Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darren_clay43

Kitchen layout advice

Darren Clay
last month

I’m a doing a kitchen remodel and would love some feedback on my kitchen layout. All input is welcome thanks!!!!

Comments (12)

• herbflavor
    last month
    last modified: last month

best to show the entire first floor of the home..... where is the deck or patio..where is entrance from automobile/ driveway..etc. I think a U shape kitchen w a peninsula including seating would be better just offhand. that would allow the living space all along the front instead of crammed down by the front entry. You need a more compact kitchen footprint so you can use that space to the left of the island for a more extended and comfortable living zone....nothing shown there now. Scrap the island...reconfigure w a peninsula. A U shape kitchen can succeed with at least 5 feet across the U....you can get that easily. but I cant decipher your measurements

U shape kitchen w peninsula seating

Green Vibe Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    Darren Clay
    Original Author
    last month

Here is a more zoomed version and I would really like to keep the island so there is more flow through the kitchen. And the couch that is shown is quite large. I could consider a peninsula but I would rather not. Thanks!

• PRO
    Darren Clay
    Original Author
    last month

Here’s the zoomed photo

• herbflavor
    last month

I would never create a large sprawling kitchen . along w oversized island and yet leave unused space like that on the left upper corner. Have you thought of that?

• PRO
    Darren Clay
    Original Author
    last month

I agree that the space is not utilized. I was thinking of putting a bar area on that left wall. I’m just trying to understand the peninsula concept with utilizing the open left space?

• herbflavor
    last month

Cannot decipher the neasurements. once your numbers can be read the U shape can be figured out … it can have the middle of the U on top or long wall about where stove /hood is i think…or middle of U on right wall where i think the small window is. but i cannot read your details to figure it in the optimal way.

• Allison0704
    last month

I would not do a U-shaped kitchen. It is too confining. The space to the left can be used by adding a pair of chairs or a desk area. Need more storage? A freestanding piece to hold extra dishes, seldom used things or store bulk purchased items.

• Jenny
    last month

Sorry - tangent - Is there a reason for the bedroom hall to continue around the corner? I'm wondering if the bedroom hall could end at the top left corner of the bathroom and you could gain all of that wasted hallway space into the dining room.

• Allison0704
    last month

Jenny, I didn't even look at the bedrooms. Could be an issue getting things (dressers, mattress/box) into bedrooms.

• dan1888
    last month

The zoomed portion is readable. Post more including the rest of the floor. Unless the pocket door to the hall is self-closing to help hide the batroom, it's not a good use of space. I'd use a self-closing pocket door on the bathroom instead and add the hall space to the main room.

• AnnKH
    last month

What does the kitchen look like now? What don't you like about it? What are your goals for the remodel?

For example, when I remodeled the kitchen in our previous home, the goals were" more storage, more functional storage, especially near the range, improved prep space, get things off the counters. I achieved this in a U-shaped kitchen without drastic changes to the footprint, though I did move both fridge and range a foot away from the sink.

• PRO
    Darren Clay
    Original Author
    last month

I can’t do anything with the pocket door wall because it is housing a new post that will be carrying the load of a new massive flush beam that runs from the end of the pocket door wall all the way to the exterior wall that the range is on.