Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greatamazingdeal

Have not been on Houzz in ages. Has Sophie been reinstated?

Just wondering, it's been years, has Sophie been reinstated? Goodness she was a handful, but so knowledgeable.

Or has this platform been completely taken over and taken in a different direction?

Someone catch me up!

Besos

Comments (41)

• deegw
    last month

After all the excitement, there was a FB group created and Sophie was a member. I think there were health issues and they never really participated. That was a long time ago!

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked deegw
  • Coffee Dude
    last month

I am wondering the same. I had a post a couple of months ago, and put a new one up and not one comment. I am not sure why the light switch turned "off"? Anyhow, welcome back . My advice is do the opposite of what I advise - unless it is on landscaping.

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked Coffee Dude
  • deegw
    last month
    last modified: last month
    Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked deegw
  • grewa002
    last month

I loved her snarky comments! So knowledgeable!

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked grewa002
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Sophie Wheeler, unfortunately, had a stroke shortly after leaving Houzz.

She was forced to leave her home in Mississippi, and following that? I can't hazard a guess.

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

Oh goodness! That is heart breaking to hear. I adored her. I would join threads just to see what she would say next.

Wishing her the best

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked Debbi Washburn
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month

Well said, Jan. So very sad.

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

I loved her too .

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    Original Author
    last month

I remember her telling us all off with cheapchinesecrapola, LOLOL!!!

And barn doors.

Goodness she made me laugh, thank you all for responding.

• ulisdone
    last month

Wow, that all seems like a lifetime ago…

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked ulisdone
  • Coffee Dude
    last month

I m pretty sure she told me crapola, too! I like characters like that!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

"Remuddle". Cheapchinesecrapola." "lipstick on a pig." .........and so many more. She was a staunch defender of our trade, (gem below)

7 years ago

"The Pros are the ones with scars. GenPop are the ones that inflict them. "

Unafraid to call out bad taste? It drove Houzzers insane.

6 years ago.........

"Discernment. Some have it and some don’t. It would be better to have no discernment at all, because then you wouldn’t care that your giant blobby pink beige sofa clashes with your baby poo yellow tan walls. "

Whatever she said? I think it is totally great that we're still talking about her. Notoriety should never be underestimated : )

She just called 'em as she saw 'em!

Original Author
    last month

Jan, LOLOLOL!!!!

I forgot about lipstick on a pig!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Lol on truth?

............"because then you wouldn’t care that your giant blobby pink beige sofa clashes with your baby poo yellow tan walls"

Hysterical : )

• Paul F.
    last month

In my opinion Houzz is in decline because of competition from other social media formats. If Houzz is not paying some of you regular posters they need to start very soon. Instagram, TikTok and Youtube are making their contributors millionaires.

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked Paul F.
  • tozmo1
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

One of my very favorite Sophie comments with particular love for "I drink, and know things."

Don't make a 75 year old curmudgeon shame you.

Repost from another thread, but pertinent here. Now go fix me a sandwich.

Not that I have to share, but at one time or another, I could do all of the below. I’m also smart enough to pay for better results than I could achieve when it was important. As you pointed out, when hundreds of thousands of dollars are on the line, it might be important. And at 75, I don’t do as much as I used to. I drink, and I know things.

I can:

Change a flat tire and put the new one on the rim and seat it properly. Balance it too.

Change my oil and filter.

Pull a transmission and rebuild it.

Pull a dent.

Mix and pour concrete.

Frame a wall. Own the framing nailer and commercial sized compressor to run it.

Swing up and seat a truss—with help.

Shingle a barn roof or a house with asphalt shingles. Own the roofing nailer too.

Run a Ditchwitch and Plumb all of the exterior faucets and a good deal of the interior. Soldering copper too. Not just glueing PVC.

Replace a light fixture or ceiling fan.

Run a new outlet from another outlet. That’s it on electrical. Too much risk to get wrong.

Can beans and taters, salsa, and whatever extra happened in the garden that year.

Make my own jelly and preserves.

Sun dry tomatoes.

Make my own jerky. Got the Excalibur.

Butcher a deer. Not prettily, but it can happen.

Grill a steak. Bic lighter and I’m done.

Graft a rose. Used to grow my own Fortuniana for it too until a bit too cold winter happened.

Give a halfass haircut in a pinch. Not on me though.

Design and sew my own clothes.

Piece and quilt a decent bedspread.

Crochet an Afghan.

Knit a sweater.

Embroider a pair of jeans or a jacket.

Bedazzle. Yes, I’m that old.

Hand draw a scale diagram.

Use various software to do the same.

Lay a brick wall with a string level, and know how to make and use the water level for the long runs.

Bale lespedeza and get it in the barn the smart way.

Run a bobcat without too much damage of person and property.

Make muscadine wine. Drink plenty of it too.

Solder silver jewelry. Can’t wear it though, so I quit that.

Refinish furniture. That’s why I hate the chalk paint crowd.

Faux finish a ceiling or wall. As in faux bois or malachite, or shagreen, or marble. Not popcorn. Although I can run a popcorn hopper too.

And run a cellulose hopper for the guy in the attic placing it.

Flash a window properly. No mean skill, because about half the contractors out there can’t seem to do it.

Sew up a gash in a cow or sheep.

Give shots and sew up a wound. On an animal only. People have too much drama.

Thers about a zillion other things that I can do less well too. But, things I can do well and get paid for is a smaller list. As it is with anyone. No one is ever gonna hire me to work in a tire shop. And these days, I don’t DIY that any more.

I know my limitations on what I can halfass if I have enough time, and don’t care so much about the end result. You don’t. Halfassing the design for a couple of hundred thousand dollar build is just not the way to go when you just don’t have a good sense of scale and spatial relations.

God bless you Sophie, know we are thinking of you.

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked tozmo1
    Original Author
    29 days ago

LOLOL!!!

I forgot about go fix me a sandwich ;)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    29 days ago

I am grateful to have run across this gem of a person in the midst of all the madness!

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Kendrah
    29 days ago

Sophie, what a love. That woman had me in stitches and learning all the while. Wonder if her loved ones realize what a fan club she has?

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked Kendrah
  • Boxerpal
    29 days ago

I miss Sophie. She was BRUTAL but her advice was TRUTHFUL. She helped me tackle some projects with her acidic wit and practical approach. I loved how she got down to the real issue and wasn't afraid of anyone. The Queen of design and I miss that talent. We need more Sophies on this planet of ours.

I also miss the Old Gardenweb. When Houzz took over they made me change my name from Boxerpups to Boxerpal. I have no idea why. They must have not liked something I posted. It was so strange.

Thanks for this post, I am sad that Sohie Wheeler has some health issues. I am thankful I got to see her posts in real time and thankful there are folks who remember Super Sophie.

Boxerpal aka

Boxerpups

Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked Boxerpal
  • PRO
    29 days ago

Well I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but Jan Moyer has stepped into Sophie's shoes. Another super experienced and talented designer with a quick wit and truth that isn't administered with novocaine.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago

Oh help me Lord!!

I’d have set my hair on fire to work with her- and had the laughs all day long, and pick her brain DRY!

But its worh noting - she ticked off so many, and were she still here today?

She’d face an outright firestorm you cant even begin to imagine.

Think about that……as you type ”oh its lovely,!”

when it isnt. :)

Then just imagine what Sophie posts?

OMG :)

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK thanked elcieg
  • tozmo1
    29 days ago

Love Jan's comments but please, please shhhhh, don't say she's Sophie. We don't want her booted!

• PRO
    29 days ago

Haha, that's so true, tozmo!

• tdemonti
    29 days ago

Paul F, I have never looked at the social media sites you mention because I seek quality.

• Paul F.
    29 days ago

Ha…reminds me of Americans forgetting we are only 3% of the world’s population. There’s a big world out there.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

I'd say it's very tough to beat Houzz for the most entertaining veers ala social media, and certainly the sound advice that abounds - if you've got the "skin" to absorb it.

You can wish some folks away, you can barely tolerate some, and others will become friends, despite you've never met in person.. No different than society at large, but with design benefits : ) and the reason we all hang around.

• Shazia
    29 days ago

She sounds like someone I would have had a hoot with! Does anyone know her phone number to you know…give her a ring?

Jan, I better just get your phone number now bc well…we’re friends for life. 😂😂😂

• dani_m08
    29 days ago

It’s funny - Sophie was banned before I joined Houzz - but I still feel like I ”know” her after reading through so many older posts (I always search for an answer before personally asking a question).

Sophie Wheeler is the reason that I knew I needed to fire the contractor who was building my shower. The pvc liner was placed flat on the subfloor = no pre slope.

I also was able to show my new contractor exactly what had been done before the new walls went up - because I took MANY photos as work was being done per her suggestion.

Jan clearly has all of the expertise + natural talent that Sophie did re: design - HOWEVER, imagining Jan butchering a deer - or even bedazzling something - is extremely entertaining! 😂

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    28 days ago

Oh........................ I ran over a baby deer following its mom last summer. Was the absolute WORST EVER!!! Cried like a baby. I shall butcher nothing!

• dani_m08
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

But have you ever bedazzled anything??!?!?!!

• Paul F.
    27 days ago

I asked AI to create an image of "designer Jan Moyer butchering a deer in a clients living room".

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    27 days ago

I know ya just "LOOOVE" me babe, but it's WAY, way closer to this and not that lol

No offense taken : ) and that was a pretty ugly living room , too.

Really good hair day, can vary.........of course.

• Paul F.
    27 days ago

No offense meant. AI did that not me! Just funny what it will come up with on its own... I do believe there are deer legs coming out from the bottom of the skirt. Photoshop AI will not allow referencing famous people otherwise I'd try again with Jamie. I see her often at art galleries around here.

In fact, that is Jamie standing in front of Cindy Sherman photos at a museum. She is always at galleries that sell photos when I see her.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    27 days ago

A.I must be envisioning me on a really, really bad morning : )?

• dani_m08
    27 days ago

AI rendering is funny -

”really, really bad morning” = about 25 years from now after being driven on a wine drinking binge by a “pro bono Houzz” client !😂

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    27 days ago

There are those mornings.........now !

• dani_m08
    27 days ago

I have no doubt that you have those mornings now (I’ve read many threads where you’ve been very involved)! I just think that AI woman looks like she’s about 80+ yrs old = quite a bit older than you!

• Paul F.
    25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

@JAN MOYER Midjourney AI did this when I referenced you. Certainly more stylish. Nothing in the background makes sense. Do you recognize the outfit or the earrings? Fascinating how it decided to style you.