Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
222muchcoffee

Need some design advice for ART and misc

Coffee Dude
last month
last modified: last month

Making progress slowly between guests checking in. We worked on the living room and dining room. This is for our short term rental property in San Antonio, TX. I tried finding some art that was theme-like, but the good stuff was too pricey and don't want to look cheesy (as we do now - in a few places). This is boho-mcm combo which I posted two months ago. I moved the dining table over temporarily so it may look odd - there is a bench seat that backs to wall on the right. I replaced the c. fan with the new light fixture in the dining room. That is the wall I am really struggling with. Oh we did add a rug but it is rolled up. It has some color in beige, blues, greens and reds but they are muted. Yes, Jilly and Beth had some nice recommendations last time - never really found big prints without spending a lot ($1000+). Another question - the dining nook where the silver mirror is - considering removing the mirror and painting it the same accent color as the right wall (Acacia Haze - SW). Opinion? Oh - I have added some bigger plants - hard to see - yes, real. Figleaf fiddle and another. Finally - the ombre wall - I was thinking it doesn't need art, but we were planning to put a corner shelf on the left side near the window with a draping plant and perhaps some books stacked. Any recomendations for the ombre wall and art for the dining room wall (it is in SW acaica haze. I tried doing that in ombre but will be painting it solid today. I know the pendant light is casting some weird shadows. Will try to get a better pic posted later.

Comments (26)

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    last month

• tracefloyd
    last month

I think you have a fine rental, It looks nice. A perfect rental. But what you are doing now is having fun fine-tuning. The place really doesn't need anything, really.

I agree the Dining Room mirror is out of scale. And change the entry chandelier bulbs to frosted ones.

Check out greatbigcanvas.com Their canvas prints are fun. They are recommended here on Houzz and we have some of theirs. You can get some larger unframed ones that would be reasonable. It's a fun site...search by color or subject.

Coffee Dude thanked tracefloyd
  • PRO
    Poovi Art
    last month

Add a large canvas artwork big enough to cover a significant portion of the wall, making it ideal for creating an impressive statement piece. Introduce some personality to your home with this stunning abstract painting that is sure to captivate anyone who enters the room. Transform your living space today!

Strength Your Aura · More Info

Wall decor for your Home · More Info

https://www.pooviart.com/shop/art-on-canvas.html

Coffee Dude thanked Poovi Art
  • Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    last month

tracefloyd - Are you referring to the canned lighting - where the entry is? The round mirror is the entry hall. The boho pendant light over the dining table casts some odd shadows, but I don't mind them. Not so great for photography though. I will definitely check out the website. You make a good observation that - I am trying to fine tune this to make it stand out in peoples mind vs. just another bnb with big box fixtures. Many thanks for your time and suggestions!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

Go to Art.com they have many pieces in different sizes I would not spend a huge ammount of money on art for strangers who you really do not know at all.

Coffee Dude thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • la_la Girl
    last month

A friend just had an "Air BnB decorator" come to town fine-tune their rental (didn't even know that was a job) - but one of the things she did was create vignettes that encouraged people to post on Insta -

for one, she painted the name of town where the rental was located in big fun letters - it was bright and fun and def custom (but not $$). Something to think about for that long entry wall - especially since you're in TX I feel like you could have some fun with this - people are often on vacation, so I think leaning fun/upbeat can work well

Coffee Dude thanked la_la Girl
  • tracefloyd
    last month

Cool. The round mirror looks fine. It's the rectangular one that bugs me. I would center the macrame plant hanger on the soffet and center the mirror under the soffet at the height to reflect the hanger.

The 3 tier chandelier shadows on the gray wall was the one that needs frosted bulbs.

I see what you mean now about wanting a statement.

Depending on your target guest, you could frame travel posters of your State or photos of local sites for vacationers. Pop art is fun and of the period for your MCM. theme and decor. The visual impact might distract from a cheaper installation lol. For families, photos of cute animals like horses or dogs.I just noticed your Zen artwork in gold and black and white...great idea.

I'm not sure you need much artwork or even large artwork. A few smaller pieces placed properly can be as effective if done right.

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    last month

I ve been looking at the art website you shared and loved it! The silver mirror will be going. The bulbs would be chandelier size and I will look into it. Why are the bulbs a concern? is it the lines?

No cutesy animals - I do have some items already hearted. I seem to get a mix of people, but my repeat people seem to be in their late 40s and early 50's. At spring break, I get families from Mexico. I get a few biz travelers - here for convention or maybe a concert. We are pretty reasonable compared to a hotel. Probably $150 to $225 per night. Mid-level quality, but still cheap compared to other cities. We have a lot of competition in San Antonio; hence, trying to be different.

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    last month

Furniture pushed back in place. Still want to get art for that wall.

I ve already ditched the gold coffee table - see the hardwood guitar pic coffee table next.

Not sure where to start, but I am going to change the pendant light on the left and remove the green piece over the bed. I may soften the curtains since I added that somewhat busy rug. The master is my next project.

• tracefloyd
    last month

We just need something Instagrammable...of course!

I like the beige bedroom. And beige is trending. I would remove the faux flowers and pink bedding and call it a day. The room is very soothing and I love the trendy lit art.

As far as your lightbulb question....the light fixture is projecting harsh, dark shadows and bright circles of itself on the walls and ceiling and the skews the perception and just looks stark. As a rule, no light fixture should cast harsh light or stark shadows. Same goes for the living room See the shadow of the arc lamp...the can lights need to be frosted as well, and on a dimmer.

Most of your lighting is down ilghting...you need more table lamps, reading lamps and task lights.

• freedomplace1
    last month

A gallery wall could be nice. Doesn‘t have to be a ton of pictures on it - but it could be.

I love the guitar pic table, and maybe you could add some guitar type art, etc. I mostly never recommend specific art to people, because i believe that art is such a personal thing. But, since you are looking for art for your bnb rental, it is not personal per se; and so i’m just throwing out a few ideas.

https://www.shelterness.com/dining-room-gallery-wall-ideas/

Coffee Dude thanked freedomplace1
  • Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    last month

I don't think I want that - it seems busy to me - I don't think i could pull off the vibe i want.

• freedomplace1
    last month

There’s also metal art, textile and macrame art.

Coffee Dude thanked freedomplace1
  • freedomplace1
    last month

It‘s a bnb . You don’t have to hang an original Rembrandt. :)

I am seeing Origami in your space. You could just get a picture or take a picture of a piece of Origami and enlarge it. Or some depiction of Origami in canvas art form, etc.

• Jilly
    last month

Coffee Dude, I’m so sorry … I went back to your last thread (January) and saw that I’d never answered your question asking where I find art!

For online, I look on Etsy, Ebay, and artists’ own websites. I can usually find very reasonably priced and unique art that way.

It can be overwhelming looking through such vast numbers of items, so I try to narrow down my searches. For example, I wanted a quail watercolor for my guest room, so looked that up and found an artist I like. I purchased a print directly from her, and the price was very good.

https://www.traceycapone.com/products/quail-illustration-colorful-wall-art

An artist on Etsy I really like is DANGERDUST. I have this print, also in my guest room (I have a mix of vintage western, MCM, Jamaican art, etc in there). I find their art so soothing:

I know you like MCM/boho/modern — check places like West Elm, CB2, Anthropologie, World Market, etc, too.

You know I’m always trying to get you to mix some western flavor in with your modern. :)

I mentioned our fav antique mall before … there are so many booths with fun and unique mid-century western art and decor.

You’re in such an awesome city to find local art and artists … I’d be at Historic Market Square every weekend. :D

Other places we find art — museums, botanic garden gift shops, art fairs, various festivals, local boutiques, horse show exhibit halls, and on and on.

We got this June Jurcak print from the Fort Worth Botanic/Japanese Garden gift shop:

Anyway, just some ideas. And you can certainly mix in other things besides framed prints and such … woven wall baskets, for instance:

(ETA: sorry, Freedom, didn’t see your post saying that before I posted!)

As a sidenote, your rental rates are very reasonable! I said it a while back on one of your threads — my DH and I might be contacting you one of these days! He’s from Long Island and wants a tour of Texas. He loves Fredericksburg and Austin, but we didn’t get down to SA that trip.

PS: If you’re interested in any of the art I posted on your other thread, I’ll try to find it.

• Jilly
    last month

I searched ’mid century western’ and ’boho western’ and this came up, on Big A of all places:

This is on Etsy:

I looked up ’San Antonio boho art’ and this super cool 1968 poster came up on Ebay:

Not suggesting these specifically, just the general idea.

Happy hunting! I love looking for art. :)

Coffee Dude thanked Jilly
  • la_la Girl
    last month

^^ ooohhh love that @Jilly !

Coffee Dude thanked la_la Girl
  • Jilly
    last month

I do, too, la la! I might get one of those posters myself. :D

They come on canvas, too, and various other mediums.

Coffee Dude thanked Jilly
  • Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    last month

it is in my MCM house next door to my house! Do they care if I share a link here?

stayawhileintexas.com (it is dream'n on dreamland). You might see that hemisphere art on the wall

• Jilly
    last month

That is so cool, Coffee Dude!

Thanks for sharing the link, I’m enjoying looking through your rentals. The pictures are really good — they show all the details and amenities so well.

Oh, and love the pink tile!

ETA: The exterior colors on Butterfly Cottage look great … I remember your thread about it. :)

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    last month

I worked hard finding the right contractor who could save the pink tile. I am glad you liked it! Most of the contractors just wanted to rip out that tile so they bid a huge price. I am going to try to get new photos in a month.

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    22 days ago

I appreciate the wonderful suggestions for art. I've really been looking hard on big canva site. I m not liking my rug under dining room table. Also here's the branch over master.

• Coffee Dude
    Original Author
    22 days ago

@Jilly - special thanks!

• Jilly
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

My pleasure — I always enjoy seeing your projects. :)

That branch looks very cool! I like the organic aspect.

We used to stay at The Twig in Fredericksburg (sadly Double Deer Ranch sold and the cottages are no longer available) … I loved the twig chandelier:

Your rentals are so charming, I know your guests will always be happy and comfortable!

• ilikefriday
    22 days ago

The branch light is a fabulous piece of art!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!