Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_119278769

Remove this wall?

Shannombu
last month

Morning. Considering this house.

1. should I remove this wall between eat-in kitchen and dining/family room (put island where wall is)?

2. if so, how will it look considering the cathedral ceiling and beams?

3. if not, do I leave the peekaboo “window” and keep original layout?

Any other ideas? Thanks:-)

Comments (11)

• jackowskib
    last month

Consider drawing out the layout for the entire kitchen area with measurements to determine if/how an island would be placed. Kitchen doesn't appear big enough to have an island in it but if the peekaboo window was closed up there may be better options to join kitchen and eating area to flow together better.

• Shannombu
    Original Author
    last month

Kitchen/eat-in/pantry quote large. Plenty of space. You are only seeing part of it.

• Shannombu
    Original Author
    last month

Main thing is—what does is look like when you remove a wall that has cathedral ceiling? Can’t envision.

• auntthelma
    last month

Instead of removing the wall, what f you only remove the cabinets below the cut out window and make the window into a doorway?

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last month

Well, for one thing, you’ll be dealing with 2 different heights of ceiling. I have no advice on that. I’ve had cathedral ceilings and they can be beautiful but with a kitchen you should consider the smells and the noise and privacy for cooking and subsequent mess.

• Shannombu
    Original Author
    last month

Love the doorway idea!

• mmc429
    last month

I would not remove that wall. You could consider extending the peekaboo window across the triptych art shelf you have. That would eat into your pantry, but maybe you have enough room to turn the pantry into lower kitchen drawers and rebuild the pantry narrowly across from where it is currently. That new length could become a large countertop with stools under if you like and have room.

• Shannombu
    Original Author
    last month

Very good idea, thank you!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month
    last modified: last month

You won't be able to remove the wall entirely, probably only to the top of the door frame because you have HVAC above the ceiling in the next room. No vaulted ceiling in the next room.

Depending on what's holding up the ceiling ridge beam, you may have to maintenance the column holding up the ceiling beam.

This wall in the next room could be supporting the ridge beam in the vaulted ceiling. If that's the case, this wall is not coming out. That's why this kitchen layout is so very wonky.

• chispa
    last month

Make an appointment to see the house again and pay a contractor a consultation fee to come with you. Someone needs to look in the attic to get an idea of what walls can be removed and give you a rough estimate. Would you still buy it if those walls can't be removed or if doing it will cost more than you would want to pay?

• Paul F.
    last month

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz