in their computer. Crazy thing - I asked SW how I could get it matched and they didn't have a formula or wouldn't share a formula, but Benjamin Moore could reproduce it. I had a painted sample of Icing and this was an almost exact match. BM calls it Devine Color Icing. They have almost all the Devine colors in their system.

• ptreckel
    last month

Look at BM’s Hawthorne Yellow. Lovely, soft. Clear