Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devleena71

Please help me choose a tile floor

Leena
last month

We have to chnage the floor tiles in the family kitchen area. our kitchen marble countertop is very busy. what would be your pick for floor tiles with this countertop? what about wall color?

thanks!

Comments (29)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Not enough information, not enough pictures. Your counter top seems to be granite, not marble, and the first question you ask is do you love it with white cabinetry?

The second thing you do is show more of everything, add pictures.... and inform the flooring that connects to the tile you're changing with pictures as well.

• Boxerpal
    29 days ago

Please post more photos! It helps you because we can see what is going on and can chime in to guide you. There are some amazingly brilliant designers and artists with creative talent that offer their help for free. But, without a photos no one can see to help you.

Why do you have to change the floors? Are they damaged? Cracked?

Are you changing them because the granite is busy? Maybe the granite is the problem.

How much floor do you have?

How big is the space?

Does it open to other rooms? Can you see the floors from the family room or living room or the rest of the house?

What is your budget?

If this were my house and I loved the granite. (Which I do, I think it is very pretty) I would change the floors to be a red or white oak with a medium warm stain. I would only change the floors if I was changing all the floors throughout my house because I happen to love wood floors. But the floors you have look great with your granite.

Looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing the fabulous ideas from some of our Houzz Gurus.

• Maureen
    29 days ago

Are you changing or keeping backsplash (provide picture of entire kitchen), what type of tile are you considering, do you prefer light or dark? Paint decision should come last to pull all the components together, and if needed, suit adjoining spaces for flow. Start with the big picture.

• herbflavor
    29 days ago

dont think the counter is very busy. nice to say good bye to the dark gray floor.

I would do something as shown below.... 1st is plain oak floor. 2nd and 3rd are porcelain and then vinyl tiles in wood looks. the beautiful warm part of the counter is what Id work with Looks like a few tones will coordinate....... Bring samples home......[ normally the counter bullnose hangs OVER the

cabinet and drawer fronts a bit] keep the dribbles wiped up because you dont want damage to the drawers ....

Old Mill Park · More Info

Porcelain plank wood look tile installations Tampa, Florida · More Info

Medium Oak Plank-Look 12"x12" Self Adhesive Vinyl Floor Tile, 20 Tiles/20 Sq Ft. · More Info

• ShadyWillowFarm
    29 days ago

What is the budget? I would do a lighter gray stone or stone look tile.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    29 days ago

Waht are the floors in the spaces around this kitchen? Why do you have to have tile at all. You do of course know that all that has to be removed anyway so really you can do whatever you want. I too love the granite so much more beautiful than any fake plastic stone . At least post pics of the whole kitchen for sure . Post the pics here in comments DO NOT start another post.

• Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you so much everyone! we had water damage from rain. insurance is covering living room wall (hardwood), wall color, and tile floor in kitchen and family room (connected). The granite counter is something we cannot change. and the white cabinet stays as it is. The tile color is very bad and we didnt like it. I am glad we have the opportunity to change it. This is how the current tile floor is. our wall color is very light blue but we can change if needed.

• Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you so much everyone! we had water damage from rain. insurance is covering living room wall (hardwood), wall color, and tile floor in kitchen and family room (connected). The granite counter is something we cannot change. and the white cabinet stays as it is. The tile color is very bad and we didnt like it. I am glad we have the opportunity to change it. This is how the current tile floor is. our wall color is very light blue but we can change if needed.

• Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

We want to keep tile in the kitchen and family room. Damaged living room hardwood floor will be replaced, whole living room will be sanded and restained.

• Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

We changed to white cabinet couple of years ago. To give you ideas about the new farmhouse type look that i was going for. now we have the oppourtunity to change the blue/ash tiles

• Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

We were told by insurance company to keep the cost at medium range not too high and not very low. Not sure what it means since i have no clue on the cost of tiles. They are covering everything

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    29 days ago

Taking a step back and looking at the larger view, I like what you've got now, it coordinates nicely with the granite and ties in with other elements in the area. What about something similar, a mid to dark grey but in a large format tile?

Leena thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Do you think a light ivory with some Beige will look better?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    29 days ago

NO to polished tile. Glossy polished tile is too slippery for use in a kitchen.

Leena thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • herbflavor
    29 days ago

if you are worried about price...get to a local flooring retail store. they will have a simple oak hardwood of some sort/ at a reasonable cost.....product and labour. It will add value to your property. I would not put in any of the tiles of a ceramic variety. You can upgrade and stay within a "moderate budget "

Leena thanked herbflavor
  • Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

I would love to get a tile if possible. would you guys recommend not to go with light color?

• Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Hwo about something like this? got this picture from Google

• Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Our ceilings are low.. so i was thinking light color may make the area look bigger? Love the suggestion for the large format tile.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    29 days ago

Sorry, no. What is your goal? To make the room look bigger or better? White tile floors with white cabinets are cold and uninviting. Wood will make it better by warming it up.

Which kitchen looks more inviting to you?

Ford Plantation Residence · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

If you want more input to this topic, here's an old discussion that still has a lot of merit:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2406093/can-you-have-white-cabinets-if-you-have-a-white-floor#n=12

Leena thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    29 days ago

Do a light gray rectangular tile offset pattern. Paint the blue walls a creamy white. It’s the blue on the walls and the blue in the current floor tiles that doesn’t work.

Leena thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you for sharing the link to the older thread. loved the ideas there.

• k8cd
    29 days ago

Love what you did with the bay window. It looks very cozy, especially with your cute doggie!

I would also do wood floors. But if you go with tile, ask that the grout lines be as small as possible.

Will insurance pay to redo the fireplace surround? Please say yes!

Leena thanked k8cd
  • Leena
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Yes.. insurance will do the fireplace surround. i am thinking of replacing the fireplace to electeical.

• PRO
    lisedv
    29 days ago

With the small picture I see, I would suggest a gray slate tile, something like below. However, it would be nice to see more of the kitchen for more context.

• Leena
    Original Author
    15 days ago

we went with white large format tiles, and love the end result. Sharing a few pictures

• Boxerpal
    14 days ago

Wow what a transformation. Looks like you got what you wanted.

Good for you.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    14 days ago

Very pretty! Your view is lovely.