Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
searcher35

Which part of Taj slab to choose?

Linda Freeman
last month
last modified: last month

We’re doing a kitchen remodel and would like the kitchen island to be a focus of our kitchen. We’ve selected monochromatic creamy white perimeter countertops and Taj Mahal quartzite for the kitchen island. We have the choice of selecting the top left quarter of the slab, top right quarter, bottom left quarter, or bottom right of the Taj Mahal slab (pictured) for the island countertop. The cabinets are rift cut white oak with a natural stain. Which section of the Taj slab would you suggest we choose?

Comments (20)

• btydrvn
    last month

I think the top left has the most personality..without vast sections of one color..

Linda Freeman thanked btydrvn
  • Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    last month

@btydrvn Thanks for your input. It helps! What do you think of thejagged thread of cream color that goes diagonally down through that area? Does it make it more interesting or would a curved flow be better?

• HU-910663146
    last month

Top left

Linda Freeman thanked HU-910663146
  • course411
    last month

Top left

Linda Freeman thanked course411
  • Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    last month

@course411 Thanks! Would you explain why you selected that section?

• M Miller
    last month

Top left. As already said, it's the most interesting while at the same time being cohesive all on its own. It will look better in isolation (i.e. just the island), than the other quadrants. I.e. the bottom left has disjointed tones which will be emphasized when cut away from the rest of the slab. Top right has bland tones. Bottom right has disjointed tones.

Linda Freeman thanked M Miller
  • btydrvn
    last month

Simply said ..a more even balance of color is better than… just one odd streak on a sort of boring background

Linda Freeman thanked btydrvn
  • HU-910663146
    last month

A suggestion: print the slab out on a piece of paper. Cut the paper into 4 sections. Look at the 4 sections when they are separated from one another or independently from one another.

• chispa
    last month

Choose the section that has the least amount of "cracks" and filler. You hardly notice them when the slab is dirty and vertical.

This is in the middle of my island. It blends in well, but you might as well pick the section with the least filler.

Linda Freeman thanked chispa
  • Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    last month

@btydrvn @HU-910663146 Thanks for elaborating. Your feedback’s really helpful.

• Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    last month

@M Miller Thanks — good suggestion about the quadrants.

• Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    last month

@HU-910663146 Out of curiosity, is the V-shape you referenced your personal preference? I thought a V-shape was nice, as it added balance.

• Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    last month

@chispa Thanks for suggesting that. Our fabricator and KD have both seen the slab, and never pointed out fillers or cracks. I viewed it up close, and didn’t see any, but I trust their opinion more than mine!

• HU-910663146
    last month

Linda, honestly, the more I look at your slab, the more I can understand your viewpoint. It is going to look great no matter which section you pick.

• Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    last month

@HU-910663146 I’m so relieved that you wrote that last comment, as when I looked at the quadrants, the top right felt more calming to me than the top left.

• HU-910663146
    last month

Go with your instincts. It will be lovely.

• Barrheadlass
    last month

I am curious…what are you using for your perimeter counters?

• Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    last month

@Barrheadlass Polished Milky White by Vicostone.

• dan1888
    last month

What's happening to the rest of the slab? And what size is the piece for your island?