Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_14768394

Updating Exterior on 70s Home

HU-14768394
last month
last modified: last month

Hello! Husband and I are looking to paint and update exterior of our house we bought a couple of years ago. Removing the rock is not an option so trying to decide how to make it look more "today". Thinking overgrout but the problem is some of the rock really protrudes far vs some examples ive seen online where it looks much flatter so not sure if that would work... open to any ideas on paint, rock updating, (front door the rounded windows must go), and landscaping :)

Comments (11)

• cat_ky
    29 days ago

I like the stone just the way it is. I would also like to see the door stand out more with a color, so it looks less like a black hole. I dont mind the color that is on the house, but, if you want to paint it, I would suggest a light gray, that goes with both the stone and the roof. The gray should not be a gray that shows brown. Needs to be a true gray. No over grouting. It is nice just the way it is.

• callirhoe123
    29 days ago

To my eye, the stone is the home's best feature' I'd remove those dark shrubs that cover some of it and grow only low things below the stonework. Let it shine!

• woodrose
    29 days ago

I agree with cat_ky, leave the stone as is and concentrate on the rest of the house. You will have a maintenance nightmare when paint stone. Kazzh gave you some good advice also.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    29 days ago

I love the round door! I think it makes the house! Paint it a lighter color as has been suggested already. I would also choose a grey that matches the stone for the siding and get rid of those overgrown shrubs and trim that tree on the left. Is there a reason you have no trees out back? That would be a priority for me-trees and a garden.

• Sigrid
    28 days ago

It's a great house, with a Japanese vibe. I like the rounded bit. I'm not a fan of removing quirky, individual features. Perhaps, it's the lighting, but I don't think the beige goes with the stone. I think if you painted the siding white or light gray, it would make the house look very "today".

• HU-14768394
    Original Author
    24 days ago

UPDATE: We removed the shrubs (minus one which we will tackle next weekend because we weren't sure if we wanted it or not) and the tree on the right and it opens it up so much and shows the dimension of the house a lot more! I was actually thinking Urbane Bronze for the paint color, ill include some pics below. With maybe black trim. And now you guys are making me consider leaving the rounded windows but replacing the glass in them hmmmm. We are leaving the tree on the left for now as it provides shade over our kids rooms in the hot summer and our "AC" sucks because of our insulation. For the one that asked about trees out back, we have 5 acres so lots of trees they are just setback pretty far from the house. Most the trees you see in the below pic behind the house are ours.

(all on the to do list) lol

Urbane Bronze Inspo

• cat_ky
    24 days ago

No urban bronze on your house. Your inspriration pictures look nice, but, those houses are two story. Your house is not. Your house, has a Japanese look to it, and is best kept very light.

• Colin Etheridge
    24 days ago

Agree with the others - the inspiration color is going to make the house look small and dark. (I ran into that when painting mine.) With the stone, a light, neutral color with possibly cool tones will work best. You could whitewash the stone as well, especially if it's in the south. Wood shutters may look good to draw more attention to the windows. Since the house is short, you want to highlight features like that and keep it feeling bright.

Unfortunately, unless you change the roofline and/or make structural changes like blowing the round opening square, it'll lean more 70s in look. Planting wise, I'd pull in something like backwoods and knockouts and go for a few pops of color.

• pricklypearcactus
    23 days ago

Your stone is beautiful. I think the problem is that the current color (yellow-ish) clashes with the stone (cool gray with hints of white and blue). Would you consider a light sage green? You need something that works well with the pale gray roof, very light gray/white stone, and the low profile shape of the house.

• elcieg
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

White: and black for all the trim...even the railings.