Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monika_lenz78

Things need a change - cabinets, counters,wall color

M. L.
last month

Things didn't quite come together as planned.. we need to make a change somewhere, it just feels off... Counter or cabinet ? Also a new wall color maybe (the windows installed are light tan/beige (We love our floors- that can not change :) Fyi )

Comments (17)

• jackowskib
    last month

Well that is a pretty floor! In the bathroom, I would paint the vanity a color that better compliments with the floor, perhaps a color from the bedroom to carry over.

In the kitchen, consider the upper cabinets changed to have glass to lighten the load. A colored shade at the window that can be complimented with a couple bar stools and short runner rug at the sink. Something that will tie in with living room as well. Good luck!

• Lorraine Leroux
    last month

Bathroom-change to two mirrors and paint the vanity. The kitchen I would consider painting the cabinets if they are in good shape. Maybe just the bottoms? In the living room-paint the wall the fireplace is on. White does not do it justice. If you are just moving in live with it all awhile with furniture in it and think about every room you want done. Go slow.

• arcy_gw
    last month
    last modified: last month

NO NO NO do not paint cabinetry!! That just devalues over all. Bathroom needs a different mirror to fit the esthetic that's popular. It appears you could use some towel bars so I would suggest glass doors on the shower. Is that a cat litter beside the shower--just NO.

• Allison0704
    last month

Bathroom - new counter with only one undermount sink. 8" faucet (sink on the right side). Sink does not need to be centered. Framed mirror. Not fond of the towel ring locations. You could just fold a hand towel on counter. (Currently: DH's hangs, mine does not.) I would probably paint the walls and get a pretty rug. It looks like your tile has some brown tones in it, so cabinets are okay for now.

Kitchen, add window treatment and a runner (both with color) along that wall. Pair of comfortable counter stools with color. In at least one countertop corner, add some pottery pieces (again, color).

I would not go crazy until after you have lived there awhile. Once you add furniture, art and accessories the things that bother you know either won't bother you at all or not as much. Then you can make any decisions slowly.

• susan49417
    last month

OMG....everything is brown, white or black. You need some color!.First, in the bathroom, it looks like you have brass cabinet pulls. I would replace the light fixtures, faucets and towel rings in brushed brash finish to coordinate and brighten the space. Replace the mirro with something that doesn't scream thrift store. Lower the towel rings as they appear to be abnormally high on the walls. I would not have done 2 sinks....your vanity is not long enough. Also, consider adding glass to shower area and I'm not sure what is sitting on the floor next to the shower but get rid of it.

For your kitchen I would add a colorful runner. I can't tell what finish your cabinet pulls are but you could look at changing those to something brighter. Also, I think your lighting fixtures are not flattering. Those glass globes always end up looking dusty/grimy in a kitchen. Something in brushed gold would be pretty and brighten up the space.

As for your fireplace area, this will be your opportunity to bring in a fun rug, art on the walls, etc to add color and texture.

It will take time but you can definately elevate the space with some of the changes suggested.

Good luck!

• Allison0704
    last month

Susan, the cabinet pulls look brass - light reflecting on the far right bottom handle/knob. Maybe because no lights are on they seem dark. Thing by shower appears to be a litterbox.

• M. L.
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you everyone ! We have barely been in 1 week so things like the litter box are in an easy clean area :) but won't stay there.

I was going to try and restain the cabinets but I think they could have to go darker ? Thoughts ?

Also counters were looking at going lighter - like a white quartz?

• hollyfr
    last month

I'm about working with what you have and keeping costs down.

Bathroom: Paint Vanity; New counter to pull in that nice floor with much smaller undermount sinks. New mirrors and faucets. Either 2 cute ones are 1 interesting rectangle one. Personally I'd swap those sconces for single light so they don't overwhelm the space.

Kitchen: Paint Cabinets a color. I like muted blues and greens. Look around online and stick with tried and true colors.

Living Room: Paint the FP surround something off same strip as kitchen or a complementing color.

I'm still a fan of Repose for walls just goes with so much and they match my putty colored windows - but that's a personal preference. You need to bring color in w textiles.

Look online for inspo pics with small double vanities. I think painting cabinets will bring out your floors.

• Boxerpal
    last month

You have a lovely practical kitchen that just needs more light. I would put in the brightest LED bulbs you can afford. Go crazy bright. Maybe a couple small simple kitchen stools, rug, dish towels, maybe a curtain and beautiful large colorful platter could add some style. Think bright and light whatever your favorite color

Do you love the hardware in the kitchen and bath? That particular style gets caught on clothing all the time. Super annoying.

Maybe this one instead,

Amerock Mulholland Cabinet Pull, Black Bronze, 3" Center-to-Center · More Info

I would repaint your bathroom vanity, find a new mirror or frame the one you have. Or if possible get two mirrors. Change the hardware to match the above or at least match all the metals in the bathroom. And you have the good fortune to have fabulous gray tiles in your bathroom floor . VERY PRETTY.

Check out these mirrors and hardware

Vera · More Info

Modern American Farmhouse · More Info

Sammamish Modern Farmhouse Master Bath · More Info

• Theresa Peterson
    last month
    last modified: last month

Bathroom -- it's not so much wrong as unfinished. I wouldn't rush to paint the vanity; I'd try some other, cheaper things instead:

- The mirror is screaming out for a frame.

- The clear lights look like they aren't there at all ... maybe just change the globes to something opaque. They're hung a little too high, but you're probably not going to fix that.

- All that dark oil-rubbed-bronze is kinda bossy /screaming out for attention in a negative way.

- The room is missing linens, which are an opportunity to bring in some color. Add floor mats and hand towels. I see a white towel hanging over the door (why over the door?). Again, this is your opportunity to bring in color. While we're talking about linens, keep the shower curtain closed ... this is an opportunity for texture and color, and the shower looks unfinished with the curtain open.

- Ideally 10% of this room would be done in your accent color.

- Every room needs something organic and something living (or something that appears to be living). Add a woven basket on the toilet bank and flowers or a green plant on a shelf above the toilet or on the vanity.

- You need some artwork on the walls ... maybe above the toilet tank.

- The vanity was a misstep. It's all sink /no counter top. This is what happens when you squeeze two sinks into the space that would've supported one, but you're stuck with it now ... so keep the top clear.

- I don't particularly like the vanity's gold-tone hardware. It appears much more thin /delicate than your dark, chunky faucets. If you ever change the faucets, opt for wide-spread models, which are so much easier to clean /no flossing necessary. Also, these are the only gold items in the room.

- I'd do these things, then consider a color for the walls.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

"Darker?"

No and whoa.!!

You need six months of doing nothing! Nothing needs to be darker. You need color, evidence of life which comes from living.

Go back to your inspo's for the space,,,,,take your time, study them and you'll probably see where you erred, or were forced to err, given limited selection and a tract build.

• Theresa Peterson
    last month

Kitchen -- nothing's wrong here, it's just dark. And, like the bathroom, unfinished. What I'd do:

- Turn on the lights. If you don't have under-cabinet lights, add them.

- Add two barstools ... in a color (or with colored cushions).

- Add a bright colored curtain, but make it a valance /don't allow it to hold back any light from your single window.

- Look for other opportunities to bring in color, texture and personality: floor mats, a bright colored teapot, placemats.

- You've maxed out your cabinetry, and that leaves you little space for artwork or personality.

• Theresa Peterson
    last month

In the kitchen, consider the upper cabinets changed to have glass to lighten the load.

That's a nice idea.

You have the tract builder look, sorry to say, and I think that is what is bothering you!

Agree.

Pick a new top and faucets with 8 inch spread, use smaller under mount sinks, with a new top

If you're going to all that trouble, downsize to a single sink + well-chosen faucet, and add the drawers you need for at-sink storage.

Get moved in, and take your time. None of it is life threatening.
    Very good advice.
    Is that a cat litter beside the shower--just NO.

I thought it was a fold-up baby bathtub. Yeah, gotta go.

You could just fold a hand towel on counter.

No, that countertop is too small to support hand towels.

Also counters were looking at going lighter - like a white quartz?

Remove brand-new counter tops? I wouldn't, and I don't think they'd make a great deal of difference.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

How much are you looking to spend to "fix up" all the new stuff that is in here? I would also suggest taking pictures with the lights on. There is nothing wrong with darker cabinets if the space is lit properly.

I can agree and disagree with some of the comments. It all depends on how you live and your design tastes and how much you want vs need to spend.

Based on these pictures, other than a shower curtain, you really don't NEED anything except to move in and let yourself settle into a new space BEFORE making any hasty or expensive changes. So all the rest is a want. Take it slow. Only change things that truly bother you - that list will be different for each one of us.

For me, that list would include:

- Paint - find you favorite colors and add some depth to these rooms

- Move those towel rings - they really irk me.

- get some kind of drapes or cafe curtains

That's it !

Down the line, I would change the mirror to 2 recessed medicine cabinets and have the towel ring between the 2.

The spaces right now are devoid of personal items so it feels a little raw. Get some great canister for the kitchen counters and nice stools and settle in. The floors look great!

Congrats on our new home and good luck

• theresa21
    last month

I like the kitchen and the livingroom. I think the bathroom could use a single bowl, framed mirror and new light fixtures. I wouldn't paint the vanity or the cabinets. Nor would I paint the walls a color, add color with accessories. Maybe change the shades in the kitchen light fixtures, so that the bulbs are not bare.

• Debbie Williams
    last month

Your ceiling looks pretty low...you might try framing out your pendant lights like this (look at pinterest for coffered ceiling ideas-there are tons), not quite as deep as this. Then, line the inset piece with beadboard, where the one below is painted. Then wrap the island in matching light colored beadboard. (See thriftydecorchick.com for all the ways she has spiffed up her island, cabinets, etc. She makes it look sooo easy, LOL!) Need to lighten things up...don't forget, a small cute lamp on a kitchen counter adds another layer of light and is an easy find at Hobby Lobby. If you look across to the fireplace...leave it white (the TV will cover a lot of that wall) and paint the area around the windows something a little deeper color for contrast. Find a fabric (pillows, drapes) or a nice area rug that you love to pull your colors from...do NOT paint and then shop, it's just way toooo hard that way!