Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deepa_kharidhi

Help picking wood and stain for kitchen cabinets

Deepa Kharidhi
last month

We are doing a complete remodel of our kitchen and will end up having a large island that’s a little over 10’x5’. Perimeter cabinets will be painted white (leaning toward shoji white), I want the island to be stained wood. The island will have our sink/dishwasher and will be heavily used, so durability is key. We are not redoing floors all over as this would be a big project, we will just be refinishing the kitchen area to match the rest of the house.

This is what I need help with - I see a lot of white oak cabinets when I look at pictures online, but when I brought a couple of samples home, I wasn’t too sure that would work with my floors.
-I see white oak cabinets with lighter floors, thoughts on dark floors with white oak cabinets?
-Would going with a darker stain on white oak work better or is the grain pattern just too much of a clash with the flooring? Our cabinet guy uses Rubio Monocoat to finish white oak.
-or, should I just give up on white oak and look at maple or walnut for the island?

I’m really confused right now, please help! Thank you!!

Comments (12)

• Boxerpal
    last month

Oak is a great hardwood but it does have a bit of a pattern as you can see in your image of the floors. Are you trying to compliment or match? I would chose oak over maple because Oak takes stains better and Oak is much harder. So, the banging wear and tear of a busy family with the Oak might be a better option for you. Maple and Pine are soft and can dent easily. Have you considered walnut?

As far as color, there are combinations all over Houzz. You just need to see which ones appeal to you and see if you can sample some stains before the final choice.

Are those three options Cotton, Sky or Grey your options for the island?

I am not sure the wood on this island but the floors are oak. You can see going dark and light works nicely

2014 Spring Festival Feature Home · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Edgewood Project · More Info

• PRO
    Minardi
    last month

Rubio is NOT durable for a hard used kitchen. And those colors are all too gray/white ashy. I think a natural cherry that would deepen a bit over time would be better than trying to jump on the white oak bandwagon.

• Deepa Kharidhi
    Original Author
    last month

@boxerpal I’m trying to compliment the floor and the island. Thank you for your input on oak - I’d love for that to work. Walnut seems to be softer than maple and oak, when I looked online - is that still a better choice than maple? With colors, most pictures of the contrast I see are with lighter floors and dark cabinets, so I was hesitating on doing the opposite combo. The three colors I have there are just three of the popular ones that my cabinet guy has used recently, but there are more options with Rubio.

• Deepa Kharidhi
    Original Author
    last month

@minardi thank you for the input about Rubio - I am hearing mixed reviews about it too.. it was heavily pushed by my contractor as durable, or at-least great at hiding scratches, but may be that’s on the lighter stains…

• dan1888
    last month

If you look at European Oak from the many flooring sites, you'll see the difference the denser species without open grain makes when compared with North American Oak. Unfortunately, our cabinet companies aren't yet up to speed on this choice. Ikea Vedham is produced in Hungary with European Oak.

• chispa
    last month

Shoji White can be quite yellow. Also make sure the white you choose for your cabinets complements the white used on your trim/doors in the house.

• darbuka
    last month

@dan1888, seeing how over the past year, you’ve been shilling for European oak, I’m inclined to suspect that you work for the European oak industry.

Not everyone is into the minimalist Scandi look. Graining is what gives real wood an earthy depth, and warmth.

Deepa’s floors are beautiful. A complimentary stain for the proposed wood island is attainable, without resorting to European oak.

I don’t have an island, however I do have white oak stained floors, and medium stained birch wood cabinets. The key is to choose stains that compliment, while offering contrast.

• dan1888
    last month

The open grain in oak as the OP pictured turns black when finished. I see that as giving that flat cut surface a two dimensional appearance without the multiple tones of cherry or walnut. You've seen this in Golden Oak kitchens used by builders in the 80s. in the US. Rift cut oak eliminates the open grain. Cerising fills the open grain with a light color paint to hide it. In Europe one domestic oak species without open grain is quercus robur,. They never went through the same phase. That species when flat cut shows off more character.

Of course, your preference is a personal choice, which isn't debatable.

Pale non-yellow wood is only possible with the development of water-based polys like Bona and Ciranova. The opl finishes 'warm' the wood appearance by yellowing it.

• PRO
    Minardi
    last month

NO, the grain does NOT "turn black" when finished by someone who knows what they are doing. What a lot of claptrap.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last month

"The key is to choose stains that compliment, while offering contrast."

^^ This.

I don't like any of the three wood stain samples you have against your flooring. Keep sampling.

• dan1888
    last month

New options become available as technologies develop. The combination of the color tones of European Oak, its closed grain dense structure, 7-12"wide flat cut veneer engineered planks and clear matte water based polys is an increasingly seen choice. Many buyers won't be aware of it. That's why I highlight it. One choice isn't the only choice.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last month

^^ Some people just don't like that look. At all. I am one of them. Frankly, it looks like unfinished wood to me.

Regardless, OP isn't re-doing her floors, she made that clear; she wanted advice on the ISLAND, and an island in the type of wood look you're showing in flooring isn't going to coordinate well with her current floor (which is beautiful as-is IMO), as evidenced by the pallid stain samples she has.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County