Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacquelyn_marie8493

Worth expanding front porch by 3'x5' (uncovered) for furniture area?

Jacquelyn Marie
last month

We need to re-build our deteriorating wood front porch. I have been debating whether it would be worth it to extend the left side of it by 3' to add a small sitting area with 2 chairs or a bench. We live in a nice, walkable, urban neighborhood and I am jealous of my neighbors who have porches large enough to enjoy sitting on them on nice days. This is the largest I can extend the width of the porch without colliding with the bay window. We do not have any existing shrubs where the expanded porch would go - it is dead, unsuable space in the front yard.

The current porch is 7' wide and 5' deep. I am proposing to extend it 3' to the left, resulting in a new front porch size of 10' wide and 5' deep. This left-side extension would not be covered by the roof. We had a new copper roof built over the front porch a few years ago and it would be costly to re-do that part again. My proposal is to re-build the larger front porch in mahogany wood to 1) match the front porch ceiling re-built in mahogany when the cooper roof was installed and 2) minimize future upkeep (clear sealing only needed every year or so and no staining required to achieve nice dark color).

This is a historic home in the Boston area and unfortunately to make this minor enlargement to our front porch, I need to get stamped plot plans and structural plans.

Has anyone expanded their front porch and can tell me if it is worth the hassle? Is a 3' x 5' expansion too small to be worth it even though theoretically, it could hold a 2-person bench? Is making a front porch asymmetrical a bad idea from an appearance standpoint? (though at least the porch roof would still be symmetrical around the front door)

Comments (14)

• housegal200
    last month

Wonderful house!

Since you need to get plans from a pro, maybe they can tell you if your idea is doable or attractive. I love the idea of any front porch, something many of us got hooked on during the pandemic when it was so nice to wave to neighbors. I don't think you could fit more than one chair, though on the left, and perhaps a built-in bench on the right. Or face-to-face benches.

If your porch plan is impractical, then invest in a front patio/seating area within your picket fence. Not the same thing, but it could be an enjoyable space.

Curb Appeal Ideas · More Info

• Anna Andrechenko
    last month

I have not encountered this, but I think it is worth trying to expand. And then you can make a resting place, put a bench, a pergola or even a small sofa.

My work acquaintance ordered a table with sofas for relaxation, so they relax there every evening and gather with friends (but they usually have a little more space)

• JT7abcz
    last month

If you're going to be rebuilding the porch anyway, why not extend it even further and include the bay window? You'll have an elevated view when seated and the front yard is so shallow, it will add living space. Remove the fence at the curb and add railing the length of the porch.

• susan49417
    last month

I'm not sure that your proposed idea will gain much usable space and is also not the most attractive option. I think housegal200 had a great idea to create a small patio area in the front fenced area. Beautiful bushes along the fence could help to create some privacy but still allow you to interact with people as they pass by.

• housegal200
    last month

@JT7abcz: Beautiful idea, but OP said they can't afford to extend the new porch roof so was looking to do something smaller.

• JT7abcz
    last month

I agree it isn't ideal to have space without a roof covering but that is already the case for a seating area at garden level or if the porch is extended by only 3 x 5. The photo posted isn't a perfect match but it shows how a porch can include both covered and uncovered sections.

• Jacquelyn Marie
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you for all of the comments. I am thinking hard about this. Unfortunately, the front yard isn't large enough for a garden seating area. We have to keep the white picket fence in the front otherwise I fear dogs will poop in our yard - we need some boundary between the sidewalk and our property.

• kandrewspa
    last month

Sorry, I just don't think it looks right without the roof over it. I love it the way it is. But this is just one person's opinion . . .

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

I do not think that small increase in size would be much help maybe on chair and part of that incovered makes no sesne to me

• millworkman
    last month

Without the decorative roof it definitely looks contrived. I would leave it as is personally. If you wan t a place to sit a small paver patio with the chairs int he garden area would be nice

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

IMO the bay window is poorly proportioned. I'd fix that.

• RedRyder
    last month

I wouldn’t do it. You have an old house in an old city, but your idea look forced - and unbalanced. Sorry. I understand wanting a decent seating arrangement to watch the people go by.

• P.D. Schlitz
    last month

What about this? Pretend you’re on the landing facing your front door, and, turning left to face the bay window, you can now go down a few steps to a new deck that runs the length of the house? If you built the edge of this deck several feet back from the current picket/ sidewalk, you could remove the picket fence and plant bushes (hydrangeas or similar, maybe an ornamental tree or two) to mask the deck’s skirting/ elevation. Then, instead of the picket fence you currently have around the perimeter of your yard, you’d have a picket-style railing (like current deck railing) around this new elevated deck platform.