Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinall

HELP with picking bathroom floor

Tina
last month

I want to paint my bathroom vanity but before I attempt that I need to change the flooring. The problem is the fixtures are bone coloured. They are not being changed out to white. The countertop is neutral.
I have picked out a couple tiles but not sure what color looks best. The bathroom is not big so hard to get good pictures.

Comments (45)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last month

What does the tile look like in the tub/shower surround? Can we see that, too, before making a recommendation?

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

It is a one piece tub/shower, so no tile.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last month

I don't think I'd do any of these. How about something fun like a matte porcelain tile with a pattern?

Marmette Italian Cancun Matte 8x8 Porcelain Tile · More Info

D'Anticatto Decor Laterza Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile · More Info

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

I'm trying to post more pictures but having problems. I don't mind the 2nd one but a bit busy for me.

• susan49417
    last month

To me the tiles you have chosen don't look that different from what you have. If you are going to go to the time and expense of changing the floor, I would get something different from what you have.

• Kendrah
    last month

In your second picture, the third from the left has a lot of striation in it and I think will look too busy in a small bathroom. The same may be true to a lesser degree of the second from the left. The examples to the far right and far left won't have that problem. The sample on your floor next to the toilet seems fine. I don't personally like it, but the color seems fine.

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Kendra….yes the wavy one is too busy. The colours are good but I felt it was too busy too. The marble looking one is not as busy, but I had concerned the gray wouldn’t work, but seems to be a warmer gray. The picture with the 4 tiles standing up…the one on left is more of a sandy colour which does work, however the one on the right is a bit gray and not sure if it was too cool of a grey. The window faces west, so hard to get right lighting for pictures

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

I feel my current tiles are outdated because they are 12x12 and because there is a peach colour which I’m starting to hate. I also have that same tile in my kitchen, mudroom and my basement.

• RedRyder
    last month

I agree that your “new” choice looks too much like your existing tile. Have you looked at terrazzo tiles? They add some interest but aren’t as busy as a patterned tile. Here is one that I found that looks like it would work. The ivory ones could be stunning in that bathroom.

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Here is another look at the 2 tiles that I posted in the second pictures. They are the tiles on the right and left in that 2nd photo.
    Also I put a paint sample of Canvas Tan that shows the bone fixtures are very similar to that colour.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

I don't like any of them, very sorry. Lose the wall color ?

Put a great jewel color on the floor; a deep green, something less a porcelain yawn? And paint the vanity a shade or two lighter!

Match the bone of shower for walls and add some art, accent hand towels .

No law say you must use a large format------especially when dealing with a fiberglass tub surround.

Jazz it up : ) and a 7 x 8 with a newer shape could look super in there

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Jan, I love green but I am so afraid of picking a bold colour and then getting tired of it in a few years, but certainly something to think about. I did originally think of hex tile but wasn’t sure. Yes the walls will be changed out once I finally decide on floor and a paint colour for vanity.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

I think I would do something that maybe has more contrast and maybe a background color that is the cream color of the tub. That way you could shift to a different tone

Good luck

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Debbi….yes that makes sense but it is so hard to find those colours, so much gray out there. I do love gray but need to be cautious because of the warm tone of the fixtures. I like all 3 of those options. The gray would look nice if I keep the cabinet as is as it has some of that colour in it. Do you have info on those tiles?

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

I would like to thank everyone for your help. Everyone gave me some great suggestions. I will have to go back to flooring stores and keep looking.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

Those tile are from a company called Happy Floors. Hopefully there is a tile shop near you that carries them. They do have grays in them but that is not a bad thing since they are warmer grays.

I do also like a patterned tile like what Sabrina and Jan were mentioning.

Try going into the tile store again looking for a contrasting tile instead of a matching one and see what you come up with.

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you Debbi. I live in Canada so do not have Happy Floors here but I’m sure there are similar options in local tile stores.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Go to a dedicated TILE store!

Not a flooring-please:)

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Yes thanks Jan. A couple of my samples that were lvp tiles were from a flooring store and the few ceramic tile samples were from a tile store. If I go the ceramic route definitely a dedicated tile store.

• Kendrah
    last month

What color do you want to paint your vanity and will your walls change color? I'd much prefer a hex tile in your bathroom. I concur that it makes sense to use a neutral on the floor instead of going crazy with color there.

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

I can do light or dark. I do have cabinets on the wall so a dark colour may darken the room too much. I will paint walls once floor is decided and then from there I will have to decide on both vanity and wall colour.

Painting the walls is the least of my worries. I have painted all the walls in my house (myself) many times. Vanity will be more involved and taking out the ceramic tile will be a chore but the bathroom is not big. Husband thinks I’m nuts. He doesn’t think things go outdated.

• Kendrah
    last month

Remind me why you need to change the flooring? It goes with your fixtures and you dont have a vision for vanity or wall color. Why not keep your floor and fixtures and find a new shower curtain you love and select walls and vanity based on the curtain? (I swaet your husband did not ask me to say that.)

• jackowskib
    last month

I like the terrazzo idea for subtle punch of color, and would keep vanity as is but change knobs. Consider replacing vanity countertop to one with undermount sink (updated). A lighter beige on the walls that compliments with fixtures. Use accent color with rug, shower curtain, towels.....things you can easily change when wanting to "update" again.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I love this and can't remember who said it but it is a truth:

"More rooms have died from a lack of courage, than anything else"

I wouldn't wring a hand in fear of color. Wring a hand you might "tire" of it......?

I DO remember this gem 1980's ( Alexandra Stoddard)

'You will get just as tired of blah tan as any other color"....and she was dead right on that.

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Kendra…I want to paint the vanity because the oak is dated looking, so I thought well the floor should be changed before I paint it, plus the floor has peach in it which I think looks dated.

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Jackowskib….i do have towels and rug that coordinate with the walls and floor. Here is a picture of shower curtain and floor. I floor also has slight blue/grey in floor. I guess I just feel it’s outdated looking.

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Jan….I said I’m afraid to go bold but my ensuite does have cobalt blue tiles with white fixtures and I love the blue. Maybe because this bathroom is more open to the main areas of house. Gives me pause to go so bold, but I will keep my options open.
    Honestly I’m on Houzz a lot which is a great resource however it does make you feel what you have old and dated.
    Originally I was just thinking of painting vanity but I thought the floor was limiting me.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

Personally? I'd really limit the entire re do UNLESS you want new top, under mount sink, new faucet, and an alcove tub, with a tile. Ideally you want white, not bone, yes?

I'd lose the upper cabinetry if at all possible.

So.........it's really a question of how far and how much.

The floor tile? Isn't really the issue at all. jmho. : )

It's all the other. Which means the wisest might be to pick a paint and a shower curtain and wait/save for more.

• la_la Girl
    last month

I also think the flooring is pretty neutral and could be upgraded by adding a nice Ruggable that covers a lot of it -

if it were me, I would change out the counter, sink and faucet (and maybe the mirror + cabinet combo but it’s hard to see in the pics) then do a rug + wall paint I loved

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

That’s interesting about the floor. The tub will not change, not because I don’t want to change it but because my husband just will not do it. He build this house and he just doesn’t believe in changing things just because. LOL

I knew the upper cabinets probably needed to be removed but amazing how much you can store in there. I will think about that. As for the vanity, I never really thought about changing it because currently it is neutral and thought it coordinated well, it is also something to think about. If I change the vanity and sink, do I change toilet and sink to white or will that not look right having a bone coloured tub?

I don’t use this bathroom because I use my ensuite. My son is really the only one that uses it when he is not out of town working.

Wow, So much to think about.

• mnmamax3
    last month

If you change the tile in here, are you going to want to change the tile everywhere else as well? This stuff has a tendency to snowball -trust me!

I do really think what you have is all very cohesive - love the shower curtain. The cabinets are nice and appear to be in good shape.

I agree with some that your $ could be better spent on a new counter and faucet. Maybe lose the upper cabinets and replace with an updated mirror with a minimalist frame. You could go with the darker green tone in the curtain on the walls. Add a couple shelves above the toilet if needed for storage.

Maybe choose a new bamboo shade in a color similar to the cabinet for some more texture. Add sconces on the side of the mirror.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Hate to repeat myself.........

Stop gazing in there. You KNOW what you want, and it isn't going to happen.

Pick a wall color you love. Get over the "amazing" what you can fit in there storage..

Paint the vanity a soft white to blend with the bisque fixtures. Change the hardware! Get a great runner rug. Stop browsing the internet for ways to make your own house feel dated. It's a trip to misery.Leave the darn floor ALONE

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

Maybe you could take down the wall cabinets and mirror and put in a nice medicine cabinet?

Now seeing the other pictures, the only thing that seems " dated" ( I dislike that word ) is the top, sink and faucet. The rest looks clean, in good condition and goes well together.

Try getting a bolder shower curtain and floor matt and find a new paint color you like. The color of your cabinets is actually quite nice.

Try all of that before going onto something bigger.

Good luck! Make sure to post follow up pictures of the changes you make

• Kendrah
    last month

Honestly I’m on Houzz a lot which is a great resource however it does make you feel what you have old and dated. Originally I was just thinking of painting vanity but I thought the floor was limiting me.

Houzz is a store. These pics and discussion exist to make ad revenue and convince you to buy more things. Don't be swayed by all the brand new glitz.

There is a Buddhist saying: "First thought, good thought." Paint your vanity, get new hardware, get a new faucet.

Go through all of your storage cabinets in this bathroom. Throw out what you can. Are some things better placed in a hallway closet? If the wall cabinet is still needed, then keep it. Function over form.

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

lalagirl.....Thank you. Sounds like counter/sink/faucet might be a better option.

mnmamax3...Oh I know, i'm already thinking of ripping out tile in kitchen.

The cabinets in the bathroom are in excellent shape. I don't really need shelves for storage. What we have in upper cabinets can go in vanity or linen closet that is in the bathroom. The shade is an offwhite & only a few years old. I rarely pull the blind down, but if I keep vanity same colour I can see a bamboo shade would be nice.

Jan.....I know but honestly I like to go in houzz to learn about design, colour and such. My son will be building a house within next 1-2 years, so I like to see what is current to possibly give him some direction.

Debbie....thank you. Yes maybe counter/faucet/sink is the only thing to change. I will have to really think about that.

Kendrah....thank you. As mentioned above I do have enough storage so wall cabinets can be removed.

Ok, so I guess I need to step back & decide if it is worth it to change flooring. If not maybe direction is to paint vanity, consider removing wall cabinet, change mirror & maybe put in wall sconces.

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

lalagirl....Thank you. Sounds like counter/sink/faucet might be my best bet.

mnmax3...Oh I know. I am already thinking of rpping out tile in kitchen. Cabinets in bathroom are in excellent shape. I don't really need shelves for storage. What we have in uppre cabinets can go in vanity or the linen closet that is also in the bathroom. The window shade is a offwhite & only a few years old. We rarely pull the blind down, but a can see a bamboo shade would look nice if the keep the vanity as is.

Jan...I know but honestly I like to got o Houzz to learn about design, colour, outcome of the various discussions etc. My son is building a house within next 1-2 years, so I like to see what is current to give him some direction.....if he even will listen.

Ok, so I need to step back and decide if it is worth it to take my tile out. If not maybe direction is to paint vanity, consider removing wall cabinets, change mirror and put in wall scones.

Once again Thanks again.

• acm
    last month

I actually like the striated one, but only if the floor is the star of the show. If you just want it to disappear, you sort of need to decide what color you want to paint the vanity too!

• happyleg
    last month

It's all fine as is. Nothing wrong. Keep ur bathroom as is.

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Acm … yes, originally thinking of painting vanity light bit if I keep countertop as is that might be blah

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

Happy leg…..Haha…..you are definitely on the same team as my husband.

• jacksplash
    last month

• RedRyder
    last month

Keep exploring terrazzo tiles. But make the less expensive changed first (declutterring, faucet, etc.)

• RedRyder
    last month

*changes

• Tina
    Original Author
    last month

What type of faucet should I be looking at?