Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Fertilizing hosta

bkay2000
last month

My hosta were really set back by the stifling heat and low humidity last summer. I think Squash Casserole is the only one that doesn't appear to be smaller than before. I'd like to get them in good shape early in the season, as El Nino might not finish with us before mid-summer.

A while ago (probably years ago), there was a discussion on how often to fertilize potted hosta. It was quoting Solberg and someone else. If I remember correctly, the professionals said 1/2 strength water soluble fertilizer every 2 1/2 weeks.

Does that seem accurate to you?

bkay

Comments (13)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

While it is always good to get first hand experience, hosta_maker's methodology flies in the face of recommended suitable and long-lasting container gardening soils and procedures. Hostas require no different care or attention than does any other perennial being grown long term in a container. I'd suggest you review many of the applicable posts in the Container Gardening forum on this subject for the details of what is considered to be a more efficient and practical methodology.

• hosta_maker
    last month
    last modified: last month

Lol i guess 25 years of breeding hosta in pots accounts for nothing in your eyes.

Gal how many high demand hostas do you have on the market?

have you sat thru solbergs talk on growing hosta in pots? did you notice how much time he spends on developing his own mix?

bkay2000 thanked hosta_maker
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

Like I stated, first hand experience can be helpful but the seemingly axiomatic mantra of "it must be right because I've always done it this way" just does not hold water. Gardening is based on real science and science changes with time and increased knowledge and so do previously accepted gardening premises.

btw, it is not just my eyes"!! This is a standard horticultural convention. Feel free to look it up!.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    last month

Babka grew/grows hosta in pots in the Santa Clara area. She grew some gorgeous pots of hosta. Not easily, I might add. The last time she posted, she only had about 50 or so left. It's hard to grow nice ones long term in areas not well suited. It's worth it, though.

bk

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

" Gee i thought this was a hosta specific forum. "

But the best methods and practices for growing in containers is not plant specific .....it applies to ALL container plants! Why would hosta need to be treated differently? I grow all of mine in containers, primarily because I can keep them away from predation by snails, slugs, rabbits and deer.

My sister lived in Dana Point in Orange County for many years and was very able to grow fabulous looking hostas in the ground in her shady garden. And she's not a particularly skilled gardener. They are not at all tricky plants to grow.......

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

" nobody needs wondering blow hard advice "

That's a pretty rude comment and has been reported. And that would be wandering, not wondering. If you are going to insult someone, at least try and get the insult correct.

Sheesh!!!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last month

i hate my new chrome book.. keey board too sma.ll

i not going to correct the typos.. lol ..

hosta grow roots in july ... aug and sept.. to store energy for emergence in spring...

in theory.. you cant fert now.. to off set scuh .. because you missed the window to fert for root growth....

old school gil jones.. of warwick fame.. aka.. warwick comet... here in jackson MI ... would fert hie hosta in ground freeze MI .... IN THE GROUND ..... with 49-0-0 in early spring.. praying some late frost or freeze wouldnt kill them back to teh ground after his juicing ...

no clue what that means for pot peeps ...

what should you do.. how the heck do i know.. carp.. and blimey.. and go figure... oh.. throw them ont eh driveay ... bare root.. them repot them .... and give them a stern atalking to... maybe bneat them on teh sidewalk house or tree.. before you repot..

get you freaking act together.. or get out.. you holy piece of carp ....

God i hate this small kepyboard ...

ken

ps: salting my pork blade roast with 2 teaspoons of celery salt and 1/4 of onion and garlic powders... overnoght uncovered int eh fridge ... as noted above.. i hate this keyboard .... go chef go... will have with gravy on mashed tomorrow.. and pulled pork sandwich on monday....

last month

oh.... and yes.. all my potted houseplants get 1/4 teasppon of water sol n a gal of water ..... every watering... just a gal milk jug... kept at the ready ...

you can keep a gal of full strength water sol fert and dump whatever int o the watering can... to cut it down ...

you are a chef.. im sure you can figure it out...

ken

last month

oh. and i went to solbergs talks at housta college 3 ro 4 times.. so what he said is probabalby ingranined in all that... i hate this keyboard

• Babka NorCal 9b
    last month

Hey Ken! Quit complaining and get a BIGGER Chromebook. A 15" one will allow your fingers to find the keys.

Oh, and for you fert folks, my hostas (in pots) are leafing out now and I will fert them soon, (weakly, weekly). If you want to know when they begin to grow new roots, just slip them out of a pot and look for those new short little white ones. For you folks with them in the ground, give it to them anytime, they will use what they need when they need it, just do it lightly.

I have had some very successful ones grow in pots for me here in Sunnyvale, CA (next to San Jose), but it takes a lot of work, keeping them on the dry side during our normal winter rainy season, and fighting snails, mealy bugs, and aphids.

I migrated here from Northern Illinois where they grew like weeds, with almost no care at all.

And KEN, you probably should get OUT of the kitchen. Stick a port butt roast and your seasonings in a crock pot, turn it on LO and wait until tomorrow. LOW and SLOW. Then "fork it" as they say.

Miss you,

-Babka

bkay2000 thanked Babka NorCal 9b
  • bkay2000
    Original Author
    last month

Hey, Babka, great to hear from you. I no longer feel like I'm the only one struggling with weather and hosta in pots when you are around.

bk

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last month

Babka, your words! Kudos for trying to grow plants against your climate.

I tried to grow some rare plants from seed. I got to be a whiz at germination but keeping things alive that did not like my Midwest weather was too much.

Aty my previous house I had good number of potted hostas. Handful of Osmocote in the spring and consistent watering got me luscious beauties. I listened to Solberg lecture on his methods of potted hostas and got few useful tips. Obviously bigger operations required better science and regulations. But location probably does matter, a lot. I do not need a lot of tricks to grow hostas and peeps in WI do it even better than me in full sun...

There is reason why I do not grow San Marzano tomatoes too... But former USSR varieties that could take sun and snow in 1 day are my staples.