Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_496078369

kitchen faucet handle over sink

Franny F
last month

Hi

I'm trying to find a pull-down or pre-rinse, single-handle kitchen faucet that can be installed such that the handle is over the sink, preferably one with a long (>9") spout reach.

I know there are many faucets that fit the bill, but most single handle faucets installed this way will have the handle stops at 12 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I'm looking for a faucet which, when installed with the handle over the sink, will have stops at 10 o'clock-ish and 2 o'clock-ish. Basically, I'd like symmetry in the hot-cold stops.

Oddly, both Waterstone and Glacier Bay can do this. I'm looking for a faucet somewhere in between those cost extremes. Something at the Kohler/Delta/Moen level ideally, though not necessarily those brands.

I spoke with a Moen rep and they said none of theirs can do this.

Any suggestions?

Comments (21)

• chispa
    last month

I did this in my previous house and wish I had done it in the new house. Does a great job of keeping drips off the counter. Maybe next time I need a plumber for something else, I'll get them to rotate it. I don't remember how far the lever rotated for hot/cold. You pulled it out for volume. Really liked this faucet, but it was discontinued.

• Franny F
    Original Author
    last month

Chispa- Exactly what I want. Do you remember the brand?

• M Miller
    last month
    last modified: last month

The faucet pictured by @chispa I’m going to guess is the Franke Masterchef Pre-rinse High-arc faucet. I believe Kraus makes a couple faucets that look similar, the Britt and Oletto models. But I don’t know if either of those Kraus faucets has the handle positioning that the OP wants.

• chispa
    last month

Yes, without looking up old notes, I think that was the faucet @M Miller. I was going to use it again when building in 2021, but it was discontinued at that time.

• Franny F
    Original Author
    last month

I guess a related question-
    It seems most faucets that can do forward facing would have stops at 12 o’clock and 9 o’clock. Does anyone have that setup and is it…weird? Or do you just get used to it?

• chispa
    last month

I just looked at my new faucet, which has stops and 9 & 12. It isn't rotated to the front, but I think you would get used to it like most things in life! My problem would be changing it now that my DH has used it for 2 years on the side ... he'll probably complain a bit about it being changed, but would also get used to it.

Kohler Purist: I really like the faucet. Easy to use on/off spray button. Good reach for a 36", or less, sink. It is a tall faucet, so try to see one at a plumbing showroom. The vibrant stainless finish is really easy to keep clean and looks good with a stainless sink.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last month

I have the set-up you want in my own kitchen and frankly I wish I didn’t. My lever has to be pulled forward to turn on the water and then side to side to change the temp. The problem with that is that if I have a large pot to wash, it sometimes knocks against the lever and shuts off the water. If it was mounted on the side as per the manufacturer, that wouldn’t happen. Something to consider before you do the install.

• clt3
    last month

Have you checked Grohe? I have an older model that does that. I don't know about the newer ones.

• chispa
    last month

@Sabrina Alfin (can't link your user name), a lot of the new sinks, specially ledge ones, are only 16" front to back, so I made sure to choose a Julien sink that was 18" front to back, which helped with not experiencing your problem when washing larger items in the sink. I'm very tempted to rotate my new one because of the amount of water drips, right under the handle, caused by others in the household! They also don't see the puddle and don't wipe it up!

• Missy Bee
    last month

It is funny…my old faucet was not an elegant looking faucet but it functioned well and there was never any water on the ledge between sink and backsplash wall. The volume/temp lever extended over the sink and the integral faucet/hand sprayer also reached over the sink so dripping hands were never over the narrow counter behind the sink. Now I have a beautiful arched faucet with the control lever just above the counter ledge…lots of water collects there when washing dishes…yes we hand wash many things and DH wants to rinse everything before it goes in the dishwasher.

• wdccruise
    last month
    last modified: last month

"I'm looking for a faucet which, when installed with the handle over the sink, will have stops at 10 o'clock-ish and 2 o'clock-ish"

The IKEA Vimmern (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vimmern-kitchen-faucet-with-handspray-stainless-steel-color-40519948/) works this way.

@Missy Bee: "DH wants to rinse everything before it goes in the dishwasher"

That wastes time, wastes money, and leads the dishwasher to perform poorly because its sensor is misled to believe that the dishes are already clean. Scrape only.

• Franny F
    Original Author
    last month

@clt3 I've looked at grohe. I know american standard has one or two (but with short reach) and the have the same parent company so that's a possibility. The spec sheets don't often say.

@wdccruise - Do you have this faucet? On the spec sheet it looks like 12 and 9 o'clock but maybe I'm not looking at it correctly.

The Kohler artifacts does this but I'm hoping for one with a metal spray head and I think the artifacts is plastic.

I definitely appreciate all the suggestions!

• wdccruise
    last month

"@wdccruise - Do you have this faucet?"

No, but I saw it at IKEA yesterday and it works the way you want.

• M Miller
    last month

"I'm hoping for one with a metal spray head and I think the artifacts is plastic."

I would not put any importance on whether the spray head is plastic or metal. You will find very few faucets with metal spray heads. A metal spray head will get hot when using hot water, and then can be hard to hold. Plastic won't get hot, and is also lighter and easier to hold.

I have the Kohler Artifacts kitchen faucet, and like it very much. What is more important than whether the spray head is metal or not is how effective the spray head is. Kohler's spray head has 3 settings - a berry setting (for gentle wash of berries), a regular spray, and a "sweep" spray that sprays in a fan shape to enable rinsing a dish in one motion. You could have the most solid metal faucet head in the universe, but if it doesn't have good spray function and/or if it is not ergonomic to hold, you won't like it so much.

My Kohler Artifacts model is the one with the standard side handle. But it also comes in the handle style pictured below, #K-99260, and I wonder whether that one solves the issue of water dripping onto the counter under the handle. I don't have that style, so I don't know for sure.

Franny F thanked M Miller
  • Franny F
    Original Author
    last month

M Miller - thanks for the perspective on the wand material.

Does your artifacts have markings for hot and cold - either letter or red/blue stickers? That's the other difficulty with rotating these faucets is sometimes the hot/cold labels end up on the wrong side.

What finish did you get on yours?

• blueskysunnyday
    last month

My Rohl does what you are talking about if I understand correctly.

• blueskysunnyday
    last month

Is this what you want?

• Franny F
    Original Author
    last month

@blueskysunnyday Yes. Exactly this. Rohl’s spec sheets aren’t clear on this.
    What model is that?

• blueskysunnyday
    last month

Perrin & Rowe Juliet