Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_648278541

I need help w/my exterior!!!

Katie Fischer
last month

The exterior of my house needs a lot of help and I"m look for ideas /feedback, and help visualizing the changes.

Ideas I have right now::

1) Paint the entire house a soft white OR paint the stucco white and keep some of the brick (either natural or restain.)

2)Paint the gutters dark

3)change the roof over the portico to copper shingles.

4)Add posts under the portico to make it stand out more.

5)Add 1/3 hurricane shutters to the two windows over the entrance

6) add full hurricane shutters to the garage

7) Replace the garage door and front door with transitional, natural wood doors

Comments (10)

• acm
    last month
    last modified: last month

No shutters. There are probably paint colors that go better with your brick than the current one, and/or you could stain the brick. But this house seems ok to me -- do you have examples of what you like or are trying to get closer to? You can't really make it something it isn't... As for the front door, given that it's darkened by the overhang, I think I'd go with a bright color to make it visible. But that's just me.

• acm
    last month

Also, I don't see the copper shingles. The natural green patina that you'd have by year two seems disconnected here.

• arcy_gw
    last month

I would not paint the brick. It's supposed to be no maintenance. I think your door is very attractive--I don't see needing to change it. Your garage maybe a bit plain but it's a garage that's prominent-do you need it more so? Not sure copper and the brick and a better house color will all play nice together.

• PRO
  • flopsycat1
    last month

Improved landscaping and a resurfaced driveway would add life to your home.

• J F
    last month

I like the idea of posts under the portico.

• Olychick
    last month

I think it would look really nice with a creamy white wash/paint over the whole thing. Use a product specifically for brick. Not sure what difference it makes that brick should be maintenance free when most of the house is siding and will need periodic repainting anyway. I love the brick lining on the driveway and a color similar to that would bring it all together. I might use charcoal trim.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last month

Don’t paint the gutters a dark color; don’t paint the gutters a contrasting color. Why would you want to draw attention to them? Everybody has gutters - they’re not a design feature.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last month

We use a lot of painted brick in our designs but in the case of your house I rather like the brick and stucco combination. In agreement with you about replacing the garage door. Would suggest that you include lites (windows) somewhere in the door. Nothing opens up a flat garage fascade like adding windows. A definite yes to replacing the current post supporting the portico roof. Would suggest you replace with columns that are much more substantial - perhaps even have a pair of columns on each side. Would also suggest placing those columns on brick bases using the same brick as on your house.

• cat_ky
    last month

I would not paint the brick. The house really looks good just the way it is. I would add posts to the portico. They would add something. Not skinny ones though, get some nice bigger ones. If you are in a hurricane area, then, I would think the hurricane shutters are probably necessary. Mostly what your house needs, is some much nicer landscaping, and a bit of color in some accessories, like pots, or flowers.