Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andgon

Is it ok to plant a new rose where another was was previously planted?

Andrea zone 9b
last month

Hi,

i’m in hot zone 9b in Northern California. I have a Summer Romance rose (2nd year ownroot from Heirloom). It is planted in my front yard where it gets over 6 hours of sun…probably about 8 hours. I’ve read here on Houzz that Summer Romance doesnt tolerate heat too well. The rose is healthy but, I was considering putting it in a pot in my backyard and putting something more heat tolerant in its place. Last year I grew Olivia Rose & 3 Leonardo Da Vinci roses that bloomed profusely in thay area (Summer Romance only had a few blooms)…questions for anyone interested in sharing advice:

1. Is it ok to plant a new rose where an old healthy rose was previously (without any time in between)?

2. Should I see how the rose does this year before moving it?

As always, thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to share advice!

Comments (13)

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    last month

Andrea, I move roses around and never have a problem. Of course, if I saw a rose was really struggling and it seemed to be a soil issue, I’d think twice before putting another rose in the same location. Otherwise, I don’t think there’s anything to be concerned about, but maybe someone else has more knowledge on the subject.

Andrea zone 9b thanked judijunebugarizonazn8
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

Funny you posted this now. Today I dug up a Sam Kedem-sourced unknown rose (I suspect it’s a Buck) and moved it to a hole vacated by Kosmos last December. Tomorrow or the next day I’ll be putting a just-arrived BR Bliss in the spot just vacated.

Andrea zone 9b thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

This has no relevance to your concern about SR’s heat tolerance.

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

I never even think about it. However, it seems to be a real thing in England and is called rose replant disease, I believe. Perhaps if the rose bed is old and planting holes have been used many times, there might be a problem. Diane

Andrea zone 9b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

I provided this link just to keep it interesting. It’s from about 10 years ago. Its author needs no introduction.

• mmmm12COzone5
    last month

We've done it a couple of times with no problems.

The only issue we had was when we dug out a giant 25ish yr old Dr. Huey and planted Fourth of July. We kept getting baby Dr. Huey's coming up all around it that we had to keep taking out.

The well contained younger roses all came out cleanly and the next rose generally thrived in the same hole. Here are some pics of our 2nd generation in the hole roses.

Livin Easy replaced Playboy which died back every year and then one spring the one cane that was just coming up got broken off by the drip hose moving and it died.

Fred Loads replaced Hypnotized which was virus-ed.

Lady in Red replaced Sally Holmes which didn't do well in this spot and never grew.

Above All replaced Sally Holmes which didn't do well in this spot and never grew. Above All isn't doing that well here either but it is a climber so slow to establish. However the flowers come late and then are eaten by Japanese Beetles right away so I don't get much enjoyment from this rose. It is a candidate for replacement.

Fourth of July replaced Dr. Huey which was huge and would grow out into the stairway area so needed constant trimming and was a once bloomer. It has been slow to establish and doesn't flower much.

Love Song replaced a very healthy and fast growing Golden Wings which was going to be too big for this spot. For me Love Song stays really small so was relocated from another area of the yard. It suits the location as it will not grow into the generator which we did not have when we planted Golden Wings.

Neil Diamond replaced a white rose that balled it's flowers 100% of the time (even with no rain).

Candy Land replaced Oranges and Lemons which got run over by a garden cart. This isn't a fair addition to this list though because it got run over really young so I don't feel it was established.

We've had some failures too like Souvenir de St. Anne replaced a failing Sally Holmes but it never thrived either. I think it was either too much under a tree or the rose was too weak for the Colorado climate. The failing Sally Holmes was moved to the spot where Lady in Red is since the original Sally Holmes there died. It didn't thrive there either but Lady in Red does ok.

Andrea zone 9b thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • User
    last month
    last modified: last month

The article on "Replant Research" linked to on the ARS site is written by David Zlesak, a rose breeder I have known for many years. If David is researching the potential factors contributing to "replant disease", then what he has to say is worth paying attention to.

Some here in the West think it's a gardening myth, but in the UK it's been a persistent, nagging problem whose origins are unclear. As David points out, most commercial rose growers (here in North America) rotate their crops as to avoid reusing the same land again and again for rose production. It's reasonable to expect that this is done to avoid the negative effects that potentially accumulate when using the same soil for years, for the same crop. We may not (yet) know the exact mechanism that drives "replant disease", it will eventually - thank to researchers like David - become better understood.

Now, about the OP's question.

Moving a single rose from the location it's occupied for only 2 years, and planting a different rose in its place is not likely going to create a problem for either rose. I suspect the whole "replant disease" phenomenon is something you'd observe only when removing a rose that has been in one place for many years, and attempting to plant a new one in that spot. It's also possible that - assuming most growers take good care of their soil - that you'd not see any problem no matter how old the rose you're replacing. I see no reason not to move the roses as you see fit. It's unlikely there will be negative consequences.

• bart bart
    last month

As far as I know "rose replant syndrome" is an issue here in Europe, not so much in the USA. In

England I understand that it is a real problem, so much so that English rose nurseries advise some pretty drastic approaches ; one even said (if memory serves me) something to the effect that even if a rose has only been growing I year in a spot, it could cause problems! Here in Italy, they advise you not to plant in the exact same spot, but a little off to the side of the spot, for what that's worth. Paul's comment seems to me to sum the situation up pretty much perfectly.

For me, it seems as if whenever I move a rose I am left with an empty pit anyway, and my soil always needs improvement, so I take advantage of the situation by working in good quality potting soil,expanded clay, etc into the existing spot. (I think it was someone from the Bierkreek nursery in the Netherlands who advised adding a wheelbarrow ful of new soil to the spot,so I use that as a guide-line.)

So, no, I don't think that it's a made-up issue; I think it's very real in England, much less so in Europe,and as for the USA, re-read Paul's post!

Andrea zone 9b thanked bart bart
  • Nollie in Spain Zone9
    last month

Interesting, I never knew some areas of the world got replant disease more than others, but it makes sense to me because farmers have traditionally rotated crops to avoid nutrient deficiency, soil pathogens, pests etc. I wonder if there is a particular growth inhibiting element in European soils that those lucky folks in the US that never get it don't have??

I’ve never experienced it and don’t know if it’s common here, but that’s because I learnt my rose care skills from the UK (where it can be a problem) so always err on the side of caution even when the previous rose hasn’t been there many years. I replace the soil from other areas of the garden that haven’t grown roses before and amend it well. However, because my soil is really shallow its always a challenge finding enough! So I often resort to the box method, sinking a cardboard box into the soil, filling it with a potting mix containing only a small amount of 'clean' garden soil and plant into that.

Andrea zone 9b thanked Nollie in Spain Zone9
  • rosecanadian
    last month

Here's a video I've watched from a rose distributor in Canada about Rose Replant sickness. It's worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BCcfiF3fNE

Andrea zone 9b thanked rosecanadian
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last month

I think Palatine rotates their fields, too too.

mmmm: your roses really pop in those photos.