Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittanysnydermallory

Small bathroom dilemma!

I’m renovating a small beach condo originally built in the 1960s and hitting some roadblocks with the bathroom design.

Attached are photos of the layout as planned and the original pre demo bathroom.

The toilet is extremely close to the vanity - the original vanity had to curve in to the wall to allow space to access cabinet and toilet.

I expanded the wall into the bedroom by 18 inches or so with plans to move the toilet over to allow for a full size vanity - then learned it’s not possible to move toilet plumbing to code in the building. 🙃

I have purchased a 30x60 jacuzzi alcove tub/shower combo - (not the jet kind)

There will be extra room at end of tub from expanding the wall out - will add a tile step shelf, a towel rack and floating shelves

I will have a glass door for the tub and trying to figure out how to eliminate a gap between the bath tub and vanity - I truly hate those gaps especially in such a small space where there isn’t room to waste. I’ve seen examples of half walls between showers and vanities to bridge the gap but my contractor says they don’t do this with tubs. Also struggling to find a vanity design that extends to the wall at different depths due to the toilet in the way.

Also I have an awkward empty space between the toilet and wall now as I can’t move the toilet - it might be room for a floor to ceiling 18” cabinet but not sure if it will look too busy.

I got the attached ideas from a bathroom designer but one is too little storage and the other is too boxy looking .

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (21)

• brittanysnydermallory
    Original Author
    last month

This is the other idea

• mmc429
    last month

Don’t think you could use doors on the bottom in the corner near the toilet and access anything much in them. Maybe you keep those shelves open and store toilet paper, etc and other extra smaller items in glass containers with lids so dust doesn’t get in.

• Kendrah
    last month

Do you have a drawing of the space with measurement of the fixed items and walls?

There are other codes that go in to designing a bathroom, such as amount of space on either side of toilet.

• jackowskib
    last month

Have you considered using a floating vanity or wall mounted toilet to have more openness in the space?

• brittanysnydermallory
    Original Author
    last month

Here is a very rough drawing of the space. Thank you for your help!

• brittanysnydermallory
    Original Author
    last month

Slightly better drawing

• brittanysnydermallory
    Original Author
    last month

Regarding the floating toilet - that would be great but it’s not allowed per the building code unfortunately!

I do like the look of floating vanity however not sure if I can lose the extra storage space.

Thank you!

• claire larece
    last month

Why didn’t you find out whether you can reconfigure the bathroom before expanding it? Now you have space that cannot be utilize unless you can make it a storage for linen. How much space between tub and wall do you have anyway.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

You lose nothing for staorage with a wall hung vanity I use Godmorgon from Ikea all the time for the great storage and I put a cleat on the back wall just for good measure . I ahve never heard of wall hung tolilets not to code so where are you? I think I must be missing something since you say the toilet drain is 40" away from the wall where the tpoilet goes ????As for the space bewtween the wall and the tub I need to know how big it is but maye be just a nice glass wall

• ci_lantro
    last month
    last modified: last month

then learned it’s not possible to move toilet plumbing to code in the building. 🙃

Was using an offset toilet flange discussed? Using an offset flange, you can shift the toilet 2-3"...maybe not enough, though.

I highly doubt that a wall hung toilet is do-able as a retrofit in a condo. The waste line has to be buried in a wall. If you can't move the toilet, then I doubt that you can move the toilet drain line. (An offset flange uses the existing waste location.)

• brittanysnydermallory
    Original Author
    last month

You’re correct - can’t do wall toilet. Sadly cannot do offset flange because the pipe is copper and plumber said they would have to go in from downstairs unit to access and retrofit pvc.

• brittanysnydermallory
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Here is the updated drawing- not sure if the vanity by toilet makes it look too crowded

• la_la Girl
    28 days ago

Is this a master bath or guest bath, or only bath for the unit?

• brittanysnydermallory
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Those are beautiful but concerned about limited storage - it is a master bathroom.

• la_la Girl
    28 days ago

So not enough storage with a full height closet?

• Olychick
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

There are so many drawings posted, can’t really tell what the actual configuration is. in one the tub gors all the way to the wall with the doorway; in another there is a space at the end of the tub. If you dont think a full wall cabinet, with doors facing the toilet would give you enough storage, you could have agenerously sized over sink cabinet. If there is space at the foot of the tub, you could have deep drawers built, or another cabinet with pull out shelves.. you could have a shallow cabinet built over the toilet. I hust think a regular vanity there will be a problem. If there is space at end of tub:

• amystoller
    28 days ago

"Those are beautiful but concerned about limited storage - it is a master bathroom."

In the end you may be right, and there won't be enough storage if you forgo the vanity. But while you're still mulling over ideas, a few alternative storage solutions may be worth considering:

• Recessed "medicine chest" with mirror.
    • Recessed storage between wall studs elsewhere in the bath.
    • Store seldom-used products and "extras" in a closet. You'll probably want at least one spare toilet roll in the bathroom, but that may fit in recessed storage, or in a basket or other unfixed storage container.

I use all three of these storage ideas in my primary, en suite bathroom, which has a sink similar to the one Olychick shows, and have discovered that I now have more storage space than I need! This will be more challenging for a couple than a singleton, but if you're both on board with eliminating excess, it might work for you, too.

I hope this helps.

• Olychick
    28 days ago

I couldn't seem to edit my last post. I had more time to poke around for ideas. First, these are just to show the large amount of storage you could get over the sink, if you chose.

This is a little extreme, but this style would hold a lot:

This was to show a custom cabinet set up that could be made as shallow as needed but still has some storage below.

I can't tell from your drawings, but would orienting the vanity this way work? It doesn't make it any farther from the toilet, but the opening is facing in a direction that would be easier to access. Lots of storage above. Looks like two mirrored medicine cabinets with a wood door cabinet between.

This gives you a normal size sink in a very shallow vanity:

• brittanysnydermallory
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Thank you! These are great ideas, I will talk to my cabinet person about them.