Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_683500858

Is it ok to have a low planter next to house (if there is a drain)?

J Stu Interios
29 days ago

I have built a small plant bed next to my house in my backyard (in which I will obviously not plant anything with big roots). I am planning on building a paver patio that will butt up against it, with the top of the pavers almost flush with the top brick (they will be 1/4-1/2 inch below). I have built this planter partly because this future patio would have been the same level as the weep screed. So the grade in the planter is lower than the patio will be. Should I be concerned about rain collecting in this planter and damaging the foundation? It is not an area that gets much rain; no runoff from my roof. And the planter grade is the same as what the grade will be around the side of the house. There will be a small step up onto the pavers where that piece of wood is at the top of the photo. And I have put drainage holes in that end of the brick edging. I also put a 3inch drain pipe under the brick edging just incase there are any issues. If there are, I can locate that and connect it to my yard drainage system.

Any advice much appreciated. Just looking for some reassurance before I go ahead and install the patio! If really necessary I can lower the patio but would like it to be roughly the same height as the rest of my existing backyard. (The patio will obviously drain slightly away from the house).

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!