Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sb_naz

Help needed! Redesigning U-shaped kitchen

sb_naz
last month

Hello! This is my first time posting, but I've been reading Kitchen discussions here for the past 2 years as I've been contemplating my own renovation and really value the advice this community has to offer. We moved to our house about 2.5 years ago and we're finally preparing to renovate the very outdated original kitchen. This is the current layout:

This layout is really not working for our family - I have 3 young kids and we cook pretty much all of our meals at home. We also have in-laws living with us about 50% of the time, so the kitchen gets a lot of use. The U-shape makes it difficult for more than 1 person to actively use the kitchen at a time. I also don't like having the cooktop on the peninsula for safety and aesthetic reasons.

I have had several different ideas for kitchen layouts over time, but right now what I'm leaning towards is doing this L-shaped kitchen with a large island:

I realize I'm losing cabinet storage with this redesign, but we'll also be adding a pantry into an existing 5x6-ish sized wet bar area that is going unused in the family room next door. I'd really value others' suggestions for my kitchen layout - Is there something that will work better than the L-shaped ktichen? What direction do you recommend orienting the island and how do I determine the size of the island? Have I missed thinking of something?? Thank you in advance!!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Better drawings?

Better if you could eek it out

• sb_naz
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Jan Moyer! I had considered putting the fridge along that wall, but whatever is there will be visible from the front door (since the wall leading to the foyer is a little shorter than the back wall of the kitchen), and I thought it would look strange for a fridge to be the first thing you spot in the kitchen. Thoughts?

• Jenny
    last month

You could wrap your refrigerator so that you were seeing a wood side panel rather than a metal fridge side. Ideas like these: https://www.pinterest.com/ambiecat7399/refrigerator-side-panel-ideas/

Besides your stove with attractive hood will draw their eye instead.

• sb_naz
    Original Author
    last month

That's a nice idea - thanks Jenny!

• lharpie
    last month

The fridge should have cabs around it - i don’t think the view is a problem. it gives you more prep space between sink and stove which is sorely needed with multiple cooks! and better lets a second person prep on island out of way of person using the stove. looks much better than your current kitchen!

• chicagoans
    last month

Another vote for the refrigerator where Jan has it. Look into panel-ready if you are concerned about a view of the fridge (but note it will be more expensive.)

Here’s an old but good thread about kitchen layout flow:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2699918/looking-for-layout-help-memorize-this-first

• sb_naz
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for your input lharpie and chicagoans! I’m really warming up to the idea of keeping the fridge in that spot. It might be worth the extra expense of a paneled fridge for me, given its visibility from the entry.

Now, just doing some math - if I add 36” for fridge + 24” for dishwasher + 30” for sink, that puts me at 90”. I’m assuming I need to add a couple inches of space between each item, so my sink is going to end up being closer to the corner, rather than centered on the window. Is that right? Does that still leave enough work space between the sink and the range?

• theresa21
    last month
    last modified: last month

Would there be enough room to squeeze a shallow 12' depth pantry cabinet on the third wall? Otherwise, you'll have a blank wall that might be cause for a decorating dilemma on what to do with that wall, and it will give you lots of space for pantry items within the kitchen if you add a pantry cabinet.

Even though there are advantages to having the fridge on the sink wall, I might be tempted to keep the fridge where you located it (attached layout) because then the sink will be centered under the window and it won't be too tight in the corner. It's nice to be able to access a sink from two sides. Plus, you won't have to squeeze a DW between the sink and the fridge and you won't be blocking too much natural light from the window. You'll also have a good amount of prep space between the sink and the range. And the convenience of having silverware and glassware in cabinets that are close to the DW is also a plus.

sb_naz thanked theresa21
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

This drove me a bit bats

Could you steal ONE foot from the dining room?

Could you live with a 60 inch window including casing? I have not yet had adequate coffee..........might be able to keep 70" : )

I ask, because at some point, you just don't have room for what you want. A window at that size is plenty of light and view.

You'd have enough prep and work surface, in logical work/prep order.......

We aren't seeing the rest of the space, pictures or drawing. But. These small kitchens with peninsulas, sliders etc? Are abundant all over the USA. Different times: ) back then.

Whatever and good luck : ) but I'd be trying for that foot. That can be 30 or 36" range, splurges depending to include the clad fridge, drawer micro which is great for kids, and good venting. Lots of good "pink" surface counter

Nice hiding spot under the shelves left corner at range wall end, penciled in incorrectly lol - but you could really use that darn foot, no matter what.

• Lorraine Leroux
    29 days ago

I am unsure about your concern for space for the fridge on the left of your sink run as you show you have 48" of space in your drawing. I am unsure why you feel your sink will not be centred? Is your drawing incorrect?

• maggieq
    29 days ago

Going off Jan's recommendation, could you change the slider to a single full glass door and get the extra foot from that area?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago

Cheaper to move an interior wall, and without seeing slider? My guess is she would still need the space for a breakfast area.

Unless the change is from a six foot to a five foot slider? Probably don't want to swing a door inward to a breakfast table.

• sb_naz
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Wow, thanks so much for all of this insight! I'm attaching a rough sketch of our main floor layout - it's not to scale, but will give you an idea of what we're working with. I do not think we can steal a foot from the dining room - we actually eat all of our meals there and it's our favorite room in the house! It also has a vaulted ceiling that we love. We don't have a breakfast table in front of the sliding door. The other side of the sliding door is our family room / kids space.

I'm open to stealing space in front of the sliding door, but I'm not sure how involved a change involving the exterior door is?

Lorraine, it's actually 43.25" between window edge and sliding door - sorry, my layout wasn't exactly clear.

As to the existing space, if everything can fit in without the sink being centered, I think I don't mind that. My sink isn't centered right now, and it doesn't look odd. The island seating also isn't as important - we don't need four seats. Three seats would be ideal, but even 2 would be okay for me. Again, we always eat in the dining room, so I see this as a space the kids might sit while snacking or working on projects with me, rather than a meal space.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

You REALLY should take that sketch of the first floor, put every wall, window , feet and inches on it.

Just saying..........: ) I mean accurately. Very. All of it

• sb_naz
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thanks theresa21 for that suggestion! One of the ideas I've toyed with is actually keeping the run of cabinets along the wall where you suggested a pantry, and including a built in fridge where the pantry is now. Then I'd also have microwave in an upper shelf on that side and have space for a coffee/tea station there. That would eliminate a lot of the double traffic inside the kitchen since a lot of times someone is coming in to make a cup of coffee or tea or warm up a plate of food from the fridge. I think there may be space for a very narrow island in that situation - I have about 10'3" from the sink edge to the pantry doors.

• sb_naz
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Jan, I will do it sometime, I hope! My tape measurer is very short and my kids are very impatient...