Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janeejones

Red Alert! Rug advice please or any advice really?

janeejones
last month

I am not sure what to do colorwise for rugs, pillows, coffee table, etc. to complete this room. I feel like it might be a complementary color scheme with the greyish blue and the rusty red. I hesitate to put more of either color in the room, but the rug samples i have tried just don't seem to pull it together. The wood tones are a caramel brown. The red floors are throughout the house.

The living room (pictured) has white walls and reclaimed wood beams. The house is kind of a pacific coast, mid-century arts and craft vibe, custom woodwork and reclaimed wood throughout. The are four posts which are 11½ feet apart; the sofas are 80 inches and are from Room and Board. They are in a silver/fog color so just a tint of blue in them. The previous owners left them (and a lot of other items) in the house. They have modern lines and are like new so I want to keep them and save some money. The fireplace is a big focal point and I have ordered two swivel chairs in a greyish blue chenille similar to the river rock used in it. They will be across from the fireplace. The perimeter of the room has a built in window bench and the cushion are in a caramel brown color.

Thank you!

I

Comments (12)

• Kendrah
    last month

I'd look at jute and sisal rugs. They always feel like an easy neutral in most any room. And, the natural textures will look great in your rustic setting. Your views are incredible. Enjoy your new home.

• janeejones
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you Kendrah! I havent tried tried either of those yet.

• stiley
    last month

What amazing views! I agree with Kendrah about the rugs, although I prefer seagrass because you can clean with liquids and they don't stain like sisal. Do you like greens? I feel like those would look good in your home too. And check out designer Heidi Callier; she does lots of homes in the Pacific NW and I think you'll be inspired.

• janeejones
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you so much! yes i am using green in other rooms it's great with the redwood, but i felt with the fireplace being blueish and big i should balance that with the grey/blue chairs in the living room. thanks for the info on Heidi Callier.

• Anne Duke
    last month

I love a hand knotted oriental rug on terracotta.

janeejones thanked Anne Duke
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

It looks like you have quite modern furniture why not just a really nice larg shag rug in a colr from the stone.

janeejones thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

West elm

janeejones thanked JAN MOYER
  • deegw
    last month

Many rug sites have tools that allow you to upload a photo to their site and it will insert rugs in your photo. Rugs Direct is one.

You're going to need a big rug! Many online sites have free shipping and returns but wrapping up and lugging a huge rug to UPS is not fun. A good tip is to order the smallest rug available to test out the color and texture in your space. If it doesn't work out it will be much easier to return.

janeejones thanked deegw
  • HU-910663146
    last month

If it were me, I would experiment with "softly" sponge painting some of the colors in your floor into your fireplace stone so they match. I don't mean the whole surface. I am just suggesting a very subtle thing in a few spots. You can always test a small section with latex and if it doesn't work, then remove.

janeejones thanked HU-910663146
  • rz2znp
    29 days ago

See this vacation rental link to the Wonder Haus. It is decorated in a way that compliments the tile floor which is very similar in color to your floor.

janeejones thanked rz2znp
  • Jilly
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

What a beautiful home and view! !

Rejuvenation has so many rugs I think would look wonderful in there.

janeejones thanked Jilly