Houzz Logo Print
grewa002

Kitchen triangle layout?

grewa002
last month
last modified: last month

Hello wise Houzz people!

We are in the process of designing our kitchen

We are debating on the layout of the L shaped kitchen: should we put fridge- sink on one side, and cooktop double ovens on the other side of the L or fridge- cooktop/ sink double oven?

The side of the L where the fridge is looks towards the backyard, the side with the double ovens towards the neighbours, so I was thinking the first option so that the window over the sink looks to the backyard. My husband however prefers the second option. Is there a standard? Thank you!

Comments (13)

• chispa
    last month

Google "kitchen work zones" to get you started on the topic.

• acm
    last month

If you put a fridge on one end and a double oven on the other, you might end up feeling like you're working in a much tighter space than otherwise. Unless your L is very large...

floorplan to scale?

grewa002 thanked acm
  • grewa002
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you! The dimensions are not set in stone yet, we are building the floor plan for a house that we have gutted. The side where I was thinking to put the double ovens is going to be 13 or 14 ft long, the side where the fridge would be is 10 ft long, and there is an island across. It is open to the family room on the side towards the fridge and next to the dining room on the side by the ovens

• grewa002
    Original Author
    last month

A gruff drawing. I don't have a correct drawing to scale, we are going back and forth with the architect regarding the exact floor plan still.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

IMO to try to design a kitchen with no parameters is impossible so figure out the space then we need a to scale floor plan all windows doorways and where those lead All meausrements clearly marked on graph paper posted here in jpeg format in a comment DO NOT start another post .Please do not let the architect design your kitchen. You will get lots of free help here once we know the actual space but you will need an indepedant KD to fine tune the ideas . When coming backhere we need the appliance sizes and so will the actual designer .

grewa002 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • grewa002
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you all, we will be designing the kitchen with a kitchen designer, but we need to finalize the wall and window layout and the outside measurements in order to submit to town for permits. So once we submit for permits, we will get all the specifics, but the location of the sink versus cooktop affects the location of windows, so we want to get that right now.

I am attaching a photo of the architect's latest plan with our suggested modifications. The architect had the fridge by the entrance from the mudroom, I would like it by the family room, and he had the sink by the wall behind the mudroom, I would like it towards the backyard. The mudroom side is towards the driveway (south), the family room/ nook towards the backyard (east), the stairs towards the north.

The current house is the first rectangle, which has interior dimensions 32*23.

• grewa002
    Original Author
    last month

• theresa21
    last month

If you are proposing two windows in the kitchen, where will the range/stove go?

If you are going with just one window, an important consideration for me would be which cardinal direction the windows faced. Also, is that a covered porch over the entrance? If so, that window would not receive much natural light and if the range is placed on that wall, how will it be ventilated?

Both of your proposed plans leaves very little prep space between the range and the sink. And the sink bunched up near the corner would not be ideal.

• grewa002
    Original Author
    last month

Theresa21, we are proposing 1 window. The architect had it towards the entrance, I am suggesting towards the backyard. I am suggesting to decrease the length of the dining room by 1 1/2 foot, so to add 1 1/2 foot of space by the cooktop. Another option would be to put the cooktop on the island, but my husband does not like that idea.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last month

I would take the preliminary plans to an interior designer and a kitchen designer (sometimes one and the same) before submitting for permits. This way you have all the changes that they suggest before you have things set in stone and have to pay for every change order.

grewa002 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • grewa002
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you Jennifer Hogan, that sounds like a great idea.

BTW, I welcome any comments re: the floor plan

• acm
    last month

I like the fridge on the family room side, but I still think I'd reconsider the wall ovens unless you are a really huge baker, as the working counter space is quite tight in this layout.