Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_crull43

Lakehouse - front landscape sprucing up

Stephanie Crull
last month
last modified: last month

Hi! I need to (quickly) add some planters to to my front porch area and possible some shrubs to the front of the house. I have no idea where to start. What color planters, what color flowers, etc?

Something screams black-eyed susans to me, LOL. Note that there is a wraparound porch on the left side of the photo that leads to an outdoor dining area with market lights.

Comments (5)

• ginatay124
    last month

Approximately where are you located? Are you staging for immediate sale? Assuming that you might be having freezing temperatures until first of May or so, you might want to fill a planter with an evergreen tree surrounded by evergreen shrubs such as in this photo and place it to the left of your front door. Look for contrasts in colors or textures. Black eyed Susans may not be blooming for several months. Summer annuals will freeze. Consider light and water needs of whatever you put in. If staging for an open house/showings, I might add some blooming pansies or daffodils to the arrangement I described above:

• ginatay124
    last month

Dwarf Alberta Spruce with pansies, ornamental cabbage, and saxifrage - all found in a local garden center first of April in Zone 5. All but the spruce were replaced in mid May with sweet potato vine, begonias, and coleus.

• acm
    last month

There's a reason it's all gravel, and that reason is shade! Agree that for staging, a mix of evergree with annuals is the way to go, especially if you can move them out into the sun occasionally between visitors!

• Kendrah
    last month

If you want to play up the more modern look of the home go with black planters. If you want to go more country then use terra cotta or burgundy glazed.

How much sun or shade to you get there at different times of day? What is you location (weather this time of year) and for how long do you need these plants to last? Are you staging or sale or an event?

• P.D. Schlitz
    last month

Some good ideas given for containers- I’d probably do a larger container in the gravel off the right corner of the deck (to the right of front door). 1 or 2 hanging baskets on the porch could look nice as well.

It looks like the area to the left of the wraparound porch might get enough sun for black eyed susans or a sun-loving wildflower patch. In the shady corner to the right of the porch, you could try some native wildflowers that will do ok in shade, ie Joe Pye Weed, goatsbeard, coral bells or similar. Not sure where you are, but these are all hardy and native to much of the eastern half of the US.