Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabriel_simon94

Update: 2nd story addition (teardown/rebuild) finally finished!

Gabe
last month

https://imgur.com/a/gPvoun9

I posted previously about our plans to convert our small (~1600sqft) single-story home into something that could accommodate our growing family (4 young kids). Well, we're finally finished and I wanted to post an update. The whole process took ~2.5 years: after we signed the initial contract it took a few months for us to get plans and then a few more months for us to decide to pull the trigger and finalize everything. Then it took 11 months for our permits to be approved and almost exactly 1 year of construction.

The attached album details the highlights of the construction process.

We were super-fortunate to be able to live next-door in a rental the whole time and watch the construction in real-time. The construction process was fascinating and I really enjoyed learning what goes into building a house. We initially thought of this as a "remodel" but as you can see, it was really more of a tear-down/rebuild. The only parts of the original structure we kept were the master bedroom and two small bathrooms - everything else was basically rebuilt from scratch.

We moved back in to the home last week and it's been wonderful. The kids all have their own rooms, the kitchen is dreamy, and it feels like we finally have enough space to co-exist happily.

It was seriously expensive, but not really more expensive than buying a similar newish home in the area. It seemed like a crazy idea when we were considering it in the beginning, but now that we're done it feels great! Happy to answer any questions

Comments (4)